Repairing and hacking not granting experience past a certain threshold, hurts dedicated players?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Village, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Village

While i understand the issue that botters can abuse the experience granted, this in my opinion is not a major issue since it is a bannable offence anyway and any player can easily report it. What this certainly does do though is hurt dedicated engineers such as myself, who would be more than happy to fully repair every turret and generator in an AMP station after a successful attack or defence.

The problem with this is that after a very short time i am no longer granted any experience, and so have no incentive to continue putting the effort in to get defences fully functional for the team. I think that punishing every single player because a couple might abuse it the wrong way to go about it, and instead just have a system that will identify botters easily, such as those who do not move for 30 minutes + yet have constant repair experience granted. Obviously this would not be an instant ban until they have proven themselves to be botters and would have their experience wiped or simply banned.

This is especially annoying because i have a fully certed nanite proximity repair Sunderer, assisting me in turret repairs around AMP stations but i am not rewarded for doing this because it also counts towards the maximum repair experience threshold.

[IMG]
    • Up x 4
  2. DeadLamb

What is considered a "very short time" being I've drove to a random tech center and spend 25-20min repairing every single turret in the place, alone.. knocking back all my bonus ribbons from the night at the same time. It's sort of cheesy but then it's not like I'm stat padded or anything, just fixing junk others did not bother too.. This is with a maxed out repair tool also..
    I've never hit the -no more repair points- threshold....

I can understand wanting more XP but I think the idea is to reward moving around vs sitting in one area repairing.. but just how much are you fixing to even hit the level? Being as I said, I've repaired every turret at Paris tech (think it's called) and not hit the limit as far as XP points.
  3. ent|ty

Yep. back in the day when noone repaired stuff at bases because they weren't rewarded for it, there I'd be, diligently repairing everyting and defending it against the 1-3 enemies who would try to back cap it. i'd spend some time in game doing maintenance and keeping all the back bases repaired so at least there was SOME defense if needed.

Now limiting me just because I'm diligent, is just stupid and ********, and just another reason to hate the game.
    • Up x 3
  4. zukhov

Play for the team and not xp, 'problem' solved.
  5. Village

I'd rather play for both. Wouldn't you?

When you use the repair sunderer is turns out to be a few minutes.
  6. Phrygen

there is so little incentive to play as an engi when not operating vehicle... i spend at least half my time in a max spamming "v-3" over and over
  7. phreec

If someone does indeed play for the team like he's doing he should get rewarded for it don't you think? Caps like these just encourage people to go killfarm instead.
    • Up x 1
  8. ent|ty

I literally /yell "V-3, V-3!, V-3!!! V-3!!!!!!".. its just lost on these guys.. Thats why I run around in Nanite Repair now, and not Flak or Small Arms.
  9. Tommyp2006

I'm almost one hundred percent positive that repairing doesn't have an EXP cap, you just don't get points for repairing anything damaged by friendlies, though I know the hacking cap is low, I think it's about 5 turrets.

I've repaired an entire amp station's set of turrets by myself, and have gotten over a hundred certs in a row just repairing maxes, so I don't think repair is capped in any way.
  10. Village

It does have a cap and i urge you to go out and test it. You will not be rewarded for helping your team past a certain point. You might not hit it as quickly with the repair tool alone.
  11. Tommyp2006

Feel free to check my stats page to see how many hours I've got playing engineer. I've never hit the cap. If there is one, it's by far the highest exp cap in the game, by 20 or 30 times.

Edit: wait, what do you mean "by the repair tool alone" how else do you hit the repair exp cap? If it's by a sundy, that's probably a different repair exp count.
  12. Village

Maybe you get capped when you repair along with a Proximity Repair sundy but you'll hit it quickly when you do. It might be a threshold within a certain period of time but i was getting nothing from both proximity repair and repair tool.
  13. Snarfy

Unfortunately you have to suffer for other peoples farming and exploiting.
  14. Udnknome

Not sure if it's just the exploiting. I was top of the score charts in some epic biolab fights by just re-arming and repairing 2 Maxes that were farming kills out a teleporter (and scoring kills as well) prior to this implementation. This kinda thing typically gets people who score kills alone kinda mad.

I'm gonna guess that support score should never be larger than kill score. Not sure if this is really a thing, but I think it contributes. The discussion becomes further complicated when you start to consider PS2's MLG ambitions.

Maybe if they just separate support score from attack score on the scoreboard then this would become less of a conversation. However, this would require additional tech to implement, so don't count on it coming soon. It's easier to just cap support exp.
  15. Luighseach

This is usually only an issue for me when I repair or give ammo to the same person over and over. However when it comes to repairing I honestly have never had this to be a problem. Also just to note. If you repair damage done by your allies it will net you 0 xp same as rezing someone who was Team killed.
  16. DeadLamb

I really don't think you can hit one with just the repair tool. I think what is happening is your repair sundy is clicking along and that DOES have a hard XP cap and when you hit it the games locks out all repair XP gain... The repair tool no longer earning is just a side effect..

sort of like a fat kid not being able to have any more pie by locking the entire fridge, game doesn't care you want an apple out of there. Unless you have some huge boost going too and that game counts total points gained vs "amount of damage" repaired. That would also explain how you could be fixing the same group of turrets as the rest of us who are never getting locked out.

Try repairing with out the sundy.. and I can understand why they lock out the XP from the repair sundy, it's just so passive and ripe for abuse..
  17. LibertyRevolution

Repair sunderers have a cap, repair gun does not.
    Don't run a repair sunderer, your just hurting yourself.

People used to exploit repair and ammo sunderers to boost.. so they fixed that.
  18. Village

How is assisting teammates through repairs and providing ammo an exploit? For players who are not in the mood for combat and would rather relax and be purely logistical support it is terribly unrewarding when you gain nothing after doing it for a few minutes.
  19. DFDelta

Add in a cap-reset if you have been in a combat zone (the ones that also apply for instant action drops) for a certain time.
    Prevented stat padding and people running a repair bus to help their squad/platoon aren't penalized for some douches behavior.
  20. LibertyRevolution

You are misunderstanding me...
    People use to as in pull a repair sunderer then have another account bot damage another vehicle they had parked next to it while they were at work all day..
    Same goes with ammo sunderers... they would pull an ammo sunderer then have another account just shoot and reload next to it..