[Suggestion] Predator Leaping/Climbing

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by K0NFL1QT, Sep 12, 2014.

1. K0NFL1QT

The Infiltrator is the main class that can take advantage of an elevated firing position, but we have no good ways of really getting to them. Certain points we can get to if we're okay with a ten minute run. Other points we need to first be squad leader and get there as Light Assault in order to plant a beacon and redeploy as Infiltrator, which is unfeasible because a beacon in a sniper spot will only really serve the sniper well at the expense of the rest of the squad, and you don't want a whole squad of snipers sitting on one spot. You can fly a fighter there and drop out, but you may get found by a better pilot en-route happy to hunt you down... and even if you don't, it's a bit of a waste of resources to take a fighter jet and bail out, leaving it to fall out of the sky, unloved and exploded.

I'd like to see an enhanced jumping mechanic. Not flat out plus twenty metres on your jump, but perhaps you hold the jump button to increase the height you jump when you release it. A stationary jump would be completely vertical, but if you release while running you get an extra long vertical jump with some good height to it. It could be a suit slot, or a possible alternative to the Cloak power. Alternatively, the ability to scale vertical walls would be neat, either manually or with a replacement Tool that's a hookshot of shorts?
  2. ezaroo

Well I can see it being fun and useful but the fact is 99% of places you could get with this you can already get to pretty easily. You just need to learn how to appropriately use the games jump and slope physics. There are plenty of videos and tutorials out there.

So it is a lot of extra work for the devs to add something that is already in the game even if they didn't mean for it to be there...
    • Up x 1
  3. K2k4

I vote we get the landmark grappling hook in our tool slot. An alternative to radar which will allow some better positioning.
    • Up x 2
  4. Gemenai

Some sort of mechanic to get more mobile and getting to sweet spots more easily would be nice.
    It´s so frustrating if you use effort and time to get into a good spot only to recognize that the battle moved on to the next hex.
    Or ( sooner or later) you will be discovered and have to switch location, but the next good one costs another 6 minutes.
    But the best thing all it needs is a LA ( BR doesn´t matter) flying his fat, skillless *** up to you and spray& pray you down with either carbine, smg or shotgun.
    And no i´m not a bad infiltrator. Yes i know my locations.
    But even the best player can´t defend against endless LA, as soon his location is known.
    He either dies like a man, switches location ( witch is not ever granted with success) or redeploys.
    Escpecially if the silenced weapon is not silent ( looking at you phaseshift you old *******).

So long story short - better movement and mobility for infiltrator => yes please, would be nice.
  5. MisterSlim

Try using the Racer Chassis along with Vehicle Stealth. Complement those with External Afterburner Fuel Tanks and there's not much worry about getting blasted down by a even a professional pilot. It'll get you where you need to go (the more unorthodox the place, the better). And in terms of cost, 350 nanites replenishes in 7 minutes. If you land in the right place, (yes, it will take a little bit of practice) then you should have no problems picking off enemies for 7 minutes.

Hope this helped
    -MisterSlim
    • Up x 1
  6. Kcalehc

To add to the above comment: the Safe Fall implant and/or Safe Ejection System are also useful to get to places that are ordinarily out of reach.
    • Up x 1
  7. K0NFL1QT

I have all of the mentioned certifications, and yes they help, but I'm still pulling a fighter just to bail out. It's not a very fluid mechanic. I might just want to get on the roof of a small building beside me, knowing that an enemy push will be rushing right in my line of fire. And I know, vertical mobility is generally considered the realm of the Light Assault, but an enhanced jump feature would not necessarily overlap with the jet packs. For one, in my proposal, it would require charging to reach maximum height. Secondly you can't use it to protect yourself from a deadly fall, nor would you have quite the same measure of in air maneuverability.

Just imagine, while the bulk of ground forces will be rushing in through the same predictable entry points in bases, an Infiltrator might be able to leap clear over a wall to the side or rear of the base, allowing them to access mildly elevated flanking positions on the fly... without requiring an aircraft, or scaling mountains half a mile away for ten minutes.
  8. FireclawX

Maybe for balance, make it so that the super jump ability is only available when you have a sniper rifle equipped?
  9. cruczi

Let's just give sniper rifles to Light Assaults. That should do it.
  10. K0NFL1QT

Nah. The Light Assaults mobility is generally suited towards close-range ambush, popping up or dropping in on someone and spraying an smg in their face, or escaping. It'd be great to have a sniping jet-packer, but they're two different classes for a reason, so I've tried to make my suggestion not bleed too much into the Light Assaults role while offering Infiltrators an alternative to strafing and awkwardly jumping against mountain surfaces to get any real height advantage over the battle.
  11. ezaroo

but the thing is, on large objects (mountains, hossin trees etc) the awkward jumping is actually faster than LA with a fully upgraded jetpack...

