[Suggestion] QoL: Basic Implants

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by EinPixel, Dec 11, 2017.

1. EinPixel

Hey guys.

I have a problem on my NC toon. I made all Directives for Implantpacks (only leadership left). But the only things I got are not realy optimal for my playstyle and classes (Stalker and HA). So I opened 3 Crates with ISO-4...

While I hoped for at least two of:
    • Regeneration (QoL Imp Nr. 1 for me)
    • Battle Hardened (feels like musthave for anyone in 1o1)
    • Assimilate (looks great... and works well on my TR guy...)
    • Catlike (one of two Implants that I would upgrade to maxium with no regret at all...)
    I got (EDIT: from all Packs, not ISO only):
    • Save Fall (Its ok for my Stalker, but I have no problems without it as well...)
    • Sweeper HUD (I Use it just for AI mines, but most of time it is not needed)
    • Sensor Shield (No need on my HA, he is not alone 99% of time, no need for if on my stalker at all...)
    • Carapacy (if I had the regen Imp... or would play medic it would be nice to have, but on its own it is not that usefull...)
    • Logistics (Sounds great... if I were a driver, but I do not drive...)
    • Ammo Imp... got it at least 3 times (I am ether in team or can hack terminals for ammo)
    • (EDIT2) Fisu said I forgot the Vampire Implant
    So while I had great "luck" and got two Exceptional Imps, I have no use for them...
    And while I hoped on some pretty common Imps, I got non of them...
    Bad luck happens. But what now? Implant packs are expensive. This punishes new players realy hard if they dont get their wanted "basic" implants with derective rewards...
    Some possible measures to counter the problem:
    1. Let us at break down Implants that we dont need, not dups only... (Simple QoL change...)
    2. Increase ISO amount for breaking down Implants (QoL again)
    3. Make a new cheap (50 cr or some dbc) create with one common non-duplicate implant inside (easier start for newbes)
    4. Restrict the Directive Implantpack (novice?) to common and uncommon only, but allow them no duplicates (great bad luck protection für new Chars...)
    5. Let us trade 3 (or 4) duplicates for one new basic crate... (kinda bad luck protection, ensuring progression)
    6. Let us earn 1 random (dups possible) Implant on daily (at least weekly) basis by doing 5 objective ribons...kinda like tripple XP alleady works... (my favorite part of it)
    7. Make dbc Implants account wide (my money -> your wallet)
    What I try to achieve with that changes:
    The Implant progression stopps for new player after the Directive-Crates unless the player plays winning side only. Beening loyalist and beening not able to "read the battle" just befor the Alert start(every new player is affected) is punishing and WTJ is rewarded... The Points 1. and 2. do not change this (and this is not the intendion), but they make the current system a bit less punishing for the losing side. Because they allow to build up a basic stock of implants without ISO Farming.

Points 3. and 4. aim on new toons. The changes should allow them to get the first stock of common implants to choose from.

At the moment I have no implants I want. I will buy 750 CR crate but if I dont get something I need, I have no Idea if I will continue to play... realy demoralizing to have so much RNG on so costly items... Points 5. and 6. would ensure some progression. I would simply play and hope for good luck on daily(weekly) basis...
    Point 7: No Idea how many people buy crates with DBC... I did it... once... with one ISO crate... was realy happy abount my Ammo Imp duplicate... will never do it again... unless I cound build up a stock of Imps for all my toons...
  2. Prudentia

wait how did you get 6 implants from 3 singleimplant boxes
  3. EinPixel

Well, kinda missleading. This are implants I got now. 5(?) Novice, 2 Basic(Basic Training and Xmas) and 3 ISO-4 packs...
    In the ISO-4 Packs were Carapace, Logistics and Ammo. The last one was an dup...
  4. Drsexxytime

I agree about DBG's Pay-2-Win Loot-boxes. They need to go. They have enough ways to monetize yet they do this on top of it.
  5. EinPixel

Well, I never told that the Implant Boxes are P2W... Implants offer huge QoL improvement. But none of them offers enough to be P2W. The only Implant, that comes close to it is Battle Hardened, as it improves your TTK at certain ranges... Maybe sweeper HUD... but I'm not a tanker, no Idea how much advantage it brings.
    The rest reduces your downtime, opens up new ways, catch up simple mistakes or makes a playstyle more fluid.

