Pro Nanoweave

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Drasilov, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Caserion

I never have the problem as sniper (when i play them) not one shotting people, why? Because people with NW 3/4/5 usually know how to play the game, stay inside and never stand still.

New players on the other hand... are stationary.
  2. MonnyMoony

A similar counter argument exists from the snipers side though.......1000 certs on a BA rifle (plus extras for the 12x scope etc) - and I can't even OHK with a skillful headshot?

IMO - nanowave should only offer a small bonus protection for head shots, perhaps offering OHK protections for the lower grade sniper rifles - but the top sniper rifles should always be able to OHK normal infantry with a head shot regardless of the nanoweave rating.

That said - its still possible to OHK most players - since relatively few are running round with full health all of the time anyway - especially in large pitched battles. Even the ones you dont OHK - you often get an assist a few seconds after hitting them.
  3. Goolloom

That would be gamebreaking. Sniper round to the face at point blank range? NOPE! run away heal yourself, etc... That would make everyone that carries at least one health kit and medics invincible
  4. McToast

Moin

I can understand that in a game with such a high TTK like in PS2 one hit sniper kills can be very frustrating for the "average joe".

I was killed by bolt action headshots ~5x since january. And I always deserved it. Since I own my LA80 (bought it before the t3 rifles came out) I have NEVER been OHK by a sniper while countersniping. Not only once. And I've OHK hundreds of snipers. In fact I prioritise infiltrators, because they don't survive a headshot most of the time. Me neither, I run with ammo belt, but nontheless I've never been killed by a sniper while playing infiltrator. If you got oneshot 10-15 times in one session something tells me that you're not moving enough. But you should indeed try harder and use a BASR, you may come to the point where you only rarely get headshot but receive a "pling" 50% of the time you shoot somebody in the head. It's so damn frustrating to hit a moving target @ 100-150m just for that "****-you-sniper-i've-got-nanoweave-pling". Did you now that the T2 and T3 BASRs also cost 1000 certs?

Reduce NW bonus to 125 HP @ level 5 (like it was at release). Increase minimum damage of BASR to 575 or at least increase the range where minimum damage is hit to ~150-200m.

Grüße,
    regards,
    the Toast
    • Up x 1
  5. Izriul

I think NW was fine, is fine and will continue to be fine.

I never bothered with flak even on release, everyone ranted how great it was (and probably was due to all the HE spam) and now that got nerfed people switch to NW and suddenly people want to cry about that too. It's pathetic.

Let's say NW did get nerfed, then the babies will just come whining about something else until that get's nerfed.

NW is fine, it's available to EVERYONE, there's no disadvantage to it, and if "snipers" want to sit back on a cliff a mile away hiding away from the action, then they should have to deal with the consequences. It doesn't stop OHK's from a decen't distance away, only from a bush wookie distance, so why reward that? After all, there's a reason the class is called infiltrator and not sniper.

If you get the jump on someone, shoot them and they turn around and kill you, it's NOT nanoweave that did that, it's you. Plain and simple. People just make excuses on every little thing they can, rather than admit the truth that, perhaps, their not as good as they think they are.

OHK's are cheap, lame and aren't skillful. Any argument against realism is ridiculous since even with HE's you don't get OHK anymore unless it's a direct hit. Realism should always be second nature to balance in a computer game, and those who put the effort in should always be rewarded over those who don't (I.E - hiding out of combat miles away OHK'ing people who's actually on the front line, doing something)
  6. LowTechKiller

Nah...I actually like it when I get OHK'd by snipers. It usually surprises the hell out of me, and reminds me that I should have looked around that corner before just walking into a building like I owned it.

I play heavy mostly, and if a sniper gets close enough to me to head-shot me to death, good for you.

I get one-shot much more often by shotguns and grenade launchers, but they're bad-***** weapons so that's kind-of expected. My job as a Heavy is to take you guys out at distances that neutralize these weapons' OHK abilities.
    • Up x 1
  7. The King

Ehh, the thing is, people aren't hiding out miles away in a bush.... It happens at close range.
    If you actually used the infiltrator, you would know this, and if you do, then why are you spreading lies?
    It's not people making excuses, that's just what is really happening. I got headshotted and I can still kill the person who isn't far with my TMG50 I get headshotted a lot when I am using my strikers, I'm still living.. They have to be much closer than that.
    • Up x 2
  8. Drasilov

Those are interesting - all I know is even with NW3 I die just as often to one shots as I did with no nanoweave at all. Could be Snipers are no longer staying at range (can be boring) and are mucking in by stealthing closer to the battle and closing down the range (not being an infil player I'm not in with the tactics). In my experience I've managed just a handful of headshots OHK's at a range I would class as being an actual "sniper" rather than someone who is close to the battle.

