Replace CPU or GPU first?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Okjoek, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Danath

2. Savadrin

AMD is still working on their new architecture, which will presumably go with the switch to DDR4, from what I understand.

I would agree that intel probably is better (and always has been) as far as top end performance right now, but at $99 for the six cores that can be easily overclocked to +4.1 ghz with stock equipment, to me it's a throwaway. Since I have the same proc on two setups, I can speak at least to that being reliable with both single and multi-gpu, varying levels of ram. Both machines run smoothly on 1080p or 19x12 in one instance.

You can take the splurge/future proof argument either way.

I could build two $8-900 machines over the span of four years and probably outlast the $15-1800 machine while spending the same or less, but it's really a matter of preference.

I will tend to build in smaller chunks based on when the new gen gives a marked improvement over the last. For instance, PCIe 3.0 seems to be worthless, but I wouldn't go so far to say I'm an expert in working video performance. I have the 3.0 cards, but I didn't see any gain worth giving a **** about.

Also - AMD is going hard for the switch to display port over HDMI. The big issue is that there are only a handful of freesync monitors right now and they're not the cheapies. Gsync looks to be competing but I think they're both too early to be mainstream.
  3. Gundem

Yea, I have the i5-4670K OC'd to 4.0GH'z while playing games. Makes a huge difference.