Quit planetside 2 after 20 hours - or a look of a new player at the game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Yellowstar, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Vashyo

Population has been slowly declining as time goes by, after steam sale it suddenly dropped by 25% more on steam, so I suppose some people switched to newer games.

Biggest issue for me and some of my buddies is that it just doesnt have any end-game, what you play in your first week in the game is the same you play 6 months in the future, so ofcourse it gets tedious if you want something else than capturing the same bases multiple times a day. The war doesnt move anywhere, more land you capture the easier it becomes to lose it all again.

Majority of people just stay on the continent that has the most people, which is usually Indar. We need to have the battles moving between continents ASAP, variety of gameplay is too one-sided now. :/
    The game is just not fun when you dont have enough people to play with, I usually quit cause I feel the battles aren't equal or I feel I'm not meeting up enough resistance and I'm just wasting my time capturing empty bases for peanuts (certs).

Lattice brought some sense into the gameplay but it's still a game of poker and success is too strongly based on luck. Game is NOT fun when you're fighting 2 of the other sides heavily simultaneously and are completely incapable of forming a solid defense, because you don't have the numbers to compete. I so want to get rid of the constant 3-way battle raging in the game.

Game is too hard for new people too, they get owned by vets and lose interest cause of frustration.

There's still performance issues that won't be sorted until PS4 version becomes available, so tons of people aren't even capable of playing the game.

The game is not gonna die though, that's just exaggeration. It still offers something different which keeps people playing it at times. I actually play it like I used to play counter-strike back in the day. Casually for an hour or two every now and then when I'm bored and dont have anything better to play.
  2. faykid

First of all, not all good guns are 1000 certs. What you want is top tier weapon NOW. I don't think there is a game out there offering you that.

You can have bolt action for 100 certs for your sniper and do headshots just as easily as with 1000 cert Paralax. For HA, you can have great 100 and 250 cert LMGs (LSW, Flare). For medic, you can have the incredibly good H-V45 for just 250 certs. For engineer, you can have the Solstice SF with UGBL for 500 certs. You can buy Cosmos for your Max for just 250 certs. The list continues.

I think the problem is you can't beat this game with regular weapons, you want super canon right away to OHK

if you happened to defend a facility while being underpopulated, it does not mean that the game is bad. it means that you faction was underpopulated at those facilities, nothing else. when a facility is lost, its lost. you can't run out coz you die? shoot out of the spawn room to farm, redeploy 30 seconds to cap. go somewhere you are needed.
  3. SgtScum

Haha! Welp if the game is dying the forums are certainly alive and kicking. :p

Populations seem to be holding steady with a solid core of players. Once hossin and other game enhancing mechanics like battle islands are out and they get enough optimizations in the game for players with not so new rigs to be able to at least compete at a steady 30~60fps they can start pushing some serious efforts to draw in new players.

Steam's chart is only valid for those that use the steam client and doesn't account for players who uninstalled the steam version for the normal one. Whilst the clients might be identical the steam version also has to have the steam client loaded so for systems with only 4 gigs of memory it can slow down the game. I know this as I first heard about ps2 from steam and quickly figured out it ran much better after uninstalling and using the normal client on my old 4 gig c2d system.
  4. Kortan

By that time COD dog and BF4 will be out.
  5. SgtScum

And? Those are kiddie games that will keep the kiddies entertained for however many hours it takes to finish the single player then get tired of the multiplayer because they are deliberately content limited.

This is why there is always another cod or bf game. Meanwhile this game will continue to grow and add new content that doesn't require a $60 initial purchase then at least three $20~30 dlc packs just to keep up with the crowd so you have someone to fight.
  6. Kortan

My point is, this game has nothing unique, it's BF without the polish yada yada etc.
    Hossin wont change this, and anything meaningful that will actually add any reason to play beyond DM and ****** pumping is a loooong way out, despite being the #1 thing PS2's needed since beta.

I guarantee the playerbase will take a large hit in October/November.

EDIT:Really ȅ-**** is censored and yet I can say porchmonkey?

EDIT EDIT:Mothercunting pȅȅn is censored?
  7. SgtScum

Cod and bf are unique? Wut? Both have been recycling the exact same game for nearly a decade with nothing more than slight graphics tweaks and MOAR killstreaks.

Get out..
  8. Kortan

You seem to be a little aggressive there, calm down, i'm not cunting your wife.

I didn't say they were unique, they make the cunty game industry even cuntier.
    Get out.. And stop jumping to conclusions.
  9. SgtScum

Which implies that those games are somehow unique as you used it as a contrast against a game you consider to not be unique.

If you are unsatisfied with the game atm then go away for a bit and come back later. It will still be here waiting for you.
  10. Kortan

Noooo, I compared it to something popular and current that it's very similar to.
  11. Bill Hicks

it is pay to win.

resources are tied to xp and xp and resources can be boosted. Which means that any serious tanks or pilot will have boosts to maintain uptime. And infantry will have the advantage of knowing they can spam healing packs and grenades.

No can refute this.
  12. SgtScum

Ok then. Let me put it this way. Anyone who we lose to bf4 will be coming back because by the bf games very nature it has limited replayability. It also costs $60 so that's going to be a huge negative incentive to bail from ps2 to play bf4 as the free to play crowd is notoriously broke.

So we have a game that costs a minimum of $60 just to get the core game plus the inevitable dlc vs a free to play game which is by your words nearly identical but lacking a bit of polish.

