PS2 tech is inferior to WW2's one

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zak Preston, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Zak Preston

Yes, sure! The scale, overall performance and balance are what holding PS2 warfare from being more or less "modern":
    Unfortunately, ether performance issues, neither scale won't allow to implement anything like modern artillery, real aircrafts (witm M2 speeds), but what holds devs from making personal weaponry from being at least on par with modern guns? Why not balance game around strategic usage of aircrafts, armor recon vehicles? Why not allow more fancy things that every man loves on his big smoking gun? You want tactical diversity, not artificial limitations.

It's just seems stupid that you can pun only up to 4x scope on Ghost rifle and you can't put 1-4 scopes on Parallax rifle. Why can't I put x12 scope on my SMG? It's my problem that enemy will get a lot of frags for free, not theirs =)))
  2. BengalTiger

RE: Airplanes.

It takes a couple minutes to fly across a continent diagonally.
    Find a modern VTOL airplane which can make it from Alaska to the Panama Canal in as long as it takes to go get a glass of water.

RE: Infantry combat.

Everyone once declared dead can be revived in moments and within seconds have no trace of their former injuries or wounds.

RE: Tanks.

Heavily armored beasts able to shrug off plentiful rockets, with guns and ammo strong enough to defeat said heavy armor.
    They explode when hit by 2 portable general purpose explosive devices, find a real tank that does this.
    • Up x 2
  3. Zak Preston

air combat: How does it justify slow-paced WW1 aircombat in XXX century?
    infantry: How does it justify completely outdated weapons with really outdated tech parameters (muzzle velocity, recoil, magazine capacity and attachments)?
    tanks: I have not much complaints about tanks except the fact they seem to be on par with WW2 counterparts in terms of speed and maneurability (Magrider is a good exception), but generally speaking, most Soviet (that means really outdated) military cargo vehicles can ride with 120 km\h speed easily.
  4. Sielgaudys

Game, hardware limitations and balance.
  5. Dethfield

PS2 tanks actually lack many things that were fairly common even in WW2. Coaxial and cupola machine guns, proper range-finding equipment and range adjustments, the ability to hold different types of ammunition for the main gun.....

There really is no point in comparing PS2 to reality because the devs never really cared and never designed the game with that in mind. The magrider itself is a floating design flaw with its lack of turret.
    • Up x 2
  6. Acceleratio

Im with you :)
  7. Zak Preston

Oh, thanks for reminding about rangefinders and different types of ammunition.
    PS2 has a potential to become a good sim, which would never happen, but at least some realism could be added to bring much needed fresh air.
    • Up x 1
  8. CNR4806

On a good road. Wheeled-vehicles are rather notorious for having a massive chunk of their top speed chopped off when it goes off road or really, run on any surface less desirable than perfectly-paved asphalt.

Modern tanks generally float around the 50~70km/h range on roads and roughly a bit more than half of that cross-country, not too far from what PS2 has to offer. (Until you factor in the little problem where one PS2 meter is shorter than one metric meter)
    • Up x 2
  9. tf2hero

how i missed the original days of cod/ medal of honor (mostly European assault)
  10. Kunavi

I'm no maths, physics or anything expert but I think PS2's tech is on par with what we have now? At least when it comes to weapons, because we certainly can't clone people(Going by what's accepted widely) yet, nor can we port from one place to another. And we have no budget Falcon Grav Tanks.

I mean, starting with a person's running speed we can calculate gravity and then stuff, then potato and the results are that PS2's weapons would rip your arms off on Earth. But yeah, firing the Gauss SAW on Auraxis is about the same as firing a current LMG on Earth? I think? But the Gauss on Earth would, as said, tear your arm off.

I'm not going to argue why a coil weapon has RECOIL or why Plasma continues to be as dangerous as an ordinary bullet even when shields are depleted, just going with it.

I am drunk and I was drunk when I pondered over this a month ago, despite not being an alcoholic in case any of you worry... ;O Hahaha! But yeah, sorry if I have things totally wrong, just offering my opinion on whether or not WW2 oldies are better than PS2's junk. That's all, nothing more. I could be wrong.

I remember deducing that since we are Super-Soldiers in fact, our guys would not get their arms ripped off on Earth if they fired their weapons. I think I did not include the possibility of much lighter materials(Nanites) which is a problem... LOL! But even then, there'd be other problems.