My Problem is, that implants offer realy important QoL improvements. They also offer realy great customization options... But a new player has only limited trys to get desired implants through directives.
    In case of bad luck there are only three possibilities: Play realy expensive roulette, make a new char or play with subpair implants. All of them are motivation killer. Yesterday I logged in, had a lot of luck, NC started a lockdown and won it. So I got 300 ISO... with my 200+ ISO left, I bought an other 500 ISO crate... got an duplicate of save fall...
    So I allready wasted 2000 ISO for this gambling, those ISO is giving a "lucky" player an Implant upgrade Rank 4 + 1/3 way to rang 5...

And how does an underpopulated, never winning VS feel?
  6. No0T

To get the basics just buy the 750 certs boxes... They will get you the basic you want in 3 tries top
    • Up x 1
  7. Ziggurat8

I want it all! I want it all! I want it all! And I want it now! -Queen

Planetside2 is an MMO. Like just about every other MMO you get out of it what you put into it. This game has the typical MMO grind. You can play for thousands of hours and still not unlock everything.
    http://ps4us.ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=ziggurat8&show=statistics 1600+ hours on that character, 345k certs and I haven't unlocked everything.

Implants are just another time/cert sink grind. I've yet to spend a dime on implants (I have spent lots of money, but mostly on things you can't buy with certs). As you said they're quality of life improvements, play style changes etc. If this were an RPG they would be talents you unlocked and upgraded. You don't need ISO specifically from Alert wins, you can buy the packs with certs too so you can conceivably unlock everything without ever earning ISO at all.

It's all part of the MMO. Keep you coming back with more stuff to unlock, more stuff to achieve. The endless MMO grind to keep advancing your character. You either like it or you don't. Personally I don't mind it. I like having stuff to work towards while enjoying awesome battles. The RNG might be a little too heavy handed and just having easier to collect implants with much steeper ISO upgrade costs could work too, but I kind of like the luck element. Big money big money big money!! Damn I lost again...maybe this time!

It's not that bad little dude. Just keep playing, killing, getting better every day, skill wise, character wise. It'll all come to you eventually if you keep plugging away. The journey is the fun part.
    • Up x 1
  8. EinPixel

Thanks for hint. Thats my plan. The "3 tries" part is what warries me. Thats 2250 CR. As a new player this is quite costly.
  9. EinPixel

Oh well here we go again...
    I dont want it all! I dont want it now! I dont want it all! I dont want it now! -EinPixel

• Playing for fun? -Basic condition to play a game.
    • Grinding for Gear? OK! Long term goals and motivation.
    • Grinding Skills? Nice! Char development is an integral part of this game.
    • Grinding for gambling that offers QoL? Not fun at all.
    Maybe here is the problem, you are such an experienced player that you simply lost the feel of a new player. Even if you start a new toon, your XP carries you.
    I know this too... I played EVE and WoW a long long time... got multiple millions of gold in WoW by simply playing monopoly in auction house... Preparing for raid? Well go to AH, buy 60 flasks for 100g each. But a casual player has to farm for ~two hours for 20 of them...
    Again. There is no problem to spend CR on progression or DBC on cosmetics/basic stuff, but stopping this progression just to gamble for quality of life? THATS my problem.
    I know how it works but there is a well done content grind, and a bad done destructive grind.
    I do. I simply show, how to improve QoL for a NEW PLAYER in a game that needs new player.

• Playing game and improve personal game skills and having fun is the premise to play the game
    • Improving the skills of a char with currency is good.
    • Improving the gear of a char with currency is good.
    • But stopping this progression in order toget a chance to get some quality of life is NOT good.

QoL is something that should not be gated behind the same currency as gear and Skills.
    And to gate QoL behind gambling is simply destructive.
    • Up x 2