Rethink Certs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BadassBen, Jul 18, 2013.

1. jeuvisage

You clearly dont play this game if you think spawn camping with a MAX or tank isnt a viable way to farm certs, improve your KDR or cap a base.

It is rather ironic you talk about this when you're kill board shows you're a terribad who dies all the time unless theyre in a MAX or a tank.
  2. smokemaker

As an attacker I am always reminding the defenders that :
    A good team player rushes out of the spawn to die... i mean help his faction. :)
    lol

But as a defender, i will gladly shoot thru shields at the stupid attackers all day long. :)
    • Up x 1
  3. ent|ty

Ok, as long as you have to sit on the cap to even score, and can't be near the spawn.

Secondly, for each bullet that hits the spawn-defined building, shield or housing, you lose XP.
  4. LT_Latency

NO, This would be a total failure.

They have tried this is other MMOs. It does not work. People avoid fighting all together

No one defends no one fights, you just looks for point to flip as fast as possible
  5. zukhov

I totally agree its frustrating to see people doing nothing when they could be playing for the objective. Best way is to form a squad and stick with like minded people and ignore the rest.

No XP or kills gained when shooting from inside a spawn room....... great idea. The blobs in the spawn room are the shame of Planetside 2.
  6. zukhov

This is a typical reason why SOE don't post much on the forums.
  7. Stride

There are problems with your suggestion. If two factions are fighting for territory what incentive do they have to fight if it is taking a long time to push forward? It would be much more desirable to go for easy captures instead of actually fighting for anything.

Some players wouldn't have to actually fight or participate rather just spawn at objectives and territory about to cap.

Having kills directly tie into xp and cert gain is keeps people motivated even if players are not winning a battle.
  8. zukhov

The best idea is getting ignored....

No xp or kill when shooting from behind the spawn room shields.
  9. Degenatron

I think you misunderstood what he was talking about. He's talking about the base owners staying inside of the spawn room and not trying to fight their way out. We call 'em "spawn-shield heroes". They apparently have no incentive to leave the spawn room. These people always aggravate me when I'm one of the defenders and they aren't helping.

I suggest that every base either get an SCU that disables the spawn shields or the spawn shields get disabled at the 1/2 mark when the timer is counting down. Also, if it's possible, there should be no XP or kill count for shots fired from within the spawn room.

Right now, there is no real way around "spawn-locking" (the process of surrounding the spawn room and holding defenders in) because what's the alternative> You have to defend the capture and letting the defenders run around is bad business.
  10. Gustavo M

Then you should play another game that is easy and smooth as butter so you can "win" more often. This is a game to be played as a team and cooperating like such. "Winning" is just a consequence.
  11. GhostAvatar

Neither of which are incentive enough to get the spawn room warriors to leave the safety of the shields and risk there KDR. Many a time I have tried defending a base with fellow player that was on a knife edge, only to lose it after a back and forth engagement. While all during these battles, having more than enough fellow players to win the battle in good order just sitting in the spawn room, trying to farm kills that pass by the spawn room shields line of fire. All because they don't want to risk getting killed and lowering their KDR. Why? because territory has so little meaning when it flips back and forth so regularly.

The ability to shoot out of the spawn rooms should be there to help the encamped break the spawn room camping and have some breathing room outside there spawn to be able to push forward to the objective. Not as a mechanic to farm kills and pad stats. As such, kills made while in the spawn room should not be put towards the killers KDR, which only incentivises spawn room warrior behaviors of zero risk for reward. Simply having the ability to kill and make way to push forward into the real battle should be enough incentive.
  12. Acuta

I take it you have an SPM well under 200, no?

It's called playing Engie about 100% of the time in Outfit ops (not hard to tell if you are even remotely smart enough to look past KDR), you should join one and stop camping spawns like the terribad zergling you know you are.
  13. MarkAntony

So your outfits strategy is to not camp spawn rooms and instead let the defenders run around uncontested? Smart...
  14. Bilc0

Repairing stuff is boring, tedious, time consuming and doesn't reward much xp at all. Also defending vs a zerg for a paltry, what, 15%? Whoop de do 15 xp per kill if you have no sub or implant. That's 6% of a cert per kill, look out!

Also the lowered "just spawned" player exp only lasts for a few seconds and doesn't deter camping in the least. Make the fresh spawns not count towards kdr and it might deter more of the zerglings, but I wouldn't count on it.

Defence bonus needs to be upped way more and the same needs to go for repairing a freshly taken base.
  15. Patrician

Them nobody would stay to defend a facility; as soon as the spawn room was camped they'd redeploy. This would not encourage anybody to rush out of the spawn room to attempt to retake a cap point,

If there were no idiots within the campers, getting into the line of fire from the spawn room, there would be no kills for the ones in the spawn room.

This is an issue caused by the campers being fools; while there are fools, I'll stay in the spawn room and let them help me build my cert collection. :)
  16. Patrician

It is quite possible to "guard" a spawn room without letting yourself get into the line of fire from said spawn room you know? Do this and the whole issue of "spawn room heroes" melts away.
  17. zukhov

People shooting from the spawn room are not defending the base. Once a large blob of enemy is in the spawn room and won't come out you have won. People stay in the spawn room and shoot out because they get the occasional no risk easy kill. They usually have no intention to defend. When the spawn room is camped they should redeploy because they have no hope of getting out. They do not redeploy because of afore mentioned chance of a no risk easy kill.

People camp the spawn room because there is a large blob of enemy infantry in it. If they didn't the enemy would simply walk out and flip the CP. There is also the chance that a group of people who know what to do will spawn in and try a proper break out.

The majority of people who hang around inside camped spawn room either know no better (newbies) or are zerglings. If they did not get xp while in the spawn room the newbies would learn to play faster and the zerglings might possibly find something more useful to do.

Personally I don't see how its possible to get much xp sharing a spawn room door with 3 other people and plinking away. I can think of much better ways of playing for xp.
  18. Acuta

While you try and make a wry point, you fall a bit short.

Usually we Gal drop in or get someone in with a beacon, then we have a nice fight wherein hopefully we take the base, sometimes not, but that's the game. By the time we secure a base and it's time to camp a spawn to wait for the horrid "Insert thumb up fourth point of contact and relax a while" timer to expire, enough terribad zerglings/perfectly acceptable randoms will have arrived to camp the spawn and we can find a new target (almost always in Lettuce, hit and miss in Hex). In the case of a large base, we will often secure the satellites before moving on. Occasionally we'll hang around and do our AFK's during the wait time and get the cap points for our work.

On occasion we are forced to camp a spawn a while. Usually only in small bases with short timers, thankfully. Again, that's the game, like it or not.

My point is simple: A disturbingly large number of people think spawn camping is viable gameplay rather than something forced on us due to poor mechanics. Even worse, people will rack up a huge KD on the fools that run blindly into the fire and try and stroke it on the forums as if it were some huge and awesome accomplishment and obviously shows some level of superiority.

+1 for trying, though?