Question Re: Resources

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DeathTollDavid, Jul 12, 2013.

1. DeathTollDavid

This is my first leap to MMO. Why I have avoided them for so many years I dont know, I just have. I am curious if the game is supposed to revolve around capping territory in order to gain resources?

The reason I ask is I have never found myself without the necessary resources to spawn what I need or to equip anything I just used.

Maybe I am just playing with good teams or is the game really not centered around resources?

Any feedback is appreciated.
    • Up x 1
  2. Pumpkim

The only time you're struggling with resources is when the enemy has pushed you all the way to your warpgate. Which is when you should have more resources imo, since you're usually outnumbered.

Perhaps it would work better if you got resources (instead of xp) for capturing/defending bases. Also, the different resource types is a bit unnecessary if you ask me. They only make it difficult to use your favorite vehicle, and forces you to play roles you don't want.
  3. DeathTollDavid

But that to me is what resources are supposed to do. When I look at a territory I want to cap next and I need armor resources then I should chose the territory that gives you armor.

Right now I just cap whatever looks like the least resistance. I think resources are meant to drive strategy. They dont really seem to right now.
    • Up x 1
  4. KlyptoK

There are only 2 ways you will run out of resources:

1. You are dedicated or specialize in your role, so you use it frequently
    2. You are warpgated
    They definitely drive my strategy. I don't care at all about any other territory that isn't mechanized unless it's an alert.

Need armor support in Air Territory? Nope.
    • Up x 1
  5. ent|ty

Have you ever played deathmatch games? Or team deathmatch?

Well SOE took that model and made it open to over 100 players in an area, and not just 64 vs 64 like in other games.

If you enjoy running around with mass amounts of teammates, shooting the enemy in the back of the head, while they shoot you in the back of the head (traits of a true deathmatch game), you will enjoy PS2.

Plenty of spam (throwing nades, shooting tank rounds without an actual target) if you're into that.

Plenty of camping (sitting in one place waiting for enemy to come by, or mainly waiting for them to leave spawn) if you're into that.

Plenty of OHK weapons ( compounded by low TTK ), so that your experience is fast paced and frenzic, and may just amount to 2 people rolling the dice and holding down their mouse button which leads to...

Plenty of spray n pray (once frowned upon by FPSers) is now the norm. Point your gun, hold your mouse button down, and pray your one bullet hits the mark before your enemy does.

Rinse n repeat.
  6. Mr_Giggles

3. You suck at keeping anything alive
    4. You can't budget for **** (this usually applies to people to blow their wad on explosives to spam and then complain that they can't spawn a max)
  7. llPendragon

I think the worst part of having the 3 resources is the high skill floor of flying in PS2.
    Flying an ESF or Liberator in PS2 is completely skill based. You can't cert enough into either vehicle to offset how hard it is to fly. This makes a huge percentage of the population look at the air resources as worthless, or worse, actually detracting from their ability to use something they want/need/enjoy.

My suggestion: Allow us to transfer one resource type to another at a 50% rate.