Then there is the balance issue, you will not use this ability to get over walls you will use it at close range with an smg to fly over the head of your target and destroy them... Sure then don't let them have smgs when they can super jump, but what about SASRs? Vandal? Get in a close fight, super jump and shoot them in the top of the head... And that's even more work for the devs.

I admit the idea is cool and could be very fun but in terms of work for the devs it is a nightmare, getting the mix between usefulness and flying smg infis would be quite hard.

On top of that there is the following issue, if it replaces recon tool, you have flying invisible people... if it replaces the cloak, you have a gimped LA... It is either full blown pointless or insanely op there is no middle ground in this idea.

Before you suggest only being able to use BASRs and it replacing cloak, then what you have is a gimped LA with a sniper rifle, no way to hide from people who start looking for you and no useful way to escape.

The idea of a grapple tool to replace recon tool is workable as all the balance issues of the super jump are gone (like smg jumping over heads) but I'm not sure if the game is programed in a way where this would be easy to implement or if it would be a nightmare for the devs.
  12. MisterSlim

I forgot to mention that in my first post! That one is actually the most important thing to cert in xD
  13. CuteBeaver

We already have " super jump " . Take a few minutes and learn which slopes are climbable. Once you start thinking like everything is a rock, (Yes, even buildings and trees) the game gets interesting. If your doing it right... It shouldn't take you obscene amounts of time to get over or onto things. For those who have old computers try dropping render distance down to 500 and adjusting your settings. If your CPU bound the render distance helps allot. If you GPU bound fiddle with other settings including render quality. Most simple climbs can be achieved around 20-40 FPS. These are things like exterior towers with turrets and gates, small trees, even some small buildings. If your following easy to use existing slopes they often lead upwards and can enable people with very slow machines to reach the higher ground so be creative. This is especially true on Hossin and Amerish. However If your trying to use micro jumps, and manipulating your momentum to go up near vertical surfaces then your going to need higher frame rate. Essentially for some things you need a more responsive game to process the rapid jump requests. Otherwise key presses are left to chance and inconsistency + gravity can be fatal.

Here is an old video, of how to climb the exterior biolab from last year. I broke it down to a 2 minute guide you can try. Don't be discouraged if it takes you a longer time. Everyone gets faster with practice and sometimes you will find even better routes to the top. Originally it took me 2 hours one night during drunken ops to find a pathway up.

I personally like how, unlike the light assault, we have to climb our way up. ESF's with ejection seat exists for those zerged out moments, or times when you couldn't reach the location quickly enough and now its unsafe to try. However there is a certain sense of accomplishment you gain from reaching the top by your own merits. Jetpack is far too easy to get any sense of satisfaction from. Especially if its something that looks impossible like the warpgate, indar coral, giant hossin trees, or amp even stations. I'v used these locations for sniping (minus the warpgate) and they are even more satisfying when your practice actually gets put to good use.

Just remember to be respectful, technically rooftops should belong to the light assaults. You can't go into high places and not expect some resistance or a few visitors to happen by. Its not every day they find infiltrators in their comfort zone, and its by game design they exist to end your 20-30 something streak.

I love mobility, and like to push myself to see how fast I can go and what challenging routes I can take along the way. Once you get the basics down you can start focusing on keeping your speed up. I am at the point where I can climb almost anything so speed becomes the new milestone for me. Sometimes it leads to some pretty crazy sessions, I try and post the interesting ones to my parkour section

You can find those here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDSGbSi_LsVUS4rFkFTW7LyMD5_eOgOx0
    • Up x 3
  14. K0NFL1QT

As I imagine it, it's usefulness in combat would be negligible, or even a disadvantage. When two enemies are on the same level you both have the chance the aim and lay some bullets into each other. If you go from right in front of them to ten meters over them in a split second, you couldn't reliably keep your cross-hair on them and you'd actually be more vulnerable as you're presenting a non-threatening side of your character to your enemies - that is, your underneath.

And yes, I'm fully aware of the extent we can already 'climb', but it feels more like abusing a bug in the game geometry than an intended feature. I've been climbing game landscapes like this since Morrowind, so I have a good handle on what can and can't be climbed. But the fact that we put up with 10 minute shimmying across sheer surfaces to reach that one good spot shows exactly how much Infiltrators need some innate vertical mobility.

