Rifle Upgrade Improvement Thread

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Fanboy, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Fanboy

Hey folks,

Post your thoughts on upgrade improvements or changes you'd like to see here.

For example:

I'd like to the useless flashlight and forward grip removed for bolt-action rifles. Don't let people who don't know better buy something that's entirely useless and waste their cert points or money/station cash on this.

My wish list for bolt action rifle upgrades:

- Bipod upgrade (obviously would have to incorporate some kind of prone mode)

- Implement a "lightweight chassis" of some sort that reduces sway after holding still for some amount of time. You could balance this by making it sway badly for 5 seconds after a shot, unless you hit the hold breath key.

- More ammo types. We're in the future here... I'm sure there are more than standard issue rounds. How about higher velocity AP rounds for MAX and heavies, that do less damage to soft targets? How about low velocity, high-drop rounds that penetrate shields and damage armor as well as shields? Where are the hollowpoints? I have a .22 here in the stone ages with more ammo variety. Let's see some sci-fi ammo, dang it!
    • Up x 3
  2. SAS|Kain

A universal 10x scope would be nice, available once you've spent x number of certs in the INF (500?) for 200 certs. Mountable on all unlocked Sniper Rifles when purchased. Would give people more flexibility with some of the snipers which only have 4x or 6x as their maximum available magnification by normal means. (NC SAS sniper rifle, I'm looking at you!)
  3. PeterLawford

I'm using the default scope and (obviously) no attachments on my rifle. I kind of like it. It allows me to spend my cert points on other stuff.

I wouldn't say no to a rangefinder though.
  4. VKhaun

More melee.

Bayonets like borderlands that have you use the weapon rather than bust out a knfie if you hit the melee key, and do +X% melee damage. A rocket launcher slot weapon for heavies that is a melee-range anti-tank weapon. Like a big plasma cutter, chainsaw, or thermal lance.

I would go as far as putting in combat weapon + pistol combos for light assault, where hip fire swings the melee weapon and iron sights brings up the pistol for shooting because BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD AHAHAHAHA!!!!:mad:

Too much?
    • Up x 1
  5. Snarkyfoo

• Infared laser painter (Useless? so what? don't forget we have flashlights.)
    • underslung flare launcher (would blind enemies.)
    • IFF permanent marker. (large, adhesive shell that sticks to a target)
    • Infiltrator Anti-Material ammo.
    • [absurdity warning] Engi anchor. (weighs down enemy armor that is hit. deconstructs after a set time.
    • Up x 1
  6. VKhaun

That's actually pretty awesome. Some kind of underbarrel weapon for carbines that weighs down vehicles and reduces their max acceleration/speed. Add that to AA heavy assault missile launchers, too...
  7. Incarnadine

These types of things are needed
  8. Snarkyfoo

Maybe a magnet, fired from an underslung, that weighs down vehicles and MAX units crossing its path, 'till it [lore] runs out of power. It would be a godsend for stopping zergs on bridges, narrow paths, ect.
    Hell, give Infils a tripmine style variant, to give them an AV ability.
  9. Pashgan

Remove useless forward grip on bolt-action rifles. Or make it actually work during targeting for steadier aim.

p.s. I'm glad I've tried it in beta when it was cheap.
  10. SGTTEMPEST

The thing I would like to see most is a range finder.
  11. Fanboy

Range finder seems to be a common one, although I think a laser painter would give us a lot more utility in platoon activities. If you can paint a vehicle or location so that it'll show up for liberators and other armor, our role option as a recon would actually be quite effective. Good ideas!
    • Up x 1
  12. Zmerc

Yes a rangefinder would be awesome, defiantly make it easier to automatically zone in on targets.
  13. Raines

I would love a way to boost my rifle to get just that little more range or hitting power out of it. The number of assists I have that could be turned to kills if I could remove that last few percent of health...

I would love a range finder... Just so I know if I shoot some-one from where I hid, what the chance is I'll have to redo the shot due to the diminishing damage of the VS.

I'd also love a IR- 'laze-or' that I could spot targets that nearby Aircraft/Tanks or HA could launch guided ammo at for extra punch. It would allow Infiltrator to "attack" vehicles or "embedded" targets. (You try ping a deployed sundry and see how much damage you do.) The disadvantage - The Infiltrator isn't directly attacking the target, it would require co-ordination between multiple people, and several people would need to cert into the require ammo/guns. And the target would have to be somewhat still... or able to be painted for the time it takes for the 'laze-or' to lock on and the munitions to be fired and then arrive.

I would also really like it if we could swap the pistol for a scout rifle. If I'm close enough for my pistol, I'm using my knife.
  14. RobotNinja

15. Marinealver

Kind of like it. I would like to see something to seperate the behavior of vanu energy weapons a little bit more like instead of diffrent ammo types diffrent firing modes that can speed up or slow down the drain of the battery.

Still the pulsar feels more like a bullet weapon and I ignor all I need batteries replies.

P.S. Don't listen to the "How About No!" Troll.
  16. Izanagi

a few things i'd like to see:
    like op said, grip and flashlight are garbage, get rid of them

passive cert line to improve hold breath rank, i'm a highly trained soldier, not a redneck in his backyard, why is it i can only steady my shot for 3 seconds before i'm gasping like an asthmatic smoker?

variable magnification scopes, make them cost 100 certs and be say 6, 10, 12x zooms (cycled via the same key you'd switch fire modes), though unlike fire mode make the damn thing have a zoom memory, nothing more annoying than reloading my heavy's gun and going from burst back to auto EVERY SINGLE TIME

laser range finder scope, trade off the stealth aspect for a scope that puts out a red laser while "zoomed" but would automatically zero out for the range (ie compensates for bullet drop) out to a certain range.

long range thermal scope pls? if i can buy one here in 2012, why cant i buy one in an advanced civilization?

would also like to see the cloak perk line either increase the length of time it can be active (not just recharge rate) or make it improve the cloak itself per rank (max rank being a true invisible or damn close?)

more IFF darts, maybe 1 every 2 ranks? instead of taking what is it now 200+ certs before you get your first extra dart?

edit:
    and give inf the old cert from beta to boost melee damage... or like instant kill when hitting their head/neck? again i'm a trained soldier, not a fumbling **** with a butter knife...
  17. Fanboy

AR-15 Bushmaster .223 == $650
    Modern high power FLIR thermal scope == $14,000 USD
    Deer hunting with it while making predator noises == priceless

I'd like a better thermal in PS2..
  18. Captain Sandwich

I'd like to see some sort of ability to scan your immediate area an unlimited number of times. Maybe a cert that removes the ranged recon device so that you can pull up the tool and click to send out a radar pulse from your location.

Also, yes, more ammo types. We need some sort of heavy, anti-tank rounds. I think it'd be OK to give infiltrators the option to carry up to five of one type of specialty round. Of course you'd have anti-tank rounds, capable of piercing the armor of heavy artillery such as tanks and MAXes. Explosive rounds to take out groups of enemies would also be nice. I'd also like to see either incendiary rounds to do light area damage, or high velocity rounds capable of closing the gap between you and your target almost instantly so that you can take out moving, high value targets.