Reddit Poll by Wrel: Game's Biggest Issues

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GuhMaster2512, Jan 22, 2017.

1. GuhMaster2512

Thought some of the players here who aren't on reddit would like to take part in the poll.

Link
    • Up x 4
  2. LaughingDead

Glad to see wrel likes strawpolls.

Ty for the info
  3. ColonelChingles

This is a great example of how writing the poll can influence the results... there are no options for, say, "weak tanks" or "ineffective air".

So what's going to happen is that Wrel will run around saying that poorly performing vehicles are not a problem in PS2 because according to the poll x issue was much more important.

Well no duh, it's because you didn't put it as an option on the poll! :rolleyes:

It would be like asking Americans today what the most important national issue was:
    Our national lizard
    Lesothan-American relations
    Colonization of Jupiter

Wrel... NOT MY DEV. :p
    • Up x 8
  4. The Shady Engineer

Hmm voted for unbalanced fights and unsurprisingly it's the number one option on the poll with over 50% of the vote. Second closest- gameplay balance only has 13%.

Thanks for bringing it up to us non redditors.
  5. Campagne

I am surprised to see "Imbalanced Fights (Zerging)" is so far ahead of the rest. I voted "Gameplay Balance" as vague as that is, because much of the proposed solutions to zerging suck massively and in my opinion the other options are complete non-issues.
  6. DorinFoehammer

7. Okjoek

I think the people who are complaining about zerging are stupid.

I voted for lack of outfit progression and after that I would've voted either construction underdevelopment or platoon/squad incentive.

Zerging is literally part of the game. If you don't like zergs there's many things you can do. You can fall back and prepare traps like mines and build roadblocks using the ANT. Then ontop of that you can pull a sniper class and kill the idiots that sit still or try to use vehicle terminals.

The only way you can alter Zerging without ruining the game might be to change the latice system which itself was implemented before I even joined the game I think so I have no experience when it comes to suggesting anything about it.
    • Up x 1
  8. The Shady Engineer

Imo zerging is what makes new players quit. All the other stuff- construction, outfits, competitive scoring, balance etc are stuff us vets are worried about but the lack of outfit progression isn't what fails to keep new players to stick around.

It doesn't matter what side of the zerg you're on , it's crap gameplay either way. You either stare at an empty spawn room and kill the occasional rambo who thinks running outside against 90% overpop with force multipliers is a good idea or you're being a spawn room warrior and kill the occasional dope trying to lick the spawn room window because he's so god damn bored because he got like 10 kills in the past hour being part of the zerg.

Rinse and repeat until the zerg hits a roadblock like a tower, bio lab, 3 point base etc where they get mercilessly farmed for 7-15 minutes until people rage quit and the zerg dissipates.

End of the day, PS2 is running on a F2P model and the more people keep playing the more money Daybreak makes, the more problems it can address. Fix zerging and the rest will follow.

My 2 cents.
    • Up x 3
  9. OldMaster80

I didn't vote for gameplay balance just there is a huge number of weapons that are just a copy & paste from a faction to another. And I do not believe the very few faction specific items we have really make a difference.

The biggest problem imo is PS2 has been designed to appeal casual players as much as possible and it has been simplified so much that any form of strategy has been completely eradicated. In the end it all turned into a sequence of fights without a connection because whenever you fail you just have the option to redeploy.
    Big strategic outfits simply disappeared because in the end it's all about spamming force multipliers (vehicles) and zerg as much as possible. And there is simply no incentives discouraging people from doing it.

Resources still mean zero after 4 years, and there is no reason to play in a smart way. Directives just made things worse as they only encouraged kills farming instead of objectives oriented gameplay. And construction, besides the incredible potential, didn't help to change the situation. Battles for Hives are not so amazing, and no-build zones are too big.
    • Up x 1
  10. travbrad

I would have to agree zerging is the biggest problem, especially for new players who haven't quite realized it's often better to just redeploy to a better fight rather than bang your head against the 90% enemy population and tank/air spam outside the spawn room. Tactics and skilled players can overcome a certain amount of overpopulation but at a certain point it truly does become impossible.

