RECAP: Friday Night Ops - Episode 47

Discussion in 'Friday Night Ops' started by Luperza, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Luperza Community Manager

[IMG]

This week on Friday Night Ops:
    • Host: Margaret "Luperza" Krohn
    • [00:15:09 PM] Intro + Giveaway
    • [00:17:00 PM] Operation: Make Faster Game
    • [00:29:55 PM] World Domination Series
    • [00:32:17 PM] Dev Play Session: Engineering Q&A and play session with Programmer Alex "Muldoonx9" Hoffman, repping NC.
    • [01:19:00 PM] Dev Play Session: Systems Design Q&A and play session with Game Designer David "Malorn" Bennett, repping TR.
    • [01:58:00 PM] Dev Play Session: Marketplace Depot Q&A and play session with Game Designer Taylor "Tayradactyl" Dowell, repping VS.
    Don't forget to redeem your "EQNVEHICLEDECAL" code!!

Where:

When: 10/04/2013 5PM - 7PM PDT
    Server: TBD before each segment
    Don't forget to use our hashtag #PS2FNO and follow us on Twitter @PlanetSide2, and @PurrfectStorm

If you want to know what Friday Night Ops is or how you can be a part of it, go here!
    • Up x 4
  2. blueangleofdeath

There goes my sides for the night again lol. This will be an awesome show. For some reason I have a feeling that Taylor will be secretly doing things behind you guys or behind the camera. Also who comes up with these captions? This is SO true.
    • Up x 1
  3. IronWarrior

Old Crown was best.
    • Up x 3
  4. mrvanillaice1

ha
    • Up x 1
  5. FischiPiSti

Is this a good place to post questions? I dont have twitter and are from ye olde continent, so cant really tune in live :(

@ Muldoon: Can we have client side hit detection on vehicles? Or something to improve roadkilling? Currently you can run over enemies without actually registering a hit, but can roadkill a friendly by not even beeing near him.

@ Malorn: What are your thoughts about waved spawns as a replacement/addition to lone instant action? Similar to HART shuttles from PS1, but with the IA location choosing to be more like a public transport/matchmaking system where people waiting for a shuttle may be given an option to form a squad and may also have better survining chances as a new player experience while also potentially adding more equal battles where reeinforcements are needed(system would limit drops to a certain battle based on numbers needed, excess numbers would be dropped to a secondary location with a different squad)?
    Tried to compress the idea to this question.rar, the longer post is on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1ngek2/shuttle_to_replace_instant_action/
  6. Luperza Community Manager

Yeah, you can post questions here.

The second question you just posted is LONG! :p I recommend keeping your questions short. This goes for anyone. :)
  7. Stew360

this is so true and anoying ... the ennemy are like half way in the middle of your vehicules you literally see them under /inside your vehicules with no colision and they manage to get 0 damage out of it , While friendly are like barely near by your vehicules and manage to give you a friendly grief roadkill ...

really need to be sort out
  8. Czuuk

@anyone Any chance of a hotfix for the lock on warning tone bug?
  9. Rockit

Great show tonight! One of the best I have seen. It was awesome you all stayed around when Twitch put the stream up on it's frontpage before the LoL world finals just at the scheduled end of FNO and you kept going for an additional hour. That got PS2 a lot of exposure it does not normally get. Great job!
  10. FischiPiSti

MAGGIE!
    My name is pronounced "fishy pishty"! I'll forgive you if you ask Muldoon(or someone who can answer) next time about DX10/11 support.
  11. blueangleofdeath

Someone did ask about that. They won't be supporting it.

Maggie, David, Taylor, and Alex.

Thank you SO much for answering all of my questions. This was my most favorite streams so far. :)
  12. Mogsy

Dearest Luperza, when are we going to be able to buy hoodies and t-shirts.........need clothing badly!!!!

lots of people wanting to give SOE cash for these items...been nearly a year since launch
  13. FischiPiSti

Too bad, it would help in optimizations too :/
    Could you point me to that question? Cant find it
  14. blueangleofdeath

It was said in the show. Unfortunately the recap isn't up yet but is was in the first part of the of it with Alex "muldonnx9" Hoffman
  15. Luperza Community Manager

• Up x 1
  16. FischiPiSti

I watched the recap again, but didnt find it, i think you meant 64 bit client, or PhysX, so my question still stands:

DirectX10/11 support?
  17. DukeFlash

• Up x 1
  18. Irathi

Luperza

At approx 1hr 54m you discuss the gameplay after all points have been captured and summarize it to "figure out where they spawn and hold them in there" = camp the spawnshields.

So the gameplay is literally set up to encourage spawn camping for the duration it takes to flip the base.

Why?

Why not do it like in PS1 where spawntubes could be brought down? That would free the attackers to go do something more fun (attack the next base), it would also force the defenders to re-organize at a different location, bringing armor, aircraft, sunderers etc to the fight rather than sitting behind a spawnshield trying to get easy kills.

I find absolutely no pleasure in camping a spawnshield for 5-10 minutes simply because if I don't the base will get overrun. I would much rather be fighting incoming NC/VS/TR that are trying to recapture the base using actually organized tactics. It also shouldn't take much imagination to figure out that the guys sitting behind the spawnshield probably are mostly the new players who doesn't know what to do in such a situation (and K/D padders), they end up just being stuck in that spawnroom and get killed if they go outside.

The only argument I've heard that is a good one for the pro-indestructible spawn mechanic is that you can mass up a counter attack from inside the spawn. - but this could easily be done from any other base, sunderer, galaxy etc which would encourage teamplay and counter-attacks.

I also have a beef with the current placement of the spawns. Usually it is out in the wide open and the reason for this I guess, is so that you can actually prevent people from spawning by locking it down = spawncamping. Is that really the sort of gameplay you want though?

Why not place the spawnroom somewhere not so easily accessed (like inside the main structure), but allow some sort of mechanic to bring them down. Either by doing direct damage to the spawntubes, which typically can only by achieved at a very early stage of the fight or by adding another generator that powers the tubes. That generator could for instance be placed on the roof like the old Bio Labs of PS1, or maybe the generator should be inside somewhere it is possible to get to, but also possible to defend.

More mechanics to capture a base = more fun for both attacker and defender :)