[Suggestion] Rotate map bonuses to inspire action on less played maps

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tankalishious, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Tankalishious

As topic says. Rotate air/vehicle/deployables bonus/repair ammo tower etc to different maps each day or similar to get more action on for ex. Hossin. This will minimize Indarside etc.
    • Up x 2
  2. TheSunlikeOne

The continents themselves have to be revamped in order to "inspire action on less played maps". There won't be more fights just because of bonuses, if the playing on them is frustrating.
    • Up x 3
  3. GoTDirt fromMAG

As an improvement, I think this'd be a little bit of one.
  4. DivineEquinox

That might work, but I don't really see people complaining about not getting the bonuses after a continent gets locked. I do think the lack of players on other continents, which Hossin is of course the main victim of, needs to be fixed. I think a good way to get certain continents played on more is to change the limits at which the total number of locked continents begins. I'm not sure on the limits right now but they seem to open too many continents for how many players are online in a server.

EXAMPLE:
    During extremely low populations, perhaps 0-300 total players online, only ONE continent should be open at once.
    During moderate populations, around 301-700 total players, two will open.
    Anything above 700 and 3 continents will open.

Now that I have that laid down, next they should implement a continent rotation system. Maybe once a day or once a week, the continents available will change.

EXAMPLE:
    Sunday: Hossin, Amerish, and Esamir are the ONLY continents available, Indar will essentially be locked for 24 hours.
    Monday: Hossin, Amerish and Indar are the only continents available. So Esamir will be inaccessible for 24 hours.

I think this system will make fighting more diverse, as we all know that Indar is the main continent that people play, and I often times hear people say they want to play on Hossin but due to low populations, they don't bother. These changes will condense server populations together by closing more continents at once, while also forcing people to move to other continents that wouldn't normally get the attention they deserve.
  5. Villanuk

If people don't like those maps, why force them to play it, you will drive them out of the game or they log off? Surely you want the maps to be exciting to play to draw players to the game and keep them?
  6. LtBomber1

Can not see how this will help. If I go online, i do not even notice what bonus is active unless i spam and wonder why i can spam it for so long.
    In general a force-lock is questionable at best. A lot of players i run with log out if Indar and Esamir are capped. My suggestion would be open all and let the playerbase decide what to do, and yes, i am sure Indar and Esamir will be played.
  7. stalkish

Agreed
    Back in PS1 they tried to get the masses to fight on the new oshur battle islands. The general population preferred not to fight there so they gave it the (arguably) best benefit on the game, auto vehicle repairs. But still very few people wanted to fight there, some completely refused.
    I will concede this is a slightly different situation as fighting on Oshur battle islands in ps1 restricted the use of Heavy vehicle and weapons (no lib, no MBT, no MCG/Jackhammer/Lasher), but the point still stands.
  8. BITSHUP

Perhaps you ought to learn to navigate then. Not all maps are a flat surface as indar, esamir, and amerish.

Hossin use to be the map everyone played on due to the difficulty of the terrain and foliage, it was challenging and fun, the new generation of players all cry about Hossin because it isn't "easy" and simple.

As OP stated... rotating benefits and adding new or additional benefits globally may entice players to utilize maps less played on. (hint: adding sub-terrain bases or moon bases will not improve anything... learn from your mistake SOE.)

SOE/Daybreakgames ruined PS1 by implementing caverns and moon bases. It was actually an expansion, also the expansion was needed to obtain access to certain vehicles and BR level. Very little people fought in these places and once the developers changed the mechanics to entice players to move to the new locations... people left the game. At first it was quite fun, but eventually the devs broke the entire system and players demanded the old mechanics back. The devs killed it and did not listen to intelligent players.

Comparing the issues in PS1 to PS2 maps is a moot point and your "point still stands" does not stand ... it's pointless and irrelevant. PS2 does not have cavern or moon bases. Also with SOE/Daybrakgames adding these new territories caused more of a struggle to control the map, not only made the game mundane.

Oshur was one of the original continents in PS1 and I never heard of anyone not wanting to fight there, or the devs needing to entice players to move there. As stated previously, the game-breaking mechanics were caused by the expansion where players slowly lost interest due to annoying content.

The problem with PS2 is that there is no real content, the physics are horrible especially in land vehicles (traction is horrible, and needed an implant to improve traction is ridiculous), there are no major updates. PS1 really has PS2 beat by the amount of territories/continents WITHOUT the caverns and moon bases. Also being able to warp through a warpgate with your outfit, squad, platoon to a content was great.
  9. TheSunlikeOne

I don't. Not going to play there that much until:
    1) It's painfully dark
    2) It has glowing plants with cyan particles, that make you paranoid of VS presence.
    3) It has swamps - the perfect place to die from random mine
    4) it has the terrain that makes driving some vehicles difficult (poor bulky vannie)

Amerish has some problems too, mainly being the paradise for ESF AI farmers.
    • Up x 2
  10. zaspacer

Pretty much what TheSunlikeOne said. Most players at this point are just playing how they want to play: which Faction, which Continent, which Bases, which Unit, what Goals, etc. Lots of people who don't play on Hossin do so because they don't enjoy playing on Hossin.

If you just stack bonuses for Hossin or otherwise push players to play on Hossin, either:
    1) people still won't play there
    2) people will play there... but dislike the experience, meaning they are more likely to stop playing

You beast bet for Hossin is either:
    1) leave it how it is for those who like it how it is
    2) change Hossin to be more like what players like

Hossin was popular when it launched because it was new and different. Then people got experience playing on it and many figured out they did not enjoy playing on it.

Amerish at one point was avoided also. It was full of narrow paths for ground units bordered by impassable terrain. Then that changed and Amerish started getting used more.

Hossin has:
    1) too many ways for Air to break line-of-sight (which is bad for ground forces AND which actually is bad for all but higher skilled pilots: lower skill pilots can't use ally ground AA to defend vs. higher skilled pilots and Gank Squads)
    2) too many ways for ground to break line-of-sight. This is a huge edge for certain units.
    3) much of the elevation terrain is not playable for most ground units: some units can't climb it, other units either can't climb it or have very few access points to climb it and most of which are slow and tedious to navigate. This terrain also creates unfun bottlenecks.
    4) people hate the perma green fog
    5) people hate the small plant that obstructs vehicle movement
    • Up x 2
  11. BITSHUP

You are clearly that blind. Do you realize that MOST of the player base is now from Asia? Most of the old playerbase has left due to SOE/DBG poor decisions. Also, a lot of the younger generation expect things to be "easy" ... and for the record, Hossin was quite popular for several years. Stop spewing out your garbage.
  12. TrolKabu

Yeah, so many Asians in EU servers, where Hossin is also the least played map of all. Will go with TheSunlikeOne & zapacer points.
    Can't really talk about the "ease" of gaming challenge. But I'm pretty sure that "enjoyment" is more what 90% of people are looking for in a game. Else everyone would play tic-tac-toe, it's easy as hell. But it's even more boring.
    • Up x 1
  13. FateJH

Hossin has good mood and some interesting bases but it's marred by poor terrain decisions. The area around Acan is the worst and the land west of Mulac is not without reproach. Bitol and Gourney Dam are examples of good terrain squandered due to poor dynamics.