RIP Lynx: Your auraxiums will be missed

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Pie Chasm, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Pie Chasm

Yeah, clearly that's my "thesis".
  2. asdfPanda

How is the new Lynx better for purely CQC purposes? with the old Lynx if you miss, you aren't penalized as much as the new Lynx because it has more damage per magazine and deals more damage per shot. In fact, you would miss less in CQC with the new Lynx than the old Lynx because the new Lynx has worse hipfire than the old Lynx. Not only that, but you the player would be hit more because of the lack of 0.75x ads speed multiplier if adsing.

Yes, but you would get more rounds on target with the old Lynx than with the new Lynx because of the old Lynx's better hipfire. Therefore, you can be more accurate with hipfire with the old Lynx than the new Lynx. Also, the new Lynx will penalize you for missing because of it's faster rate of fire and less damage per magazine, requiring you to be more accurate to capitalize on it's rate of fire.

Both the new Lynx and the old Lynx offer advantages and have disadvantages. However, you can't choose between the old Lynx and the new Lynx. This is why we should have both.
  3. Paperlamp

The more I use the new Lynx the less I like it. At first I was like "alright, at least it has decent accuracy and TTK". Lower damage per mag is easily worth trading for that which is why so many of our guns suck in the first place.

So it seems like it may be reasonably effective, but after playing with it in PTS a fair amount so far it's just boring and spammy. The high RoF isn't paired with low enough horizontal recoil and bloom to really counter it, which means aiming center mass feels like the best option at most ranges. You also feel like you waste a lot of bullets, which isn't a good combo with the lower damage per mag.

Precision isn't meant to be its thing I suppose, but what really differentiates it from our other guns other than stat tweaks? It should feel unique, not just have different enough numbers in a few areas to appease the RoF demanders.

Relative to the Jaguar or TRAC-5, I'm not sure whether it'll be slightly better or slightly worse, but it still feels too similar in its role/effective range/TTK to the Jaguar just with high RoF and lower bullet damage tossed in for faction flavor. My problem being the flavor is bad.

Compared to the old Lynx it's losing damage per mag and has worse TTK, and I believe its hip-fire will be worse as well. It gains effective range perhaps, but...that's what the Jaguar and TRAC-5 were doing.

It also has an ugly model.
  4. Catch23

I can't get on test. reinstalling won't help.

I'm maining Jaguar/ Lynx. The only downside the the Lynx has right now is it's extreme recoil angle. From the footage I've seen so far, the new recoil angle is either small or non existant coupled with less overall recoil.

after the .75 move speed penalties last year, many have said they would rather go for better recoil at the expense of dropping .75.

with the recoil angle of the current Lynx, ADS strafing is tricky. you will most likely miss a few bullets more compared to the Jag. If you want to ADS strafe, non-biased horizontal recoil is much better. Orion, Jaguar are much better suited for this playstyle.

I'm looking forward to the new Lynx. It does have a DPM reduction but with much better reloads. 2.0 hip move cof is considerably worse than the 1.5 before, but since we basically get an Extended Mags Armistice (using this as well) with better damage fall off, better minimum damage and much better ADS accuracy, that can also equip an advanced laser, it should be lethal.
    Downside could be bloom though. 910 is a huge multiplier, you probably neen more trigger diszipline here

It's best suited for Light Assaults, the class that hasnt got any love since launch.

judging by numbers: either hip strafe or ADS to the head in bursts.
  5. Pie Chasm

You wish. Even so, the armistice was a straight downgrade from the Lynx.

This new weapon has no .75 ADS movement speed either... so if you thought that somehow the Lynx was bad, this weapon is strictly worse.

I didn't. I loved the Lynx, found the recoil trivial to master and ***** face with it. It was the go to weapon for many engineers, or even a great general purpose weapon for LA.

But hey.. SOE has to sell the new weapon, so that's that.
  6. Catch23

no, that not what I said and your whole post is inconsistant. Extended mags Armistice can't equip a laser, so it's short range very comparable despite better inate hipfire.
    The Armistice is good but only at close range. 0,75 move is pretty worthless on that gun, you want to avoid medium range much more than with a Cyclone.
    Hip move is 100% and thats where the strength of the Lynx has been. Basically an SMG on crack.

now you give up some of the SMG part (hip COF) and the 0,75 ADS move for better recoil. While it's recoil was absolutely managable it was never great. DPS + recoil are the most important values in the game. It's a different gun now. they could have kept both tho.
    If you want more DPM and 0.75 you have to go with Jag which is in line with the other 0,75 arms.
  7. asdfPanda

But some people don't want to ads. Some people liked the old Lynx, and the Jaguar will not do. The Jaguar fires slower and has worse hipfire accuracy than Lynx 1.0. I didn't have to use the Jaguar in close quarters because the Lynx was there.

