Put FULL revamp of construction on the build list please

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OgreMarkX, Feb 18, 2020.

1. OgreMarkX

Construction in PS2 has been, and continues to be, one of the worst game design aspects I've ever experienced.

It could have been a huge addition.

Please consider:

1. Time needed to mine cortium
    2. Time needed to build
    3. Vulnerability during and after a build (Have a dev actually, ya know, BUILD a base and watch how fast it gets nuked--to give RPG a real taste for the other 2/3'rds of the game, don't let that dev play a VS infil or LA when he builds)
    4. Mechanics of placement and no deploy zones (another one of gaming laziest designs is PS2 no-deploy zones)
    5. Purpose on the battlefield
    6. When redesigning construction, do not follow the path of developer as central planner---redesign by providing tools to players and OPENING up options.

The last dev stream with the deployable shield and dropped vehicles is a good start. Expand on that.
    • Up x 3
  2. iller

Don't forget: AV turrets desperately need to be given SOME KIND of resistance to HESH / AP shells as well as Harrasser top guns.
    ...this could be a Trade-off for making them have less Resistance to infantry launchers and ALL Aircraft weapons.
  3. Zakh

Things I've wanted to see implemented or ideas I've had.

- A hexagonal or dome-like structure, similar to the garage, for the purpose of housing modules. In the center of the building would be a place for a pain spire. Around it would be 4 places for either modules or a spawn tube. If a shield module was active, the building would have a shield gate just like the garage does, but with only one entrance as to protect the spawn. The garage could now be used for its original intended purpose alongside the Reinforcements module.

- Walls should snap together as well as have proper points to be snapped against bunkers and towers without leaving a gap for infantry. The snap should have a toggle, in case the builder wants to leave a gap intentionally.

- Introduce a 2-story rampart wall and solid wall.

- Increase base turret health pool or tweak the AI again. AP turrets are almost useless now.

- Implement some geographic changes to certain areas on the continents to allow for more uniform base building in certain areas. Make strategic choke points along roadways by adding flat ground. The split in the road at Galaxy Solar, or behind Ceres Hydroponics, for instance. Or flatten out just about any of the plateaus and mountains on Hossin to allow for more precise building. There are some areas of the map that us builders love more than others. Make the placement of bases relevant by giving us a place to build well-defended bases, or roadblocks.

- Slightly decrease pain spare no build radius by 10 meters.

- Enlarge blast walls to be able to allow them to fill gaps in geography when walls are built scaling up a hill and get rid of the stairways. Allow the builder access to 4 blast walls instead of 2.

I'm sure I can think of more...
  4. then00b

Well it has been revamped a few times I think, not sure they should commit to anything until they have a solid idea of something they can get behind for a good while.
    • Up x 1
  5. BamaRage

Or better yet, delete construction and refund our money.
    • Up x 3
  6. Riekopo

I support all of these ideas.
  7. Hereyagoboom

Free up the flail and buff the walls and I'll be happy. Personally I hate the OS, wouldn't mind seeing it go for the tkers
  8. TRspy007

Honestly just remove construction, it's not used for anything more than trolling, or pathetic attempts of using tactics against your faction's will to remain as effective and uncoordinated as possible.

No one even knows what construction should be for now, and not many people are interested in it. I'd ask for Oshur and continent revamps to actually make fights interesting and refreshed. Finish a proper lattice system first, put some lore, and then, once the game is in a decent state and can actually bring the nice fights people are looking for, maybe bring back construction.

Construction was never anything other than a failed gimmick, which never had a purpose other than to generate a week of hype. The devs clearly have other priorities, and never managed to do anything concrete to construction in the few years it has existed. I'm even surprised they kept it in the game for so long, considering it brings nothing to the game.

I'd say remove it for now and focus on making the best fights possible, streamlining battle flow, revamping continents and bases, adding faction specific reskins to vehicles. Once the game is doing great, the devs can focus about additional things like construction. But it should not be their next priority.
  9. Blam320

I would like to see the entry barrier for construction lowered, as well as the ability for construction bases to more quickly adapt to changes in the flow of battle.

For example, if a base is built close to a battle at first, but now the fight is out of range of your Orbital Strike (or the fight has died), it would make sense for the base builders to be able to pack somethings up and salvage some of the Cortium they put in, so they can rebuild elsewhere for maximum impact.
  10. karlooo

I was always for removing and refunding construction but I just don't think the devs would want to do that. Like they should, it's their ****** fault.
    There is no future for construction in PS2.