You know what, just go with it, just let PS2 be in this case! :p

I mean... VS have PLASMA CANNONS and TR have... Pieces of wood on their weapons. No really. At least it looks like wooden grips to me and I WISH SOE WOULD JUST REMOVE THEM but that's another story.
  11. Alarox

Realism doesn't necessarily make good gameplay.
    • Up x 3
  12. K2k4

We are playing as nanite soldiers who are controlled by a being hooked up to a machine in space above the planet. Because everything our characters have are also made of nanite projections, the normal laws of physics may not apply. If there is a limit to the speed at whicha nanite protection can be transmitted this could account for the reduced speeds that the nanite bullets can travel in comparison to regular bullets. The nanite projections which make up or characters need to maintain a connection to the ship where our character's actual body is located. My guess is that the bullets and explosions in planetside are intended to disrupt the avatar's connection and render that avatar inert. Without a command, the avatar deconstructs after a few seconds and no body remains.

The entire battle for auraxis is being fought without the loss of any human lives. The lore of the game supports this notion since the colonization effort was for a small group of remaining humans and the war has allegedly continued for 500 years now. In a modern war the entire populace would have been destroyed well before the first years were over. Losses like ww2 saw would have eliminated the earth's populace a thousand times over by now.
    • Up x 1
  13. Cest7

Interesting perspective... Although there are no respawns IRL...
  14. Crayv

In my experiance, when someone says something should be some way because of realism it generally translates to "I want this to game mechanic to work this way for my own advantage but I can't think of a good game play reason for it to" and only want certain things to be realistic.

In games there are many factors that are not, should not, and simply cannot be included in the game. For example, you don't really have a war budget that will limit what is on the field (you can't all have your own personal tank). You can't really have things that would impact a battle/war that we typically take for granted (like fuel).

Realistically an ESF could potentially be brought down by just a couple of bullets (all it takes is one to take out any number of vital systems and that aircraft is gone). Realistically an aircraft would never have more armor than a tank. Realistically a bullet grazing your ear doesn't do more damage that a shot to the chest. Realistically a tank cost way more than the cost of 9 ATVs. I could go on but you get the idea.
  15. Thornefear

Which is why infiltrators with shotguns were removed from the game..

Yet they have OHK knives now meaning they can hit you (cause clientside) and kill you before you have any chance to see them. It's like the infiltrators who stand in front of you cloaked, aim at your head, uncloak empty clip. You DON'T get to respond, because before they uncloak on your screen you are already dead.

It's blatant abuse, but actively encouraged.

AT LEAST it's less effective now that infilitrator cloaks show up evenly across all spec (something I've heard people ***** about a lot, wonder why.....)

It would be nice to NOT have things that can kill you without you having any option to do anything about it. BUT saying that the field isn't full of them is a bit like you seem to be unaware of those many options.
    • Up x 1
  16. nehylen

At least we do have much better logistics in PS2! The Wehrmacht still heavily used horse carriages. The weapons booths in PS2 are a significant improvement.

As for ESFs, it's not necessarily great to compare them with Hawker Hurricanes or BF109s which were mostly interceptors good at dogfights. The Junkers Stuka (dive bomber) would probably be a better comparison, an aicraft which was super slow and easily intercepted.
  17. vanu123

In WW2 you could also 1 shot every infantry soldier (or nearly), grenades had massive blast radii, the hit detection was great, and the graphics were amazing, but the shermans were weak and the Tigers and Panthers were OP but cost to much.
    • Up x 2
  18. Dieter Perras

Real life war is not exactly fun....
  19. Varonth

Muzzle Velocity isn't the only contributing factor in terms of skill needed.
    Those weapons don't have a low TTK, as they don't have a RPM of a few hundred.

I would say that the Shock Rifle from UT2k4 requires more skill than weapons in PS2. And the primary attack of the Shock Rifle is hitscan. It fires slowly and a single primary shot deals 45 damage per hit of up to a potentional 350 health.
    RPM is ~94.

The general gun design of PS2 is obviously made to appeal to two groups:
    • Console players
    • CoD/Battlefield players
    So few weapons actually behave differently. And alot of those different weapon aren't as effective as plain high firerate rifle types. And the main reason for this is low TTK.

Low TTK gives Planetside 2 more problems than just this one though.
    But I doubt SOE will realise that their current design isn't exactly good.
  20. Elrobochanco

I would argue that the skill of the shock rifle had nothing to do with it's hitscan nature, it was the multitude of ways you could use it, and the combo you could perform as an offensive or defensive maneuver.

But yes I would kill for a larger variety in weapons. Bullets and rockets and not a lot else gets pretty boring. Using the UT or Tribes comparisons, VS should get something like the link gun and shock rifle. NC should get some kind of combo grenade/shotgun like the flak launcher, or a heavy mortar like tribes (including the different fusing depending on impacts). TR I have no idea, maybe a bullet gun with limited seeking on the rounds after a tracer has been fired, a bit like the one in fifth element.

I wish the game pushed the sci-fi factor by a lot more, and that they gave faction unique weapons to more classes than the HA.