[QOL] Ability to create open squads without inviting random people first.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kristan, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Kristan

It's been five years and I don't understand why this quality of life change wasn't implemented.

For example I want to create a squad of tank drivers and gunners or Liberator crew. Or just some casual squad that will follow the waypoint. Right now for that I have to invite some random dude next to me and pray for him not to leave my squad before I set the room name and for the first members to join.

All I wanna do is to create squad room first, set the name and wait for people to join. Isn't it that simple?
  2. PlanetBound

Used to work. You just invited yourself. Maybe people abused the squad beacon.
    • Up x 1
  3. FateJH

Instead of inviting someone random, why not find someone who wants to tank with you and then starting the squad with that person?
  4. adamts01

I'd love that. They'd just have to remove beacon ability and command chat till you actually had a member in your squad.
    • Up x 2
  5. Kristan

Wait... invite myself? I never heard of that.

So I must run around, PMing everyone around me or /yell around like an idiot in order to find a certain squadmate for a certain role? No, thanks, I find it ridiculous. I'd rather have an open room for everyone to see in squad list that works across all continents so they might join if they like the idea.
  6. FateJH

I was actually banking on you having friends ...
    • Up x 2
  7. Kristan

... excuse me, but what are those?
    • Up x 1
  8. adamts01

Maybe they're DBC only?..... Definitely pay to win.
    • Up x 1
  9. typnct

its a really really great idea - you dont need to get random people and you can form squads allot faster although it shouldnt be possible to make 1 guy squad with a spawn beacon only from 2 or more people to make one

this will affect the game possitively as you would be able to form vehicle, air, ground squads without inviting alot of randoms that may be uninterested in that
  10. Who Garou

I think this is pretty much biggest reason.

Imagine and outfit moves in with a half dozen or more platoons of 1 man squads and starts putting spawn beacons all over the place.
    I guess you can still technically do that sort of thing once a platoon is formed.
  11. JibbaJabba

Reasons:
    Solo squad beacon abuse. Imagine 30 beacons up at a tech plant.
    Squad / Platoon picker would be flooded with 1 man squads.
  12. Kristan

Fixable.

Not a real reason since there are filters.
  13. JibbaJabba

Fair enough, how?

Mmm, it's a real reason :)
    If you have the usual 1-10 in the existing picker, then add 50+ solo squads it will be a mess. You can do a sort by member count, but then you might make the single member delta squad in a 37 man platoon disappear off into scroll land. This could be solved by a more robust filtering system. But really why make a solution to a mess when you could just not have the mess to begin with?
  14. Kristan

Allow use of squad beacon only when squad reaches 3 players.

I don't think it's going to be that bad. Not so many people wish to be quad leaders. Ask anybody in your squad "who wants to be a squad leader". At most of times you'll hear silence.

Even if that will mess up squad searching system it's what I can get over with. I'd rather give opportunity to it, rather than not and keep pushing players doing it in uncomfortable ways for themselves and other players by spamming squad invitations on everyone you see.