[Suggestion] remove hover ability from ESFs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VonStalin, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Pokushocus

This is actually a really good idea and I for one would like to see it tested....
  2. Cest7

3. LegioX

There is no air game in PS2. All ESF's do is sh*t on the ground game. Very rarely do I actually see 2 ESF's fighting each other over an battle. Most of the time its a rush to who can farm the most inf.

1. There is no ceiling for air.
    2. There is no dedicated air vehicle that can kill A2G ESF's with ease.
    3. No incentive for air to kill other air (why waste time with them, when they can just farm inf).
    4. ACM's in this game is pathetic. You can do ungodly amount of maneuvers and never fall out of the sky due to stalling or blacking out.

What would happen if ESF's players didn't get any XP when they killed inf. You think they would still farm them?
  4. Frostiken

You're being melodramatic but you aren't too far off the mark. And aerial 'dogfighting' is a joke. I thought it was bad in Battlefield 3, but this is just a new level of ridiculous asinine crap.
  5. SNAFUS

You clearly have no idea on what you are talking about.
    • Up x 1
  6. LegioX

I know exactly what I'm talking.
  7. Ogre

Despite my avatar, I mostly fly now. Can a player get good at this air combat. Yes, yes they can. I can use Matti as an example. Good at flying. Good at this format. Does that make it optimal, or more importantly, fun? For me, no. I am invested in planetside2 as I'm an old planetside 1 player, and want to see this game do good.

A lot of the dreams I had for this game have not happened, I understand everyone has dreams but it all takes time, so I am waiting. I also know the game has been restructured several times. However with all that said, the air game feels very lacking for me. The engagement radar should have been a standard feature, hell, most items on all vehicles should be standard features then the upgrade points you have are limited. But that's my opinion.

tl/dr: Air game is not bad, but I do find it bland, and I suspect there are a lot of people who can agree with me on that.
  8. LegioX

I have read where some people want a dedicated A2A platform that doesn't have hover, but instead relies on straffing and speed attacks. However, I just don't see how this can work. There is no damage model in this game. It's all about hitting target X amount of times until its dead. Slashing attacks or ones people are thinking about would next to impossible with the damage model here and that auto repair. There would need to be some critical damage taken on a pass with good direct hits.
  9. Jachim

Being able to hover directly over a tank and solo kill it with your main gun from full to empty while the tank can only sit and either repair through it hoping allies help them, or bail and try to find cover is one of the major reasons I don't play this game more than I do
  10. SNAFUS

If you are isolated and alone as a tank what do you expect to happen?
    • Up x 1
  11. Goretzu

You can't have everything though.

No one is immune from latency.

Under normal latency conditions doing what I said will get any pilot rarely hit by lock-ons (with flares, pretty much never).

The only place this doesn't work is when the G2A missle is being launched from higher than the ESF (or very, very clear of the ground), but agian you can't have everything, and those places in PS2 are not remotely the majority (even the 3rd flow of a double storey spawn isn't usually high enough - the 4th floor/roof is usually better, but then anyone is totally exposed there).
  12. Hermit92

I wouldn't mind some tweaks to flying but hover mode needs to stay, as Alan metioned you won't be able to land for resupply on the pads. I like gravity playing more of a role on the fighter. Going slower than 100km/h and you start descending sounds neat.

Just some ideas I got from reading the thread, so how about this:

- general increase in speed of the fighters (to act more like a jet)
    - a button to toggle between v-tol/hover mode instead of an automatic transition depending on the fighters nose-direction and speed. The button can replace the analog throttle button, since it should function similarly.
    - hover mode would still work like it is now in the current state of the game. Reverse maneuver would still be available, buy downward momentum due to more realistic physics can be implemented.
    -Gravity adding downward momentum on aircraft. Not really pulling the plane down, but slows a plane that is ascending, and accelerates a plane on the dive. So pretty much energy for real life pilots (I am not one). Plane starts to plummet at minimum speed while not in hover mode.

It would be cool to see it in game, but it might be too complicated to implement. Eh a man can dream

PS: I really need to stop reading the forums before I go to sleep. Always gets me excited with these cool ideas.
  13. SNAFUS

Not asking for everything, I am ok with getting hit by the occasional G2A lock, simply occupational hazard. But when you said you don't understand how any A2G ESF gets hit by them I explained to you why it can happen very easily and how avoiding them is not always so trivial. You say its so easy to avoid and I can tell you from a large amount of experience even the best pilots get tagged by them regularly. But I like where G2A missiles are atm, as they are actually avoidable if the circumstances are right when you are engaged by them.
  14. OldCuban

Disagree!

Because......

[IMG]
  15. GaBeRock

You can already do that with hornets against tanks. Try it, it's fun.
    • Up x 1
  16. Goretzu

Yeah I understand, but what I am saying is if you're in bad latency, it doesn't matter if you're LA, MAX, Lighting, MBT, ESF or Gal you're in trouble.

Infantry and tanks get "one shot" a lot in bad latency, but those classes and vehicles and the game cannot be balanced around that.

Even in good latency no one will avoid all of them (but playing careful the vast majority), but again that cannot be expected. Everyone will get hit occasionally and will die occasionally due to pure bad luck.

Air should not be exempt from this anymore than MBTs (or anything else) should.
  17. stalkish

Not sure if anyones mentioned this but:
    Swiping knife after each reload guaratees phoenix enters camera mode apparently.
    And it did work when i tried it the other night, so it seems to be a work around at least.
    Unfortunately this further reduces the DPS of the phoenix tho.