Reload time, I don't understand this

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Akeita, May 6, 2014.

1. Akeita

Why would SOE give long range weapon such as Razor one of the fastest reload time while it have a low RoF and high damage per bullets ?

Why would SOE give close/medium range weapon such as Razor, Lynx and Serpent a flobing long reload time ( Lynx just got improvement on this ) while they obtain the fastest RoF ?

Just
    Doesn't
    Make
    Sense :|
  2. Hatesphere

why do all the VS weapons take different amounts of time to reload the same basic battery? you cant explain that.
    • Up x 8
  3. Trudriban

My understanding on it...

Long range: Your bullets do less damage, hit less often, and you don't have too many. Quick reload lets you get a healthy stream of bullets to pin them down at the least.

Close range: These guns will melt you into a grave faster than you can log into the forums and demand nerfs. If they reloaded faster than switching to your pistol, you would be literally unstoppable. Having lengthy reloads means you need to pick your fights more carefully
    • Up x 2
  4. Groucho Marxist

I just figure smaller clips reload faster, both for the sake of balance and because a smaller clip is probably easier to load into a gun.
    • Up x 1
  5. Ronin Oni

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  6. JibbaJabba

LOL.

Dunno about that man. That's pretty dang fast for most.
  7. IamDH

Nanites. Do i have to explain every time?
    • Up x 1
  8. Elkybam

If reload time didn't matter for long-range weapons, how come the Gauss SAW gets the longest reload of the 3 basic LMGs?

Totally agree with your points proven.
  9. Tar

to balance their overall damage over time
    it's kind of obvious
    • Up x 2
  10. Trudriban

100 rounds gives you a ton of sustained fire capabilities which is why the low mag count guns have a fast reload in the first place. Since the SAW is already the most painful gun in the game that infantry can carry, having a quick reload would be overkill
    (edit because I found a better way to put it)

And now I'm wondering what would happen if there was a 50 (or 30) round SAW alternative that did have a faster reload than average
  11. sagolsun

Some guns don't have polarity indicators. Your character takes extra time to check if it's put right side in. Improper battery installation may cause your character's spandex to catch on fire.
    • Up x 2
  12. GhostAvatar

The basic logic is pretty simple. The higher the DPS (before reloading) and damage per mag, the longer the reload. While this may not always be the case, it is the general format and balances those weapons.

Because it has a higher damage per mag.
    • Up x 1
  13. WyrdHarper

Because the SAW also has the highest DPMag in the game.
  14. LibertyRevolution

Saw has 20,000 worth of damage per mag.
    Carv has 14,300 worth of damage per mag.
    Orion has 7,150 worth of damage per mag.

That is why the reload speed goes:
    Saw 7.5s
    Carv 6.2s
    Orion 3.7s

NS-15M does 7,865 worth of damage per mag with a reload speed is 2.5s.
    Its damage being same as Orion, but its ROF being 125RPM slower, so faster reload keeps the DPS overtime competitive.
    • Up x 1