PS2 and VGA passthrough from Linux host

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Xuare, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Xuare

Greetings all. I'm trying to determine if anyone else is playing PS2 this way. I am using Vista as a guest and I have a weird issue with PS2.

While playing, my client seems to lose sync with the server. This is the progression:

1) Log in (empire doesn't matter)
    2) Play is normal
    ~5 min
    3) Hostiles seem to "respond slower" to my presence. Also, vehicles start moving stuttery every now and then
    ~5-10 min
    4) People act like I'm not there. I can shoot them and usually, but not always, it registers as a hit. They do the "i'm hit" animation but the hit graphic / sound doesn't play when the hit isn't registered.
    Vehicles aren't maintaining integrity (for instance, sometimes a Valk body will fly and the wings will move independently of the body. Also, vehicles are sometimes acting like they going over a ledge rather than moving on flat land.
    ~10 min
    5) Everything is desynced. I can't shoot people as they are appearing and disappearing all over the place, including through the air, ground, and through walls. It's similar to when you have a bad connection, except the latency is good and they aren't moving smoothly (teleporting around rather than moving in a straight line). They don't seem to notice me until 3 second later or more. If I hold still for 3-5 seconds they can hit me. If I shoot them they do the hit animation but hits are rarely registered.
    Vehicles are are also beaming about and they are tumbling / falling (sometimes upward), and the parts of the vehicles move independently of each other (Tanks and their turrets, planes and their wings, etc.). It's like the passenger section of the vehicle moved and then PhysX made the other parts of the vehicle's 3D model move later as a result of them not being processed.

This reminds me of the bug/feature in Planetside 1 when multi-core CPU's came out. If you were running Windows2000 or earlier everything sped up unless you set the core affinity to 1 or were using XP. This errata however is less useful than the PS1 issue to people who may try to implement it as a cheat as the lifetime of usefulness for that purpose is short, timing is random, and it can't be flipped on and off (that I know of) like the processor affinity on PS1.

The effect has been persistent across both using 2 and 3 virtual CPU's via qemu-kvm (Proc is 4 core i5-4790K). Network and disk is done via virtio (virtio-scsi w/ direct drive access to the windows installation). PS2 lists the connection as good, as I live within 50 miles of the McLean / Loudon server farm (Emerald). The VGA card is a Geforce 760GTX. System memory is 16GB, with the VM splitting the memory evenly

The exact same disk I use to boot the VM I can reboot into directly (i.e. no visualization) and it has no problems. Since the configuration is exactly the same with the exception of being virtualized or not, it should be easy to troubleshoot, but unfortunately it hasn't been...

As I am confident this setup does not represent a significant number of users, I don't think SOE will be willing to investigate. I am curious if anyone else has encountered this or similar, as I do believe there are a couple others that run vgapassthrough based on responses in the PS2 on WINE thread. If any of you have thoughts / experiences with issues like this, I'd like to know if you do and what you've tried to combat the issue

Thank you for your time!
  2. Xuare

I think I have it fixed using "-rtc driftfix=slew" qemu option (needs more testing). I also set up NTP on the guest and host--both hit the router and am running qemu with -no-hetp -no-acpi and with clock=vm under rtc.
  3. Smagjus

I have been passively reading here yet. I was looking for a solution for GPU passthrough under Windows and also read the name qemu in the process. Would you expect qemu to function as good under Windows?
  4. user101

PS2 can not be run under a Linux system of any kind...
    No - you can not run PS2 on a virtual drive of any kind either or SOE will ban you... !
    Got to be real DSL and a Real PC running Real windows & SATA drives....... not some messed up system...!
  5. Xuare

6. Xuare

Not true. I ran PS1 on Linux using WINE for years and PS2 will run on Linux under WINE as well (both are only DX9). There were some patches applied to fix some issue WINE was having with PS2's raw input of mouse events that apparently make the game work near flawlessly (produced after I made my current setup operational).

SOE will not ban you unless your doing something that disrupts the community or violates the TOS. Finding a different way to play the game that does not disrupt these things creates additional revenue streams. As for what the Smagjus asked, it isn't as good as native, but you can get it close. I would say I run about 85% of native speed with 3 cores and 8G memory allocated to the VM. Other claim better, and there are some things I could do to better isolate Linux processes from running on cores used be qemu (Windows). PS2 claims the limiter is the CPU, not graphics (running an i5-4690K: the only i5 unlocked processor that supports full VT-d).

If you want to pursue this mode of virtualization, your hardware needs to be VT-d (Intel, not VT-x) or IOMMU (AMD) compliant. Also know that GeForce cards limit you to using qemu-kvm as the hypervisor, and that you will need a second graphics chipset for the host as you can't currently tell the host to drop a PCIe card and then pass it through raw to the guest. Google VGA Passthrough to find a number of tutorials on how to do it.
  7. Lord_Mogul

It is really easy:

Though Windows emulation is not clearly stated, best is to wait for someone of SOE to answer, if that is also prohibited.

Besides that, the recent connection problem expresses itself similar to your connection problems. So it may be not an issue on your side.
  8. Xuare

By windows client, I assume they mean the Planetside2 executable, data files, and LaunchPad (i.e. anything copyrighted by SOE / Daystar). In none of the instances above were those files touched (either on disk or in memory after loading)
  9. -SXX-

Sorry for bumping old topic, but I just decide left my 2c there. Personally I had issue like that, but only when played on Windows 7 VM while with Windows 8.1 there is no network issues at all.

BTW my configuration for multi-seat system with two VMs where each can run instance of PS2:
    https://gist.github.com/ArseniyShestakov/dc152d080c65ebaa6781
    Works great to play with friends.