[Suggestion] Revive Grenades - They need a fix.

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Arbitrator, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Arbitrator

[IMG]

Revive Grenades. They should be a god send, right? Sadly, I've found them to be utterly infuriating to use. I noticed a thread on them already, but that seemed to be more on teamwork and not having squaddies die the moment they've been revived, so...

Bouncy, Bouncy...

I think most people who have used them can agree with this. Whether its that perfect moment you've got a group of ten or so dead team mates hitching for that perfect toss, or just a pair of team mates across the hall you can't reach without being gunned down, the bouncing motion will usually completely screw up your toss and make them an utter waste of resources.

Now, I'm sure that some smug people are going to jump in and cry "Well you should learn how to toss them!". When I'm tossing one a few meters away, the bloody thing should NOT immediately jump about a foot into the air, then roll down a slight incline only to detonate out of the range of those ten team mates. In a bit of knee-jerk rage, this has happened TWICE to me in five minutes. The fact they bounce so far and even roll on a solid surface really gets irksome. I accept they're grenades and not blocks, but still.

In my opinion? Make them detonate on impact. That right there would solve it. People still need to aim a bit more carefully, but a good toss isn't thwarted by Auraxis' weird laws of physics The one second delay on detonation is also something that really hinders the point of taking these grenades. In most cases, its simply better to dash over and spend one second reviving them yourself.

Another idea was making it a sort of "AoE Pack". Essentially, 'Revive C4' that the Medic can drop down on the ground and then detonate to cause the pulse effect you get when the grenade normally detonates how it does now. Personally, I perfect the instant detonation because its less of a major rework but there you go.

Resource Cost

100 Infantry is far too steep, at least how they currently work. Maybe if the detonation was fixed up I'd agree, but 100 Resources for something that is liable to just not work or not generate points maybe 80% (imaginary estimate) of the time is too much. Contrast that with a 45 Resource grenade that you can mass produce and toss randomly for a high chance of at least one kill and you begin to see the problem.

60-75 points at maximum. Perhaps if the way they work was improved 100 could stand, but add onto that the 500 Certifications just for buying the bloody things and... yeah, no.

These are just my opinions. Agree? Disagree? Go wild.
    • Up x 4
  2. TheAnnoyingGunner

"Revive C4"
    I love it.
  3. gagle

heal and revives grenades don't worth due to their cost and because gives to you very few xp... use regular grenades. Perfect combo:

-50% flak damage, 1 grenade, 2 C4.
  4. Fethrion

It should be made heavier and less bouncy. It should be less like a grenade and more like a tossable device (with a longer range than C4) that should just fall on the ground and consume its reviving powers. Same with Healing Grenades.
  5. Serafan

Please don't suggest nerfing them because you don't know how to place them. Learn how to throw them and you can place them practically anywhere. If they want to make something that stick or detonates on impact as a different item fine, but please don't nerf them because some people don't know how and are not interested in learning how to place them.
  6. Oathblivion

I'm miffed that they don't scale to the level of your applicator. I've maxed that, and it revives so quickly that there's not a single reason for me to pack revive grenades outside of incredibly rare scenarios. I'm looking at the healing nades, because they have a nice large AOE and (I think) stack with your ability, which would let my team soak just enough extra bullets to mow down the opposition.

Then I remember that I could just toss a 45 resource frag and do the same thing, albeit distinctively less awesome.
  7. Vreki

I had them certed in the Beta, but they were useful something like three times.
    A grenade that kills the enemy and lets you revive in peace will be useful ten times as often,
  8. Village

Yeah, revive grenades REALLY REALLY need to explode on impact, exactly like the concussion grenade does.
    • Up x 2
  9. Scythan

Voicing my support of this, the Revive Grenade is a specilized tool that can only be used in specific (read: crown battles) scenarios and thus needs to be able to be relied upon in the scenarios for which it can be used.

If it worked the first time, every time, I believe the INF cost IS justified, as this is a precision instrument not a heal-all-catch-all.
  10. Arbitrator

I knew there would be at least one of those. The problem isn't that they need to be aimed, the problem is clearly in the way the grenade works. When you toss a frag, it should NOT magically leap a foot into the air even after you've tossed it a fair distance. The physics on the things are awful. Its not a case of a nerf, so much as actually getting the grenades to work like... grenades. Grenades are heavier than they look, they're not tennis balls.

You could have an excellent initial throw that 'hits' where you want it, only for it to roll three meters or bounce in the air on a solid, flat, surface.
  11. Arcanotechnician

Grenades should get Select-Fire. Shift-B should toggle your grenades from timed to contact and back.
    • Up x 2
  12. TheOR4CLE

I'm on the fence for this one. On one hand you can get the grenades to go in crazy places due to their mechanics. On the other hand the physics of the grenade are so wonky that it's extremely difficult to do so. I did a short toss the other day by crouching and looking down at the ground so that it would bounce up and back down.

Could you imagine seeing that in real life? It's just silly and it feels silly. The only time I feel good about throwing a revive grenade is when I throw it in a doorway or a window and it bounces off of the wall and deeply into the room. Again this is a rare situation but when it pans out it feels so good. I think the bounce mechanics are wonky on all grenade types.
  13. Serafan

My point is that once you learn how the grenade physics work in this game you can use it to your advantage and place them easily and in places you could not with typical FPS grenade physics. I am aware that the physics in this game are weird but they are consistent. When you learn them you can benefit from them.
  14. Lyzakiel

I don't find it to be that big of a deal because of its massive range. The bouncy nature is annoying if your on an incline and there are 10 dead people around you. If you throw it straight down it will bounce off the hill and roll.

Your best bet is to just throw it up the hill a bit and wait for it to roll down. Or just throw it at a rock so that it gets stuck between the rock and ground and detonates there.

They should just alter throwing strength to vary based on motion. Just like in counter strike. If you're running forward and throw it, it will go further. Stationary throwing wont go as far. Run backwards and throw it and it will land a few feet in front of you.
  15. ArcMinuteLight

The OP seems to be missing a point that even he has been using to justify his point.
    It is a REVIVE grenade!
  16. Shiaari

I agree 110%. I think heal and revive grenades should go off on impact and not bounce at all.
  17. AsteriskCGY

Engi's sticky nades work now. These should be sticky.
  18. TheKhopesh

I agree, just make 'em sticky Rez grenades.
  19. Being@RT

Alternatively they shouldn't use up the grenade slot to begin with :p

Sounds like a good utility slot option if anything does, considering Medics have a choice between two medikits and C4 at the moment, the medikits not being nearly as useful given the class aoe heal ability.
  20. Oathblivion

[IMG]
    • Up x 1