The Lynx 2.0 loses out on SMG tier moving hipfire, 0.75x ads movespeed, 5720 damage per magazine, 10m of minimum damage range, 143 damage per bullet, and a shred of dps for higher rpm and arguably better ads capabilities. That's okay, but the old Lynx is still better in CQC. People should be able to choose between Lynx 2.0 and Lynx 1.0. Having both would be optimal.

Yet the previous iteration was much better at hip-strafing because of it's superior hipfire accuracy, could take out more enemies because of it's superior damage per magazine, and it was harder for enemies to hit you if you had to ads because of the 0.75x ads speed multiplier. Also, the old Lynx could reach out farther if you could control it's recoil, because of it's 60m minimum damage range.

The new Lynx may be slightly better at medium ranges, but the old Lynx was far superior in CQC. Having both would be the best decision.
  8. Catch23

I see your point. On the other hand I find it hard to defend the DPM trait since thats a clear advantage over NC and VS in this department (like Orion is simply better than MSW because of that 0.75 ADS move speed, which is more valuable than SPA and ALS with the Orions recoil pattern). In fact I hate the GD7 because it's simply lacking DPM.
    Yesterday I played all day and had like 450 kills/ 100 deaths. A mere two of those deaths were from GD7s and none was from a Serpent. Half of my kills were with the Lynx so I "met" quite a few LAs.
    When I judge weapons I always look at what kills me most and since I only play solo I find myself in 1 on 1s more often than squadplayers which might give you a better impression of what weapons are more devastating in direct comparison than others.

So I really like the old Lynx, but it does have it's weaknesses. ARs (especially the NC Gauss) will outgun you, shootouts are generally to be avoided and more than often the .75 ADS move speed won't let you effectivly strafe back into cover because of server lag. This has to be taken into consideration. ADS strafing at medium distance only works when servers are sharp for you. If they are not (about half the time for me), its actually better to shoot a high DPS and accurate weapon straight to the head.

I don't know if that's posssible with the new Lynx as I can' t get on Test anymore and I'm suspicious because of the unchanged bloom values (0.5/0.1) despite the higher ROF and if it isn't, I will go back to ADS strafing Jaguar and more HA shotty/ RA indoors but if it is, the new Lynx will be good but will afford a different playstyle at 20m+.

0.75 ADS got nerfed when they penalized the recoild values last year. you get the old values with a grip but lose your hip accuracy which is not a good Option since you give up your class advantage over HA.
    ALS reduces hip COF by 50% (I think), so 2.0 goes 1.0 while it has been 0.75 for the Lynx. nerfed but still very workable.

If the ADS acuracy is not significantly better than "before" it's a straight downgrade though
  9. Catch23

made up my mind. the new lynx is indeed worse than the old one because with average hit detection it's more unreliable. therefore increased accuracy doesn't help much for countering the downsides of the revamp.
    I went back to Jaguar
  10. DevDevBooday

New Lynx is my new fav gun. It REEKS of TR traits.

It kills quick, its recoil is easy to manage, it has a quick as hell reload (by TR standards) and goes DAKKADAKKADAKKA.
    • Up x 1
  11. Akashar

Saron=Lynx
    U mad, TR?
    Get used to it. The new one is different, it is not the one you wanted, but you will never get the one you loved back. As for the saron, I don't understand why, people could have baught both, but hey, I'm no dev.
  12. asdfPanda

I don't know where you're going with this. Can you elaborate?
  13. Akashar

Actually the first saron was a beast of AV sniping, it was a single shot laser with more punch than the cannon of the magrider. Great for ambushes, was hard to play well but very rewarding. Now the saron we have is (maybe, never got used to) cool for short range, but VS totally lost the weapon that was on every magrider. Every shout we made was welcomed by an echoing silence, and we never got our weapon back. The "reason" for this disappearance was that it was to much alike the halberd. Meh. How can you go from a single 1600 damages shot to this neverending nerfed 6 shots crap?
    Because right after they made it, as a lot of people had the saron, lots of them tried it, and had good results, so it was and still is nerfed with every patch. I never heard anybody saying that he prefered the new version to the old, but having it back never came close to the table. So, that's why I'm sadly telling you, get used to it, there's no coming back. You loved this weapon, so i'm sorry for your loss. Time helps. :(
  14. asdfPanda

Ohh, I see what you mean. My main is Vanu, and I still remember Saron gunning before it was changed. However, from what I remember, Saron was a little OP, but the concept was cool. Magrider was known as the sniper tank for that back then. I don't understand why SOE has to completely revamp weapons to flesh out the game. More weapons= more variety. Sure, some of them can be redundant, but certainly not in the case of the Saron and the Lynx.
  15. Akashar

I can't help but to think that it was a money grabbing technic from soe, as the halberd performed roughly the same, to make people buy it more. I hate this way to do the things, content should never be removed. Lynx and saron have been removed. Not revamped, removed. They took our good and loved weapons, and offered us a version that we would not have bought in the first place.
    And saron was not OP, as other factions had the halberd to cope with (with a better velocity after the first nerf of the saron). There was no real reason, so it has to be money. That's the only logic left.