Removal of Non Spawn Room Equipment Terminals

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Ibuprofen, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Inf1nite

Have you ever played infiltrator besides sniping? You need extra terminals to survive. An AMS sunderer will bring a lot of attention to the fact that there are enemies in the area and that's exactly what the infiltrator class doesn't want to do. They have a cloak for a reason and I believe you can figure that out. The only other way for us to get ammo is from friendly spawn terminals or ally/enemy engineer ammo packs but that still doesn't allow you to resupply other valuable items like EMP's, frags, med packs, or restoration packs. Terminals can also be used strategically so, as Mustarde said earlier, you could get a group of people together and MAX crash some place. They're not just a random thing on the map that causes lag, it's a neccesity for us to stay alive. With having no terminals to hack there's no point in hacking except for vehicle terminals (useless for resupplying) or turrets (also useless for resupplying). I hope you understand my point and find sense in why we need our valuable terminals back in the game.
    • Up x 1
  2. NovaAustralis

I've played plenty as Infiltrator and not just as a sniper.
    (Base infiltration and creating havoc deep behind enemy lines was a favourite past-time... :)
    I'm sure some pilots on Briggs are still cautious when they land at J908 Impact Site ;) )

I strongly suspect the players complaining about this change are a 'lone-wolf' type of player.
    As this change only badly affects 'lone-wolf' players.

If you as an Infiltrator are working as part of a team, then you would hack a vehicle terminal and spawn an AMS Sundy or allow a team mate to spawn the AMS Sundy, because it's required to put pressure on the capture of a base and stops the defenders from using the terminal.

*BTW there are vehicle terminals in shacks outside the shields in Tech Plants and you can also go through the un-shielded back doors to get to the vehicle terminals inside. :rolleyes:
    (Amp Stations, yeah you have no options for terminal hacking...
    but for Bio Labs and Amp Stations with shields still up, you just go to the satellite bases)

Stop playing 'rambo' 'lone wolf' and start playing as a team, then you won't notice this change as much.
    OR
    Hack a vehicle terminal and spawn an AMS Sunderer (yes it will cost you Vehicle Resources boo hoo) and change your load-out that way.
    OR
    think ahead and take a load out that you will need before you get to where you are going, then you don't even need an Infantry terminal.

As an aside, this change is kinda like the re-vamped tower base garage design...
    Ahh, many happy hours sitting in the shrubbery sniping noobs spawning their vehicles from that ground floor vehicle terminal at the Crown... :)
    Why did they change it?
    Because too many noobs cried about getting sniped while spawning stuff... boo hoo

Infiltrators have weathered a lot. I'm sure we can weather this too.
    Check this thread from my signature:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...or-is-nearly-a-broken-class-heres-why.151595/
    Feel free to add this complaint (about there being less Infantry terminals to hack) to my thread if you like.
  3. m44v

Is true that terminal hacking is useful for lone infiltrators, but is also true that is much more convenient for your squad to have a terminal nearby for resupply than having to walk all the way back to your sundy out of the no-deploy zone.

Arguing this is moot though, the reason they removed them was for performance, making bases more defensible sounds like an extra excuse for justify it, you don't need hacking for max crash a base, and can be countered by counter-hacking or just destroying the terminals. Is a convenient thing to have for attackers and hardly something that defenders can't deal with.

The issue I have with this is that hacking is already a weak ability, very situational and easily countered, SOE should make it more relevant, not the other way around. This change, as meaningless as you want to make it out to be, is a step in the direction we don't want it to go.
    • Up x 1
  4. nubery

This was a dumb change. Bases need MORE terminals.
    • Up x 1
  5. DeathSparx

I find this change rather upsetting myself. Removing the terminals on indar was a bad change. Sure, lonewolfs benefit a lot from hacking terminals but squads probably gain more for it. I don't play on Indar very much anymore but I know whenever my squad is heading out to take a big base, they rely on me to hack the terminals available to us because the funny thing is: my squad uses those terminals more than I do and they don't play infiltrator!!! That's why we stick to Amerish.
    • Up x 1
  6. Mustarde

I appreciate the point that you were trying to convey with your post, but I would disagree that this hurts lone wolves alone. In fact, for me it is more damaging on the organizational level since I can't bring my squad over to a terminal and do things like pull maxes from within a base, or swap classes so I can lay mines and then back to infil. There were all sorts of fun little tricks you could pull from those hacked terminals, and many were not exclusive to a solo player.
    • Up x 4
  7. CuteBeaver

Has anyone ever noticed their generator was down, ran to a terminal and switched to engineer to repair it?

Has no one else laced proxy after proxy on the elevator pad of a tech plant... completely destroying an entire squad coming down? That is a pretty good tactic for defense and squad play.

Or what about all those times your medic goes down, and you slink off downstairs midst the fray and switch out to medic and get him up. Lone wolf versus squad play is a terrible argument. Removing terminals was a negative change and makes the game more boring and predictable. That tech plant terminal was pure gold for both defenders and attackers. Now its gone, leaving an empty room in my heart and on the first floor.

