Problem regarding user.ini changes

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by iPlague, Sep 25, 2013.

1. iPlague

Whenever I attempt to change specific changes in the user options notepad file regarding well, lower graphics for a better framerate, a few options are always returned to normal as I attempt to enter the game.

An example would be me listing them the value as 1 and when launching it would be edited to 3 afterwards.
    Does anything have a fix for this, or know of a way around.
  2. psyshow

Hi iPlague. Have you tried right clicking on the userOptions.ini file and deselecting 'Read-only' ? If this is already un-checked, what you could try is modifying the userOptions.ini to your desired settings, save it, then right click and set Attributes to 'Read-only'. This might stop it from over writing the file when planetside loads. The only other thing i could suggest is check the parameter's you're putting in. I'm yet to come across anything official from SOE that states these settings X,Y or Z range from 1-4 etc (i would love to know what they have on record for Ultra - there's just so many un-official stories that dictate each other that I find it impossible to know what is 'True Ultra').

Hope that's helped in someway :)
  3. Wecomeinpeace

Yepp, another great showcasing of the programming "skills" behind this game. Allthough i gotta admit this is a more common issue as i had it happen with a handful of other games too.

Editing your ini and then setting it to "read only" worked for me.
  4. CzechErface

Just because you set it to read-only does not mean that the game is using the values you specify. As a developer it is important to write error-correcting code for things like configuration files when they become corrupt or are modified with invalid values. This is not necessarily an example of bad programming "skills", but your reaction could be indicative of a lack of understanding software development.
  5. vulcan78

Yeah I too experienced this and the solution is to change it to "read only" after editing it as the game seems to return whatever changes you made to the previous configuration in-game. If you need to make changes again, just temporarily switch it back to "read and write" and then "read only" once again when finished.
  6. iPlague

It did, somewhat, it might also be the winbot that steam has that changes the files which I didn't let this time, regardless it worked and I thank you, I feel silly for not setting it to read only before, thanks.