Recon detect device - No reward?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CaptainVolcanoes, Nov 27, 2012.

1. CaptainVolcanoes

Now, I know, some might say that the reward for using the Infiltrator's detect device is that you and your allies get to see enemies, in buildings and behind cover, a quick grenade through the window and suddenly no more red blobs (at least on the minimap, cleaning the walls is another matter entirely.)

"You did a good thing for your team! Have.. erm.. nothing! Good job, we expect you to do it again!
    FOR <Insert faction name here>!!!"

Thanks, but no thanks. Now, I'm not saying that using the device requires any sort of skill (Ever fired a BB gun blindfolded?) but I feel we should be rewarded for actively fulfilling our class' role, as all the other classes do, right? (I know we get rewarded from hacking as well, but that's only when we reach the base, and the terminals haven't been shot off their hinges)

I know this game is still fresh off the press as it were, and is slowly being refined into the game we all want to play, but I thought I'd put it out there in case something small like this gets overlooked.
  2. Arturiel

The reward is free kills, which means free points, for you and your team since you knew where the enemy was and was able to take them out before they could kill you because of your radar hack. Giving infs points for simply pointing and shooting something in a general direction is almost on the same level as giving someone points for breathing.
  3. Big J Money

I agree with OP. Mauybe 5-10 XP per kill. It's no different than an engineer placing ammo or a Sundy spawn reward. In fact, it requires MUCH more skill as an infiltrator because you have to be personally in the battle yourself and continue to use your ability.

In addition it would have the added benefit of causes infs to actually use the thing.
  4. Lurid

While i somewhat agree with what you are saying Art, it would be easy XP,but its the same thing as spotting pretty much,which you get XP for as well. And it really isnt that much different than an engineer throwing down an ammo pack for everyone to resupply off of. Which you get even more for than spotting someone.
  5. Ravenorth

I agree with this, and then there is also the fact every other class got something to get some extra xp and inf have nothing actually, expect hacking, but xp gain from that is really low.
  6. Dramonicous

heres a simple solution...

every enemy thats being detected by the sensor dart will be marked as "spotted" by the infil who used it, then they get spot bonus if the enemy dies.

this might yeild quite a bit in a zerg, but compare it to other vehicles that for example rocket spam sunderers with 10-20 peps around it. or why not a medic that can spam res, during the double exp week under the holiday i had a boost active aswell and gained about 1 cert every 3-5 sec as medic.
  7. Hydragarium

I wouldn't mind a tiny XP bonus for spotting (not anywhere near the regular spotting bonus of course) similar to the one Sunderer owners get (It's what 2-5XP per spawn?) if the persons are killed while spotted by the recon device.
  8. FateJH

Agreed. Infiltrator should get spotting rewards for everything that recon device lights up.
    Heck, I think he deserves a little XP per red blip that the device lights up since TTK can be short.
  9. Arctorius

Comparing it to a game like Battlefield Bad Company 2 where the snipers got a radar grenade that rewarded you for every kill made within the range of the grenade while it's active, yes the infiltrator's dart seems unrewarding.

I often find myself playing engineer because it just the easiest way to get consistent XP, particularly when following the vehicle zerg where you're not likely to get any kills anyways or on those few times where you're defending an outpost, all that XP from the ammo drop AND the repair tool means you're pretty much raking it in the whole time.