[Suggestion] Random QoL requests for 2015

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Degenatron, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Degenatron

Someone had made a thread like this the other day, and it was actually a snarky dig at faction balancing and game performance, which is a shame because there are QoL improvements many of us would like to see in the new year.

Granted, I know of Smed's tweets about focusing on game performance first, and I completely agree with that plan of attack. This is for AFTER that phase is complete.

Here are my suggestions in no specific order:

Different Aiming Recticles For AV vs AA rocket launchers
    This a pretty easy one I would think and it would remove a minor annoyance. When playing the NC, sorry don't know if the VS and TR have this same problem, the Hawk and the Crow both have the same scope. Maky times I will aim at a vehicle and wonder for a few seconds why I'm not getting a lock. Oh, duh, I have the wrong rocket launcher. I'm not asking for a whole new model for one RL or the other, just a different aim recticle so you can tell instantly what you are supposed to be aiming at.

Truncate the "Raise Rocket Launcher" animation when scrolled past
    When using the scroll wheel to switch weapons, if I accidentally scroll past the rocket launcher, it takes control away from my character until the RL gets to a certain position. It also stops updating the weapon select GUI, even though the selection is still happening in the background. This can be extremely frustrating because it's usually in instances where I'm trying to get to my med kit or my pistol and losing control of weapon switching is deadly. Just cut the animation of the "Raise Rocket Launcher" as soon as we scroll off of it and beging the "raise X weapon" animation right away. This feels more like a bug fix request actually.

Restore the old rocket flight paths
    This one will probably be controversial, but I'm throwing it in anyway. I don't know why the rocket pathing was changed, but it's made the lock-on rockets nearly unusable. Trying to get a lock, and then firing only to have the rocket whiz off on an "intercept course", and then smacking a tree or a building that it really should never have gone towards is extremely frustrating. The rocket should fly straight out of the RL for at least 15m before yawing towards the target.

Stabilized name labels
    The name labels above players heads are attached to the model in a way that causes them to bounce and jitter when that player runs. It can be extremely frustrating when you are trying to get someones name. It would be nice if the name was stabilized above the players head.

Low ammo beep
    This would be for both infantry and vehicle weapons. It would be a "low ammo" warning that would let you know when your ammo is getting dangerously low. On infantry, it would play when your second to last magazine was switched out, the same for vehicle weapons that have a magazine. For tanks, or any other "single projectile wepaons", it would player for the last five rounds loaded into the barrel. This would be so nice because in the heat of battle it is easy to lose track of your ammo count, leaving you high and dry with no ammo to retreat with.

Jump Rail animation
    This is the one that got me thinking about this list. It would be so nice if when a infantry model ran against a railing and pressed jump, the player would put on hand on the rail and throw his feet over. Currently, rails "grab" the player and prevent them from jumping over, meaning that often we have to back up and vault the rail again. I suspect this is very frustrating for new players who struggle to figure out why they can't hop these waist-high railings.

Ping Sound for infantry radar
    This would only be for Infantry Radar and NOT for Scout Radar. It would play an audible ping (like a submarines active sonar) when ever an enemy player was detected and displayed on the minimap. The biggest problem with the Infantry Radar is that is requires constant visual monitoring to make it useful. That really beats the purpose of having infantry radar because you can't keep your eyes up on the hud.

Show Friend Status on Squad invites
    This would help players remember if the player that is inviting them to a squad is someone they've friended previously. Maybe a little star next to their names in the invite window.

Resource Icon shows time until next deposit
    The Nanite Icon on the HUD could be divided into quarters. After 15 seconds passed a quarter would fill in, and they would fill in a clockwise motion. This would give players an estimate on how long until their next res deposit at-a-glance.

Resource Info of the Deployment screen
    If would be nice to have the current amount of resources available and the next deposit time on the deployment screen because that will often inform a player of where they should deploy (at their current location or back up that lattice where they can pull an aircraft or MBT).

Forward Camera for Tanks
    This would be a small Picture-in-picture view that would allow players to see what is in front of them when they have the turret turned. This would be especially useful for Skyguard drivers who must attempt to engage aircraft overhead with little or no fix object on which to get a reference. It would also apply to MBTs and Lightnings. It could replace the mini-map, and the H key could cycle through that window's modes (small map, big map, front camera).

Please add your own and comment. Please do not use this thread to ask for faction specific nerfs or buffs or complain about game performance.
    • Up x 4
  2. NinjaTurtle

I agree with all except the low ammo beep. It seems a bit redundant when all it takes is a very quick glance
  3. HadesR

I want the game to stop taking me to the map screen every time I redeploy.

If I hit redeploy and then look at the Directive screen ... For the love of God Don't take me to the map screen once the deploy timer hits zero ..

I know where the **** the map is .
    If at THAT precise moment I wanted to be on the map screen I would be FFS

It's annoying beyond belief ..
    • Up x 1
  4. Auzor

Impressive stuff.. Forward camera is my favorite I think; in the sense that it is "original".

Engineer: allow people to map "ammo box" to something else than "cloak", "shield", etc.
    It is extremely annoying to end up in a fight, press F out of a reflex and.. "here's some ammunition!".
    Not my own idea; still QoL improvement.

More ironsights for the pistols; example: I like the desperado Iron sights. But I can't put em on the rebel for example. It is a subtle difference. But I'd like to have moar; able to switch sights from the faction would just be a start.
    On a balance note: the same sight selection for ES pistols that NS weaponry now has. (ironsights cheaper cert wise than "scope" sights)
    (and I think many ES pistols can use a buff now; with the commie, underboss.. )
    Similarly, choice in sights for the RL's.

Regarding sights:
    NC are currently the only faction with a "crosshair" 3.4x scope.
    My main is NC; I love crosshairs.. but I can see no reason at all for the "classic military" faction for example, to forget how to paint a crosshair on a lens. -> TR & VS 3.4x crosshair scopes. These could be "diagonal" crosshairs to have some variety.
    (I hate the chevron crosshairs.. )

2x reflex sights: give us the option to have a "dot only" 2x reflex sight.
    In the "moar sights!" update, the existing sights were changed, and now there is a circle (or brackets for NC) around the dot.
    I don't want the cicrly stuff.
    Green, Yellow, Red dot. Oh, and Blue for the NC. As "crispy" as the 1x Red Reflex sight, please. tyvm.

Different sights for vehicles:
    I've noticed I'm not a fan of the TR lightning sights.
    But I can't change em. :(
    It's not just the sights; the red can be an issue on parts of indar (IMO)

Making vehicle Nightvision have a role:
    thermal highlights everything, and is rather popular..

Vehicle Nightvision: should have a longer range than thermal; give it 1.25-1.5x magnification; increase the contrast, make enemy vehicles especially clearer, terrain more visible,..
    on paper it says something like 1000m. Sorry, it seems far, far lower effective range.

I realize these are on a quite different tangent from yours, as it is in a sense, "new content" for several.
    However, the team designing iron sights I'd hope has little to do with the team trying to solve "hit detection".

QoL:
    PingPongBallSide.
    On a slope, starts sliding.. and suddenly you're bouncing, taking fall damage..
    -> Needs to be fixed. A "lower fall damage" implant is NOT an acceptable fix.