Scoutrifles and similar weapons

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Dragonblood, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Dragonblood

So the scoutrifles get buffed in GU7. That's good because they suck compared to the full-automatic weapons this game is littered with.
    .....Anyway what will be the point of taking semiautomatic-sniperrifles after the patch? The semi-scout and semi-sniperrifles are far too similar, because their effective range is almost the same.
  2. zaspacer

I use and love both the Semi-Auto (Spectre) and Scout Rifle (Nyx) for the VS Infiltrator. They have definite similarities, but they are different weapons, that are used differently, and they fit different niches.

Spectre hits harder and has much better kill-power range, whlie the Nyx is faster vs multiple targets, easier to finish off wounded foes, and better in shotgun mode (with Laser Dot). The Spectre is a finesse and harder hitting gun that crawls slowly through its ammo with precision shots, while the Nyx is the weaker punch that requires more shots to take out targets and has more time open on the trigger due to its no bullet sway.
  3. Dragonblood

yeah, but what if the Nyx gets its damage output buffed......then it's a Spectre without sway and much better hipfire accuracy.
  4. zaspacer

If I could add/remove the Suppressor in the field, then I would use the TR and NC versions w/ 6x. Because it would let me use them well in close-medium range with Suppressor, then use them at medium-long range without Suppressor (if needed). But I can't, so I don't use either weapon. The nail in the coffin for me using the NC/TR versions was the Occupied Enemy Turret bug, since before they also allowed me to kill opponents you hacked out of turrets. Now that you can't I just prefer to run with a Bolt Action w/ Suppressor and 6x Scope for close-medium (and into far range if needed) range, an SMG for close range, and a Bolt Action with Scope 12x for long range. Because the VS Nyx and Spectre have no bullet drop they are great running them w/ Suppressor for close-medium-long range, and I use them as my most fun and most played weapons.
    • Up x 1
  5. Cryptek

My guess is that they'll give the Nyx and other semi-automatic scout rifles more ammo.
  6. Plague Rat

They're being redesigned fill in our midrange niche now that the advent of SMGs took over the close range option. Don't expect either of the scouts to replace the sniper rifles. Their effective ranges aren't the same. You can easily get kills around the 150m mark with a semi sniper. The semi-scouts lower damage and 33% more bullet drop, and higher recoil, and lower damage requiring additional follow-ups to kill makes this a bit of a tall order without your target evading or a better equipped sniper dropping you first.

Don't expect it to turn into a sniper rifle, if anything it'll probably look more like a battle rifle when this is all said and done, becuase it's the mid-range capability that the scouts are going to be specialized for.
  7. zaspacer

First off, this is just my feedback based on extensive use with my playstyle: 6x Scope w/ Suppressor, close-mid-long range gameplay. There are different scope options for each, and I have not explored these except for 12x Scope with Spectre. (12x Scope Spectre feels supbar to 12x Scope Bolt Action unless you want to Harass instead of kill. If you want to Harass or chase off, Spectre is better for putting more bullets on more targets faster and easier)

Check out the Nyx and Spectre at this link, set it to "Damage":
    http://ps2model-axiom.rhcloud.com/#dps/la/1/26007/33

That is really the area where the Spectre outperforms the Nyx. Specifically:
    1) Higher Damage per shot
    2) Being significantly more effective at Long Range

Spectre also has a better Ammo Pool, which actually is a factor:
    1) Spectre crawls slowly through its ammo with precision shots, and with pauses between Hold Breath and re-aiming
    3) Nyx burns through Ammo faster because its weaker punch that requires more shots to take out targets, plus it has more time open on the trigger due to its no bullet sway
    It feels like the Nyx should be the one with the more Ammo. With the Nyx I run into Ammo problems so often that it becomes a frequent problem in even average length engagements. I would suggest buffing the Nyx Ammo Pool from 50 to 70-100.

The Nyx is better than the the Specrte in these area:
    1) No Aim Sway: faster vs multiple targets, easier to finish off wounded foes, easier to keep track of and stay on target
    2) better in shotgun mode (with Laser Dot)

IF they were to increase the Nyx so that it had the same Damage as the Spectre, at all ranges, then I totally agree that it would completely outclass the Spectre.

All that said, the Spectre and Nyx are currently my most fun guns to use in the game.
  8. Wayfar

Scouts don't suck. At least the bolts.I love the finesse. Mid range at least. Can pick off a guy with 2 hits while he sprays and prays. Not that I don't mind a buff. :)

I like the idea of a mid range weapon. Just linger behind team or in the crowd and help soften them up.

Good for finishing off a target. Good for swiping a kill.
  9. Plague Rat

There are no bolt action scout rifles. What you're using is a full on sniper rifle with iron rail and low zoom options. It won't be effected by the update, so you'll still be able to enjoy it as is.

Scout rifles is a seperate classifcation for the lighter infiltrator weapons that were meant to serve more like standard infantry weapons.
    • Up x 1
  10. (-)IONS

yay, hopefully my HSR-1 with 2x Reflex and suppressor wont take 500,000,004 head shots to kill someone now!
  11. Tnsr

Where do I find the announcement about the changes?
  12. Dragonblood

@ Plague rat: Anyone who says that the semiautos are effective past 150m range.....yeah, that's just bogus. And yes, I have killed a lot of guys past 150m with my auto-sniper, but that doesn't make it effective. Every target that doesn't move after being hit the first time by a semiauto-sniper at this range is either afk or dumb. Moving makes it really hard to hit....so you need a couple of shots and that will make every idiot HA with a LMG to fire at your position.....at that point you can just run away, because while getting hit your scope shakes like crazy.

My best use of the autosnipers are base defense at medium/short distance behind cover....but that's about it...
    • Up x 1
  13. Dramma Lamma

^^^ THAT ^^^ is an amazing suggestion.

The only real things I want them to buff with the scout rifles is a bit more bullet velocity, they cant kill in one shot and at mid range it just does not feel fast enough to land multiple rounds like it needs.

And a tad more damage at range and Some less recoil on repeated shots would be cool too.
    The option for advanced lazer sight and extended mag would be awesome also. (The auto ones could really use this)

I would really like to see a burst fire mode for the automatic scout rifles also.
  14. Timeraider

I still have my loadout with my Shadow waiting for this. Before SMG it was an awesome gun though.. now they are just outperformed on every single role.
  15. OldMaster80

Bolt action scout rifles? Sorry, are you sure you know what's a Scout Rifle? [IMG]

Scout Rifles are nice mid range automatic weapons that were added in December to fill the lack of a cqc weapon after devs removed shotguns from Infiltrators armory during beta. Scout Rifles are like the smaller sisters of the carbines, they are not bad but they have a huge problem: ammo capacity is ridicolous. The SOAS-20 has a 20 ammo clip size which means that missing the target = death because you immediately run out of ammo. Moreover at close they get outperformed by most of automatic weapons. Result is that 99% of Infiltrators goes for the SMG whenever it's possible.

What I expect after the Scout Rifle buff is that they will actually become an alternative to the semi-auto sniper rifles. Today I'm using the KSR-35 and it's not bad, but it won't let you survive in a face to face combat.