The problem is - with absolutely no visual cues as to where you have been shot from or distance information, to a non infil it seems every shot received is an instant death shot. Certainly to my HA - I have to move slowly when aiming my RL to lock it on so I get one shot all the time. In a typical night, maybe 10 times. Especially when using my Grounder as it very hard to keep a fast moving target like an ESF in your aiming reticle for the 3 or so seconds to lock on as well as move - and you move very slowly doing this. I have pretty low fps as well which doesn't help.
  9. PWGuy93

When I play Infiltrator I don't expect one hit kills, I equip a semi auto for that reason.
    Nanoweave does what it is supposed to do, prevent long and most medium range one hit kills, if close forgot it, your toast.
    It supports a style of play. If infiltrators want to risk being close enough for a one hit kill, they have the option and risk as reward.
    They won't be there long though because getting that close means sure death from others who saw the tracer.
    Nanoweave - Working as intended...
  10. Izriul

Only, they do OHK at close range. It's somewhere between 60-80m, I can't remember the exact number and can't be arsed to research it but I think it's 75m which is a fairly respectable range. So, everything I said still stands.
  11. Peebuddy

It's subtle. But this is also a whine how there is no kill cam. CoD kids should not be playing this game
    • Up x 2
  12. Grate

Just my 2 cents:

1. Nanoweave is fine as is.

2. On the subject of realism: If you get shot in the head from a sniper rifle, you die. It is that simple and if memory serves the worlds best could do it from 2 miles (3.2 km) away. That is the real world. This is a game so we make allowances. At the end of the day there is nothing wrong with a one-hit-kill bolt action shot.
  13. Vaphell

Nanoweave is supposed to give +X HP, no more, no less. You won't find a single word explicitly supporting the idea that the immunity to a whole category of weapons is its main perk.

AV turret 'sniping' mech - easily 500+m of range, noobskill lockon launcher same deal, yet snipers countering these engineers and HAs? 50-75m of effective range, 1/10th. Hardcore realism is one thing, sense of proportion and basic logic are another.

worst case scenario is ~30m

[IMG]

note that the initial value of NW5 was supposed to be where current NW2 is, ~20m out the window just like that.
    • Up x 1
  14. Grate

I'll deal with the part directed at myself though I do find the other parts interesting not to mention accurate. I can only respond from my experiences with OHK from the position as NC as I have yet to acquire a bolt action for my TR and VS. From my personal and limited experience usually by the time an AV turret can start shooting I can usually peg the engineer, rather I could if I had a hit ratio higher than 1/40.

As for the lock-on, it would require some research into man-portable SAM systems but I imagine the range though regrettable may be accurate. If that is the case then I am forced to say that yes it is noob-tastic but that is less an equipment balance fail and more a fail on the part of the game engine which from the posts of others mentions something about a 300m render distance. Of course that might also depend on an individuals system specs, my system is a little dated to test it with.

Right did a 5 second Google and according to Wikipedia, take the following with a grain of salt I know I will, the presented information is as follows:

Man-portable SAM system details:

typical detection range: approx. 6 miles (10 km)
    Effective range: approx. 4 miles (6 km)

versus Sniper rifle max effective ranges:

Cartridge Maximum effective range
    7.62×39mm 600 m
    5.56×45mm 600 m
    7.62×51mm (.308 Winchester) 800 m
    7.62×54mm R 800 m
    .30-06 Springfield 800 m
    7 mm Remington Magnum 900–1,100 m
    .300 Winchester Magnum 900–1,200 m
    .338 Lapua Magnum 1,200-1,500 m
    .50 BMG (12.7×99mm NATO)
    12.7×108mm (Russian) 1,500–2,000 m
    14.5×114mm 1,800–2,300 m

All that being said I see your point and do tend to agree with it,.. and on a 4th review with a friend having me go over it. I just realized the uselessness of the stats. I've decided to leave them in for possible source material for others but find myself wondering what we were discussing? I am in favour of the bolt action being able to one shot people, despite the nanoweave. The reason being? It's a sniper rifle round to the face, take into account that most infantry helmets are lacking in heavy armour never mind face protection or neck support and the previously mentioned bullet should either shatter neck/spine or paint the walls with your brain matter.

My apologies of going off on a tangent.
  15. Izriul

No, 75m, exactly what I said.

Unless you want to complain about a lesser rifle, which is just silly and no one else's fault than the users.
  16. phreec

If you get head shotted by a bolt action it means either you're a noob doing something wrong or the sniper is skilled and doing something right.
  17. Voiidd

Honestly I don't believe there's anything wrong with nanoweave and all the whining about it comes from SMG infiltrators and LAs wanting to play as HA(wannabies), guess what, if you want to go toe to toe with your enemies just switch your ***** to heavy.

However, I also think that a BASR shot to the head MUST reward with a OHK, regardless of overshield, nano or whatever.
    If I'm playing with my phoenix in plain sight, disregarding common sense and and just standing there like a d1ck, the infiltrator headshotting me deserves the kill, even more so if they can make the shot when somebody is moving.
  18. Vaphell

Don't forget to send PM to Mustarde to tell him he is doing it wrong when he rolls with his favorite suppressed SR-7.

'Sidegrades' rings any bells? They are supposed to be valid choices and they are not. Sniper rifle that can get blocked at 30m is nothing more than a craptastic slug shotgun with craptastic aim mechanics and craptastic rate of fire.

Don't tell me it's OK when 3 out 4 weapons suck *** (not that the 4th one owns) and reportedly the devs think of churning yet another one. Any HA can pull a noskill lockon that works at 500m but heaven forbid if LONG RANGE SNIPERS can kill a squishie by hitting a tiny target at ranges beyond mid where LMG and AR users have no problem spraying inf down with a finger up their *****.
  19. PWGuy93

It's not the weapon, it's the range. Up close OHK's still happen. It supports a style of play being close and taking a risk to be close.
  20. Koldorn

Challenge not, the Cookie.