Who knows maybe once the other performance patches go through Sony will have enough wiggle room to add more terminals back into bases possibly in locations which would make life more dynamic and interesting for everyone. Somehow the cheerful optimistic side of me, can't override the more likely outcome. Those terminals are gone for good.

Edit:

There is also something I have been wondering... with regards to the resource revamp. How would that even work regarding hacked terminals? I *think* the bases energy levels were "planned" to drain slowly over time, regardless of what players were pulling in their loadouts or vehicle wise. In addition I think they mentioned if a larger number of defenders were in the location then the base would drain much faster to compensate.

[IMG]

Anyway getting to my point.

Is this why they are removing like nearly all hackable terminals? Essentially to limit the possibility of drainage on the base by enemies or, at the very least enemies getting free goodies from hacked terminals?I wonder how that is going to work. It also begs the question would hacking even be of value in a base where there is no energy? I sincerely hope the terminals were removed based solely for performance reasons, and not as an overreaction to future resource mechanics.
    • Up x 2
  8. Darkelfdruid_LOL

I like turtles.
    • Up x 1
  9. SnipersUnion

I have to say that yet again out of all the things that need to be done in this game, removing more infantry terminals certainly wasn't one of the more pressing ones... o_O

I don't really understand the logic here. As far as I can tell they removed them to stop max crashes happening the way Mustarde describes... However during a heavy base fight in a tech plant it's highly unlikely the attacker would pull all of their MAXs INSIDE the tech plant itself where the battle is raging. There is also the bug/exploit/feature (not really sure which) That using a term will instantly fully restore your shield - something the higher tier players can use to their advantage very nicely. They could have just removed that instead of the term itself though... It would be nice to get some info on the thought process behind this.

I would have said if anything remove the Vehicle term close to the spawn at tech plants.

It has to be noted though that after months of threads about us not having enough things to hack SOE goes and removes some of them!

We may have to hack some SOE computers to put them back in soon! :p
    • Up x 2
  10. Inf1nite

From what I know of it's not a bug and not an exploit. It's just a smart way of playing that some players do not know about. That's how I see it :p
    • Up x 1
  11. MrK

Is there a reddit thread about it? More chances to get it upvoted and devs actually looking at it. They don't use this forum anyway
    • Up x 1
  12. Stinneyt

I got this far.
    What difference does it make to you that I play 'lone wolf'?
    Having extra terminals makes no difference to your play style but it has a huge impact on mine.
    Lone wolfing is hard enough as it is.

Why do you want to force me to play in a style thats more agreeable to you?
  13. m44v

I highly doubt pros would use a terminal for recharge shields as terminals are sluggish as hell.
    they removed them because they caused performance issues, there's a twitter post of a dev saying so.

IMO they should try to look a bit if the issue can be resolved without removing them.
  14. SnipersUnion

May be sluggish, but can still be quicker than waiting for the recharge ;)

So it was performance issues? I think someone already said why not remove some of the terminals in the larger bases spawn rooms then... Weird!
  15. Rohxer

I've complained about this before, and fully support any attempt to get them back in.

Removing them removes countless tactics that only made the game more interesting. For BOTH lone-wolves and team play. They have severely ******** (attn SOE - re-tarded definition: "to hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment") my options on Indar, as so many infiltrator schemes relied on available terminals. In AMP stations and Tech plants alone they are utterly invaluable, as those who use them for so many reasons know.

In smaller bases they make the fighting much more dynamic and unpredictable. Especially in small-sided engagements.

Vaemar Logging Company in Amerish - get out of a heavily-camped spawn room (requires infiltrator) just before the base flips, get to the outbuilding terminals, hack, swap to heavy/LA/whatever-that's-not-an-infiltrator, and destroy their newly spawned vehicles as they head to the Amp station. Same thing at Auraxicom Substation. Small things that require planning and forethought and a TERMINAL, that affect the course of a battle in an otherwise brainless spawn-campfest.

Get caught away from the spawn room while defending and you're suddenly camped by an ESF or Lib? No problem, there's a terminal inside that outbuilding there. Swap to your G2A missile, or your AA Max. Nope! No terminal anymore! Just fall down and die or redeploy back to the spawn room. Dumb. dumb. dumb.

Squad medic is dead? No problem, hack that terminal and get him back up. Whoops! No terminal!

Without these terminals the game is "stupider", limiting options and choices, which lead to stale combat for all, not just infiltrators. Just a plain bad decision to remove them.
  16. K2k4

I think the change was intended to reduce the number of objects that your computer has to track the location and display to increase performance. The problem is this doesn't take into account how this affects gameplay. Ideally the equipment terminals shouldn't even have a tracker on them unless they have been q spotted. As of right now if you do find one as an infiltrator you merely alert any enemies nearby of your presence so they come and nuke it and them look for you.
  17. z1967

Somehow, I actually feel that the deeper meaning to this involves "turtling" a base where you allow them to capture other posts unhindered and then they get crushed by a superior defense. And Infiltrators can break a turtle defense strategy by sneaking in and basically getting an entire platoon in through spawn beacons or infiltrating. Good post.
    • Up x 1