I'm betting we actually gain players from those who are looking at shelling out again when they could just play this game for free and get content just as fast as with the bf series if you look at development time between each bf revision.
  13. Kortan

I'm just going to agree to disagree.
  14. Vixxing

BUT? Steam saaaaaawks!
  15. Crashsplash

1. PAY 2 WIN (OR SELL YOUR SOUL 2 WIN)
    So, I've chosen Vanu as my faction, got through the tutorial, etc etc - now it's gun time!

I don't have much to say about the prices except that I don't find them onerous.

Where you're wrong is saying the default guns suck, they don't they're pretty good once you get used to them.

Pay to Win - borderline in my view.

2. POINTLESS
    Ehm, how should I put it? The game is pointless :)
    Killed 10 people? Died 10 times in a row? Total pro? Terrible feeder? Captured a facility? Captured a continent? .......
    MY SUGGESTION: lots of them.

I disagree with awarding XP here there and everywhere. The game then become nothing but a xp farm when it should be a battle.

If the reason for playing is not to win in a fierce competition between empires then the game has failed. Farming is sterile (ironic).

The 'pointless' issue is something that has been raised since beta and the devs are addressing it wit the inter-continental conquest which will arrive within several months.

3. SPAWN CAMPING / SITTING IN THE SPAWN ROOM.

This one is really annoying. People just sitting in the spawn room and not going out (since it's really easy to camp the spawn room entrances), and just patiently waiting until the base gets captured. Out of around 10 defenses I've played so far, only one managed to push back and reclaim the base.

MY SUGGESTION:

For example, make a final capture point (if there are several) INSIDE the spawn room, and make the spawn room shield go down when all the other points have been captured.
    The problem is the lack of attempts to recapture hacked bases. Why should this be? How could it be encouraged? I think the reason in part is that it's too hard because the capture timers are too short for a squad or platoon to organise a rehack. Also because there is no noticeable rehack award (there is a defence award but it is not noticeable because is a small boost to xp during the defence).

4. SPREAD OUT SERVER POPULATION.

First, you're making a huge FPS game with massive battles...but then you not only spread the population across three continents, but also across 10 different servers! As a result (at the point of writing), there are only semi-massive battles and only in peak times, the rest of the time the scale is actually smaller than Battlefield.
    My desire for large-scale combat remains pretty much unsatisfied.
    The devs want to spread out the population for performance reasons. However, 3 continents? We're about to get a fourth plus 3 Battle Islands. The way to concentrate battles is:
    1. Continental Lattice
    2. Inter-continental lattice
    3. Better Empire communication so that outfits and platoons can contribute to an overall strategy and know where they need to go to attack and the priorities for defence. (this still needs thought I reckon)

MY SUGGESTION:
    First, merge three continents into one big one (containing all three as parts of itself).
    Second, make just one or two servers! EVE online can do this, why can't you?
    Erm no. PS2 is not Eve. Merging continents would not be easy and there's already a different solution under construction.

And, as you can see, lots of other are quitting as well.
    Planetside 2 is slowly dying.
    Numbers drop naturally after a release. It's sensible to look at the reasons why players stop playing but there's no need for drama.
  16. csp0811

17. TripleAych

Planetside 2 might be free to play when it comes to money, but not time.
    And time is money.
    So F2P games are very rarely "free to enjoy".
  18. Halo572

There might be something worth returning to in 4-6 months, being over a year since it was launched, but at present I don't think there is anything in this game for a normal gamer.

The only other game I've played with a player base more odious than PS2 is SMNC, where the veterans didn't really see anything wrong with playing 5 veterans versus 1 new player having driven off the other 3-4 by their steam roll stomps.

That has around 160 players peak now, so shows what that attitude did for that game and it is no loss to the world of gaming.

Same with this game, you can find some good fights with normal players sometimes, but it is only a matter of time until you come across the 'best' players in an outfit who are either farming a zerg because there is no counter to their play style or just sneaking around in a tank/aircraft preying on small pockets of infantry and not trying to play the objective or game in any way.

I can understand anyone giving up after 20 hours, I have given up many times to come back to try again, but I have uninstalled last week to not play until at least Christmas.

I would hope that leaving it for another 4 months might give the developers time to get some sort of game play or solid objectives into the game and end what is currently only a farming simulator for the Gaming Elite.

The player base has dropped because there is no game combined with so many ways to exploit to pwn that anyone normal will be driven away, those that stay will do so for 3p33n reasons only. Implement MLG and at least have it badged for 9 stone albino nerds only so the rest of us know to avoid it.

Did I really read they have increased the cloak time of snipers by 2 seconds per level? Really, is that an attempt to get nubs in the door to pwn people with their 'you can't see me as I'm invizabell and I'm going to SMG you in the back'?

Way to take a direction for a game.
  19. SharpeShooter

hahaha PS1 failed? It ran from 2003 and there is still a server running! The only reason the game lost members was because of BFR. You don't have a clue what you're talking about! Furthermore, I proved to you that some stats are NOT better than no stats, that's a FACT! You can be ignorant if you like and scream "YES IT IS" but you're wrong. Like I said I'm not saying the game is not dying, but the things you are stating as facts are laughably wrong.
  20. Konfuzfanten

Yes and Warhammer Online still got 2 servers running, but i think you will have a hard time find anyone that think that WAR didnt fail. Server longevity =/= successful.

PS1 was a niche game, it had/has a very small and very dedicated fanboi group, but that is not what SOE is looking for, they want a successful MMO that can run for years with multiple servers and a constant/rising pop.

Im sure that SOE is looking to do the same with PS2, as they did/are doing with DCUO.