Scout Radar Changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LibertyRevolution, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Obscura

Since always, thats how it affects all radar. They probably stood up at some point when you passed them, but if you remain crouched then you won't be detected. Thats why I have crouch on toggle, especially for those random lone ESF's that hunt infantry with scout radar. I find that alot of people don't know about this, its quite handy
  2. UberBonisseur

If you think the Scout radar didn't make much of a difference, you're in denial.
    Think of a permanent UAV in CoD. That's basically what it is.

It's absurd that a Flash gets a better radar than a Sunderer. Not just that, but I'd actually be balanced to put the 100m radar on the Sundy and the 30m radar on the Flash. Not only the resource cost somehow balances it, but you can't park it upstairs in complete safetly

ESFs are another issue; yes, their radar is too good, but that's because they can basically kill any infantry easily. Once again the Gal should have the big radar, not the ESF.

tl;dr
    Give bigger radar ranges to bigger vehicles
    • Up x 2
  3. VSMars

Yeah, this. I want my AWACS Galaxy!
  4. skyN3T

From where did you ever get the idea that stationary targets won't be detected? Source? Link?

As far as I know and as far as I tested - all radar-like devices detect and show stationary targets. Stop spreading misinformation unless you can prove it with at least one official link or video.

I DO hunt crouched/stationary infantry. They ALWAYS show up on radar. I don't know where you get that from. I confirmed it many times. And even if I was wrong, its just one step, you blink on radar and you get hunted by Thermal. But I would like to see an official description on that. Maybe you stood where you couldn't be or hardly be shot on so they gave up.
  5. Emerald11

Meanwhile every "update" of the game contains some small improvements but big downgrades for things were OK for a long time. With every update SOE reduces my fun at this game. Now the scout radar got a downgrade. I'm sure, min. 90 % of people have certed the Flash version to max level would never had done this on these terms. The Flash is the only one vehicle not protecting the driver against incoming damage. So sitting there is like calling "Kill me!".

The scout radar has worked at the way until GU13 for more than 9 months now. Why this change? When it was so OP, why it was not changed earlier during Beta our in the first weeks? To change such things after such a long time is like fraud. It's like you have bought a car and when you were in the garage they have replaced your 4 liter V8 400 horse power engine by a 100 HP 1.2 l engine because such a big engine is not common now and the new one emits less CO2 now.

For me it's finally clear now: no renewal of my membership, no more money for SC in future and no inviting friends of course. I play for free now and stop when SOE angers me still.
    • Up x 2
  6. UberBonisseur

Because it's not "in your face OP".

It's not like getting killed by a shotgun or getting lolpodded, you just don't realize the guy always has the drop on you. A round of CoD with the UAV online is very different, except everybody will take the Predator instead, which is much less useful.
    90% of the playerbase only cares about gun balance.
    • Up x 1
  7. ghnurbles

No-one I know has ever thought the Flash radar to be anything less than OP. The change is a good one.

Still gonna happen. All you have to do is stand still and you won't show on the radar.
  8. Pootisyourassoff

where do you find the changes? im probably just stupid
  9. Lady Majestica

Sigh. This is why I have come to hate GU. Not because of the actual changes to the game, but because for the next 2 weeks the forums will be full of crybabies posting their "I'm done, SOE killed PS2 with ....... changes in the last GU"
  10. PYRo_21

It's funny how I continually fall into this trap that Free to Play MMO oriented games will continue to be enjoyable. Every time, patch after patch it gets worse until the game no longer follows the same ideas or concepts that caught your interest in the first place.

Funny how it always happens after I load $150+ dollars of SC onto my account. Not another purchase will be made for this game. I should still give credit where credit is due though right?

Good job SOE, the joke's on me.
    • Up x 2
  11. Vortok

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...date-13-july-24-2013-6am-pdt-3pm-cest.142483/

• Proximity Radar now only detects moving players, like the recon tool
    Try reading the patch notes (what this thread is about) before getting all high and mighty.
  12. battlebrot

Was unnecessary imo, it was a tactical element, but probably a bit op... now its just boring, dangerous and not very rewarding (XP wise)
    I would have had a few ideas about how to tune it:
    • Make the Radar working in a 180° semicircle in front of it - so if you want full radar coverage again, you would need a second flash, deployed in a different angle -> requires teamwork.
    • lower the scan rate severly -> makes it unable to track players and get behind them
    • Idea of a erroneous radar signature -> Instead if clear dots, let it be more random (some dusty pattern maybe), or some false alarms. (But make it somehow that the minimap doesnt turn completely red when there are a lot of enemies around)
    • Give some sort of countermeasures: radar is always active (it emits energy), so give some sort of counter against it: give the Recon Darts a second, larger radius. This detects enemy Radar flashes, and the area covered by the Dart after certing is linked to the Flash's certing line: 0/40/60/80/100/100 m. Or sth other.
    • Make the Flash that it has to deploy before the radar can get active: it then deploys a large antenna (similar to the antenna ball cosmetic, only higher) -> unable to deploy inside buildings, not so easy to hide anymore, no radar-on-the-go
    Just some quick ideas which i think that they would be more... elegant.
    Note that my english may be not so elegant :D
    • Up x 1
  13. VSMars

People standing still - even crouching in corners - showed up on my scout radar just fine so far and died for their silliness. I don't see anything in the patch notes which would change that.
    • Up x 1
  14. Obscura

You sound very condescending, like you're typing this angrily haha.

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Scout_Radar
    It says nothing about detecting stationary targets.

I'm not entirely sure if you can be crouch walking and be detected but I know that if you're still and crouched(probably stand as well) you won't be detected(from my experience). As infiltrator all you have to do is crouch in between charging your cloak and you wont show up on radar. Feel free though to make/find a video proving me wrong, you seem to have your jimmies in a rustle over it.
  15. PYRo_21

That would be far better. Similar to the sunderer.
  16. skyN3T

No need to take it all personally dude. Yes it was my fault not checking that sh*t, no need to get this passive-aggressive attitude, I built only on the OP (where it is not mentioned) and my past experiences. And I think I was far from "high and mighty" thats why I asked for a link (and because im too lazy to dig it up myself). That goes to Obscura as well, I dont think that I was so offensive at all. Maybe my wording was not appropriate.

Calm down dudes.

I'm still under the impression that (pre-patch now as I'm enlightened) stationary targets showed up on radar. At least yesterday my device picked up a lot of them camping under bridges, random trees, etc. that's why I'm not assured despite the patch notes. Maybe even rotating/reloading counts as moving?

P.S.
    I'm really thinking I should use more emoticons to avoid this cyberspace-who-is-angry-i-am-not sh*t. :oops:
  17. Ganelon

As an outfit leader, I'll probably be the one sitting on the Scout radar Flash. Most of the time I'm standing still looking at the map or talking on command chat anyway.
    • Up x 1
  18. irewolf

Scout radar is important when defending. What about an engi turret that shows up enemies or perhaps some sort of security system, that gives the base owners radar and stops base turrets being hacked until it is destroyed.
  19. maxkeiser

I agree with this. Sunderer and Gal should both have radar/command scan options. The Gal could have an AWACS style upgrade and the sunderer could also have a radar array on the roof. That would be excellent.
  20. skyN3T

Eff me had to quote it again. Dude you quoted proxy radar changes, while I'm talking about Scout radar. So I had all right to go "High and Mighty" :p And this thread is about scout radar :oops: