[Suggestion] Render HUD off changes to make it playable for infantry AND vehicles

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SW0V, Sep 3, 2015.

1. SW0V

So, as a veteran player I realised that I wasn't having fun playing the game any more. I realised that a large part of the problem was over saturation of information which makes the game play more like a spreadsheet simulator than anything else. Find biggest fight > farm until your eyes hurt > go to bed.

So, I wanted to get back to the core of the game so I decided to make a new character and play with the HUD render turned off so that I'm not staring at the minimap and trying to maximise KDR, KPM, etc. But there's one huge problem. Currently, vehicle reticles don't render with HUD off... what the hell? I mean, that's comparable to the reticle of your scope not rendering when you ADS with HUD render off!

For the love of god.... if you want to turn off vehicle reticles you can already do that with toggle UI. So, please make render HUD off still draw vehicle reticles!
  2. Obscura

You'd love doing this then :D
  3. SW0V

Mm, I originally wanted to play with the UI toggled off like these guys. But you can see in the video why I decided to go HUD render off instead. UI toggled off removes way too many basic features of the game. Can't select a spawn location after being killed, can't quick spawn either, can't accept revives, can't access infantry/vehicle terminals.... you pretty much can't do anything but point and shoot.

I would prefer to play with UI toggled off, because HUD render off still shows doritos which is one of the major things I don't want to see... but I understand that UI toggle is meant more for cinematic stuff and not gameplay. I would love it if all of the HUD elements were individually toggle-able. But I understand that would be a lot of work.
  4. SW0V

Actually, nevermind. I just went through some of the interfact options and found a toggle indicators option which turns doritos off.

Still would like to know where my vehicle weapon is aiming though... if nothing else, then at least when I use an optic!
  5. CorporationUSA

So you want to use your vehicle without your minimap and vehicle health indicator? Why would you want to play at a huge disadvantage?
    The hud looks fine to me. You have all of your important info, and that's about it. The exception would be chat, but that fades out when no one is talking. And there might even be a way to hide it permanently, I haven't checked.

But I suppose if you want to hide everything but reticules, you could find some other way to do that now.
  6. SW0V

To answer the above, you just needed to read my OP.

Unfortunately, no. You cannot hide everything but vehicle reticles without altering game files which would get me banned for hacking.
  7. CorporationUSA

I did read it, but I don't really believe it's the hud that is straining your eyes. Does this happen with any other games? The hud isn't really more intrusive than huds is most shooters. If huds are actually a problem for you(as opposed to the problem being your monitor settings, your proximity to it, or some health issue), you might need to find a game that doesn't use much for a hud in order to not be a disadvantage.

That is patently false, but I'm certainly not going to urge you to look further into it.
  8. SW0V

What the actual hell are you talking about? You COMPLETELY missed the fundamental point of my post.

Er, no it's not. You're probably referring to crosshair overlays which is again, not at all what I'm talking about.
  9. CorporationUSA

Ok, I thought you meant your eyes would hurt because of the hud. Sorry.

That sounds like what you're talking about. Turn the hud off, add an overlay, you have the hud off with a reticle for use in vehicles. I understand that isn't what you are actually asking for, but I honestly don't think they are ever going to add what you ask, so I figured I'd suggest an alternative. I hope they prove me wrong, and even go one step further and implement the hud into the cockpit. That would be amazing.