It also makes me think the people who care enough about PS2 to take polls about it aren't the average player though. It's the players who are doing the zerging in the first place, yet it's also the players who think it's the biggest problem. There is a disconnect there. So often I log in and just see one giant zerg fight with the 20 other potential regions to fight at pretty much empty. If those players got spread around a bit more it would be a lot more fun but I'm not sure how the game itself can incentivize that.

There are also the ghost capping zergs that just roll around with 50 people capturing bases that are almost completely uncontested, which I also don't understand how anyone finds fun, but that seems to be what a lot of people play the game for rather than shooting internet mans.
    • Up x 1
  11. Ziggurat8

Thanks for the heads up.
  12. LaughingDead

Personally I don't think new players are going in, playing one hour, thinking "I should go to reddit about this game!". I'm pretty sure this forum and reddit is against new players zerging entirely. Something odd observed with new streamers on the game is that they die, go like "oh well" and are simply fascinated with the game. Even over deaths that vets would be pissed over, they simply shrug off and continue (which is astonishing, I'm enthralled watching this phenomena). Firstly I doubt these are newer players actually polling on this, because I doubt new players really have a problem with zerging. If I introduced you to golsplartch, an FPRGMO that was super fun, how hard would you question the highest level of PVP? You don't even know the game, what the game is, what it has to offer, you just think it's fun.

I gotta say this is rather a fun study to say the least.
  13. Ziggurat8

Gotta have 15 polls about 45 topics in March madness elimination style to arrive at the true issues that need to be addressed.

One could argue that vehicle balance, IE tanks that actually die, would fall under the category of balance. I guess it depends on how you interpret balance.

Haven't met many players that don't find some issue with population in PS2 though. Surprised they even needed a poll for that.
  14. Corezer

This poll didn't have "Not enough capture mechanics." so I picked gameplay balance, next closest thing.
  15. metrotw

Still posting on Reddit instead of here.

Different devs....Same asshattery
    • Up x 2
  16. OgreMarkX

Excuse me, but Lesotho (home of Lesothan's) is a critical player on the international stage. This land locked, tribal administrative country born from back-door handshakes with the decades ago Apartheid Govt of S. Africa decades ago-- is today a viable nuclear submarine powered country and will likely be the first country with a Lunar Colony.

Its prime competitor, Burkina-Faso, formerly Upper Volta (a much cooler name), requires some watching as well.
    • Up x 2
  17. Ziggurat8

New players don't know they're not supposed to suck at the game. They're still figuring things out and even the respawn system takes some time to understand. It's usually they join up with some salty vets, hear them pissing and moaning about what ever and slowly the rose colored glasses come off.

How long into the game does it take for them to realize that pop matters more to the overall battle then anything else? I mean really understand it...10 hours? 20? 50? Probably less than the time it takes before they aren't considered new any more. But that is just my opinion.
    • Up x 1
  18. JobiWan

I voted zerging because that's the closest thing to what spoils the game for me. Number 1 in my list is game/server performance and bugs that are never fixed, or updates that introduce new bugs.

But my enjoyment is regularly spoiled by large outfits (one in particular, it's what you do with a spade to make a hole) who regularly drop on good fights with two full platoons and obliterate everyone in sight.

Zerging is boring either way. I don't know the answer to it other than playing a different game when it's too bad.
  19. Kcalehc

What no 'poor Logistics' option, no 'transportation is useless' option. Terrible bias poll, too few options, poorly explained. Would not vote again.
    • Up x 3
  20. Diilicious

very important difference, my brother was pretty amazed by the absolute f**kload out allies he was steaming down a lane with when i got him to play, and then the tables were turned and he was at a base surrounded by about 200 combined trid/tdfn vanu's and he didnt wanna play anymore... and im justl ike "The hells wrong wit you boy" but it also kinda sorta happened with one or two of my friends as well, so im sorta the only person i know that plays planetside nowadays. from several dozen people on various servers who used to.