Recent performance drop

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by lncabin, Jan 13, 2013.

1. lncabin

i5-3450
    16GB 1600
    SSD
    Sli 550ti

Running at 1920x1080 with everything on high except for shadows which are on medium.
    Previously I'd get around 60fps all around the warpgate and I still do except now when I look in the direction of the spawn tubes my fps drop which I think is due to the force field effect texture on the tubes. The tubes can be behind a wall and my fps will drop to around 35 if I look towards their direction. This also seems to be happening with mana turrets which have the same or similar texture.
  2. lncabin

I may have found a possible solution. While playing around with the graphics settings trying to compensate for the decrease in FPS I noticed my FPS went back up when I switched the graphics quality setting from high to medium or low then back to high. Even though it says you need to restart for changes to take effect the texture quality will change without a restart. Flipping the setting from high to medium then back to high seemed to put my FPS back to around 50-60 around the warpgate without losing graphics quality. Not sure why this works but it is working for me, although I'll need to do it every time I log in.
    • Up x 2
  3. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

I'm glad you found a way to help, but I'll put that on the list of things to check this week.
    • Up x 1
  4. TheEvilBlight

Wonder if this is true with texture settings as well...
  5. Hatamoto

Changing sound quality to 192 (i think) in game also gave me a small boost in fps ... gameplay became alot smoother, as in mouse response increased even during 40-45 fps (this is usually when it becomes real sluggish for any real fps player)
  6. Hatamoto

How many people are working on optimizations btw? sounds like you are the only one cycle? :p
    • Up x 1
  7. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

Don't worry, there's more than me - I'm just the one crazy enough to post on the forums. ;)

[ edit : I didn't want to sound like I avoided the question - it's a shared engine, so people on our team and other teams are working on it, I don't know the exact numbers because of that ]
    • Up x 3
  8. Hatamoto

Cool ... now that i have you "trapped" (?) in this thread ;) ... add looking at the HUD being an fps hog in heavy combat to that to-look-at-list .. i kid you not, it took off 10 fps in a bio lab just now .. thats 10 fps from 40 to 50 .. probably equivalent to OC:ing the cpu another Ghz.
    • Up x 1
  9. TheEvilBlight

It probably means that to protect EQ Next from failure to render Enchanted Green Sasquatch that Forgelight optimizations may trickle from EQ to PSide. Exciting.
  10. Spookydodger

Crazy would certainly be an apt description. It's somewhat akin to walking into a crowd with a sandwich board strapped to you saying "I am directly or indirectly responsible for everything you hate" with a very fine print part below it that reads "And everything you love".

I appreciate your feedback, and hope that problems aren't causing too much consternation behind the scenes.
  11. NeonDrache

12. NeonDrache

Have you guys checked into the models themselves, I've heard that there are double polygons on certain models.
  13. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

It appears that Disk (or other I/O) is getting behind on your machine - I would imagine it gets worse when you're recording video or if you're running other applications in addition to Planetside 2?
    • Up x 1
  14. NeonDrache

It started happening after the latest patch, I've tried everything from defragmenting to using Razer's Gamebooster to no avail.
  15. Torque221

In beta i was using PerfectDisk defragmenter with real time defrag protection turned on with the drive with PS2 installed and it was acting similar. Turned off real time protection and ps2 worked fine.
  16. BigWreck

I've seen a performance drop as well, ever since the patch that was supposed to fix the memory leak.

The good news is that my FPS doesn't seem to go down over time (memory leak), but the bad news is that I start off about 40 fps lower than I used to...

Was getting 60 to 100 fps at the warpgate, 40 to 60 in battle.
    Now I'm getting 45 to 60 at warpgate, 25 to 45 in battle.

Still opptimistic about the optimizations later this month, but that will be the "make our break" point for me...
  17. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

Thanks, all of you, for this extra info - I'm adding this all to my notes.
    • Up x 1
  18. bishopau

With regards to the HUD being a FPS hog. Its possibly the mini map that is the main hog as its constantly updating players positions.

So what in effect are seeing are the players postions being updated twice. Once infront of you,in your FOV and the second time on your mini map or slightly larger map.

If you could add the option to remove the mini map it may give some of us a fps boost.
  19. DeltaGun

I noticed an FPS drop after the last patch.

It turns out my overclock settings on Afterburner had reset so re-OC'd my GPU (unrelated to PS2). I also deleted UserOption.ini.

After those fixes I got my pre-patch performance back.
  20. TangoQD

I had that problem while looking in certain directions, I discovered it was a setting enabled in nvidia control panel, something to do with anti aliasing. I don't remember which one though.