Pumpkins: An MMO Need Not Be An MMOu

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by 000AmidimA000, Oct 10, 2015.

1. 000AmidimA000

Just because this game is an MMOFPS, doesn't mean you have to add the worst part of other MMOS to it to make me feel like it is indeed an MMO.

I completed the pumpkin kills for the last tier of the Halloween event. I wish that was all that I had to do, because I'm so tired of pulling ESFs and Harassers and going out to hunt them, only to get shot down or blown up minutes later because you pretty much are required to hunt in enemy territory to find enough pumpkins. After completing all the tiers, I'm at 1,000 seeds, and need 1,400 minimum to purchase two more masks to get that directive completed as well. Ugh, that means after all that time and effort I'm only about 2/3 of the way done with my pumpkin searching. I've woken up early every morning this week to play during off hours so I can pumpkin hunt.

You added collection missions to your game. That is sick and sadistic. Nobody likes grindy collection missions in MMOs. No... make this madness stop. I guess I should feel lucky that I'm not turning my pumpkin seeds in to an NPC at the warpgate that repeats the same annoying phrase 20 times a minute.

I miss the first time you did this with snowmen. That feeling of elation I got when I FINALLY found that stupid gold snowman and got the the vehicle hood ornament for doing it. I still use that hood ornament, it's amazing and I love it. Now I have to kill the equivalent of that snowman 6 times. 6 times! And for what... a knife? A mask I can't use beyond the month of october? No... NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. Make this worthless grinding stop... make it stop please.

At least increase the number of pumpkins per continent. Or increase their worth. Something... anything. The required amount of pumpkin grinding is beyond normal levels of rediculousness. Let Everquest be Everquest... but please keep Everquest out of Planetside 2.
    • Up x 2
  2. Thardus

Have you tried... not, hunting pumpkins?
    • Up x 7
  3. 000AmidimA000

I want to complete the event directive because if I don't this year I probably won't be able to next year because DBG will have smashed the game to smithereens with the bad decision hammer they've been waving around like it's a wand and they're RPing as Harry Potter.
  4. MasterOhh

Thardus, you should understand, there are 4 important things a man has to accomplish in his life.
    1. Build a house
    2. Become a father
    3. Plant a tree
    4. Finish that pumpkin directive in PS2
    • Up x 14
  5. Iridar51

Wouldn't it be easier to get candy cannon kills? Just play as stalker infil and shoot people in the back of the head. Surely more engaging than pumpkin hunt.
    • Up x 1
  6. 000AmidimA000

All ready finished. It's either knife kills, which I do not want to put 1000 certs in to, or finish off the masks which requires more seeds than the pumpkin killing directive gives you: Hence the rant.
  7. Iridar51

Omg. All of this because of 1000 certs? You can that in just a few days by playing normally. Surely more fun than grinding pumpkins =\
    • Up x 3
  8. 000AmidimA000

Yeah, I'm not going to put 1000 certs in to a knife when I'm going to get rewarded with a knife. That's so utterly pointless. Whoever planned out the event this year must have been high on pumpkin spice.
  9. Lemposs

So the game shouldn't have this, so you don't do all the things you did? I am confused...
  10. CMDante

Pumpkin hunting is fun, and a good way to get comfortable-ish flying an ESF.
  11. Scr1nRusher

Welcome to Forumside aka the Chaos Warp.

You'll find the refreshments down the hall past the skull throne on your left.
    • Up x 2
  12. Cynicismic

Surely, to get to the refreshment hall, you have to pass the fountains of tears first?
    :p

@OP, I've found that not searching for pumpkins actively yields better results than actually purposefully trying to find them. It's much nicer when you're trundling along and you see an orange blob a few hundred yards away, then shoot it and gain some juicy experience and a handful of seeds, rather than spending hours wasting your life trying to find them. Play the game as normal, and if you come across any pumpkins, then it's your lucky day! Searching for them evidently is not making you happy, and no matter how much self-convincing you may choose to inflict upon yourself, I can tell you that this is true, (even if DBG will have sunk this game in a year's time - I wouldn't bother if it isn't making you happy).

Seriously, I wouldn't bother. I'm not, and look at me! *Waddles off happily with stronk 112 pumpkin seeds, (all I've found so far)*
    :D
    • Up x 2
  13. Devilllike

D
    If you cant do it and feel frustrated then dont! nobody forced you to do it jeez
    • Up x 1
  14. Scr1nRusher

Thats if you enter through the elevator entrance.
    • Up x 1
  15. 000AmidimA000

Ok, so apparently I was wrong. I hope next year they raise it to 30,000 seeds to get a single mask. That'd be 7,500 pumpkins give or take. Since all of you apparently love the grind so much or are so put off by it you don't want to try, then raising it to 7,500 shouldn't be a problem.
  16. Scr1nRusher

https://github.com/ief015/PS2-Mapper/wiki
  17. Pelojian

last year we had pumpkin alerts to make more spawn and spawn times decreased, now they only seem to show up around contested areas. this year is just a money grab more then last year.

last year was better, more pumpkins, reasonable seed costs for masks.
    • Up x 1
  18. Goretzu

No you're absolutely right hunting pumkins is horrible.

The snowman event was ok (last year anyway) because it was much better balanced for completing if you played relatively normally, the Halloween event was bad enough last year and they have made it longer this year.
  19. DeadlyPeanutt

OP, if you react that way to pumpkin directives, stay away from coke and booze :)

(when i read this, i was like.... there's a pumpkin directive?)
  20. 000AmidimA000

I don't understand why the only people inputting feedback here are the ones who have deciced not to try and fulfill the directive. Excuse me for being thought insane to make the attempt and giving feedback on the process. I desired to complete the directive before I ever found out how unreasonable it actually is.

The thing is, the steps up the directive ladder weren't so unreasonable. I got tricked in to wishing for completion. Before I knew it they wanted me to be up to my neck in pumpkin hunting, or shelling out 2,000 certs for items that disappear at the end of October. 2,000 certs is pretty much 2 to 3 weeks of playing for at least 2 to 3 hours each day (I don't have membership because I will not give DBG a dime until they get their act together). I would much rather upgrade something I'll be using year round with those certs, and try to complete the directive with the seed currency I'd built up along the way that will too be useless soon.

I'm sort of pissed they got me invested without telling me the stakes. They told me there was a title involved, and a special knife. Ok sure... I'm game. They told me first to take a step, then next to climb a hill. When I crested that hill, I found they had set Everest before me. There was no warning, there was just but Everest. I was up a step, and up a hill, so I thought I might as well continue on. Now that I have reached the top of Everest, I see beyond that an even higher pinnacle set before me. I completed the pumpkin farming. I have found the galactic pumpkin 5 times. They ask me to go higher, and why? Because masks costs are unreasonable. Excuse me for being angry that I have climbed all this way to find the finish line still farther. They required me to spend 1000 certs to get one god awful weapon, and I refuse out of principle for them to troll me in to spending another 1,000. I will not be robbed of my certs because DBG somehow thinks if they rob enough from me I'll go pay real money to regain them. I will not be bullyed out my certs by making the alternative an obnoxiously long grind either.

All I'm trying to say is this. I just want to go shoot things. That's what this game is. I just want to run and gun and have a good time blowing things up. If I get titles along the way, awesome. But please don't lead me off that beaten path. If you do lead me off the beaten path, I really don't mind, it's refreshing every now and then doing a bit of something different. But around mile marker 131 off the beaten path, I've found I'm far from where I started and I just want to stop. Yet that finish line is so close... and yet so far. This is the same formula they use for other MMOs to make it addicting. Start small, go a little bigger, go a little bigger, BOOM you're in too deep and it takes months to reach the next tier, but you all ready have some of what it takes to get there so you feel obliged to keep going. I can do tier grinding with weapons because I'm doing it anyway... but pumpkin hunting is a different matter entirely.

I just want to make my voice heard now during this event. I just want to voice an objection to the way things have progressed with the holiday events. I do this in hopes that somebody will see this and take note of it and we will get something better for the december event. All of you who are clearly skipping out on this event will go on to skip the next one. But why? Why would you skip out on an event when you can ask for it to be more enjoyable? Then we all can participate, maybe do a little something extra, get something cool for our participation, feel good about having participated, and continue on with the status quo.