And if you think a charge-up leap is OP, which I personally don't, then I've presented other ideas. How about a Cloak-replacing Climb power that, while active, disables all weapons but allows you to pretty much walk right up even flat walls, albeit slowly? It's the same sort of climbing that we have now, just better. You don't have to endlessly circle mountains looking for the slight incline you can ascend, you just find somewhere out of the enemies sight and get upwards! Cloak is unreliable at best in close range, and only has any use vs other Infiltrators at long range, where it becomes a game of whoever pops out of Cloak or cover first gets a bullet through the skull. You don't really -need- Cloak at long ranges, because chances are your target is distracted with a much closer battle, and you should have terrain to hide behind, aswell as being a tiny shadow on a mountain half a mile away.

And playing on Hossin was what inspired me to suggest this. A lot of those trees are just amazing sniper nests, but only a Light Assault can climb them, and even then it takes way too long to be of use. You have to drop in with a vehicle, and while we can waste a fighter or Valkyrie to do it, that's not really the intended purpose of either. I've suggested a small, one-man air transport that would solve the need, but that would be non-Infiltrator specific. I'm sure people would love a nippy little air vehicle, but only the Infiltrator would really get the most out of the positions this would open up.
  15. CuteBeaver

Anti Air squads, engineers with AV turrets also make pretty good use of elevated out of the way positions. I guess what it comes down to is: Why should you be up there without some sort of effort or cost? If your not a light assault it should probably cost you something, or at least be difficult to achieve those height advantages. Its ultimately up to you when selecting how you want to pay for that leverage. Time, resources, or the aid of others using a beacon but essentially each time you get into a good elevated location like that, a cost of some sort must exist. If it were both free and easy to reach lucrative places they would be used 24/7. Then the next big question, how can another non infiltrator class like a medic on the ground stop you? Can he climb up? No? The device your wanting to use would need to be available to every class. (regardless of their loadout) so they can have a chance to counter you. Right now everyone has feet, and everyone can ESF. LA's have distinct advantage with regards to vertical mobility and its the core mechanic of their class. In order to gain that mobility they give up their ability to do other things. Honestly I think your asking for too much. It would be like LA's wanting a bastardized version of cloak because thermals and tankspam happens. I get you want to be a sniper in a good position and in doing so sacrifice cloak. Thing is do you really need to do that? The proposed exchange seems to benefit you greatly but hinder everyone else. I don't like this idea because its not moving our class as a whole forward in any manner. Just a select few who would trade an ability they didn't value for something to allow them to go on long killstreaks and farm all day with very little risk. I know thats not what your wanting to hear but its the honest truth from my perspective. This suggestion doesn't take other peoples frustrations into account.
  16. CuteBeaver

Since I can't Edit: I would recommend maybe re-thinking this device so all classes can use it. (Maybe not max units.) Ex some kind of Nanite Systems consumable in place of medkits or something like that. You might get better support as long as there is a cost of some sort attached and its available to everyone so they could choose to counter you if they really wanted to get up there. Most people would still pull a light assault but it would enable everyone to climb to a small extent and would be a little more fair. Thinking aloud it would still present problems with regards to walled bases. Designers might not like people circumventing those.
  17. ezaroo

Hmm, could I keep an smg crosshair on someone i was 10m above? Answer yes, for sure... and i would only get hs from up there. You can basically shoot your own feet in this game and can free rotate in the air so yeah it would be mega op in close quarters. The speed of the jump is actually what makes it op, a floating la is an easy target a super speed jumping infi is a big issue this game has about 0.5 lag and clientside hit detection remember, so for up to 0.5 seconds the person you are fighting still sees you on the ground adading but really your above their head hsing them to death in 0.3 seconds - they can not physically react to it or counter it, they'd have to kill you before you could jump or it is over for them.

And CuteBeaver hit the nail on the head, currently LA are the only class that can get on any surface without an aircraft, their counter is another LA, if infis could do it as well, everyone would need it... if everyone had it, LAs don't really have an ability anymore, just a slightly better version of one everyone has. Now super jump would be a massive issue if everyone had it... "ohh look, a flying shielded shotgun heavy with nanoweave" not quite as game breaking as giving infis C4 but getting there!

The fact is as I keep saying it would be lovely to just skip into my favourite sniping spots (like we used to with free control drop pods <3) but this way of making it happen is really badly thought out.

In this game vertical mobility is the LAs ability giving it to another class is massively unfair. It is like giving heavies away to heal other people or cloak or repair things or fly... -.-

ps I should point out, beaver is quite the cqc infi and dislikes this, I'm more of a sniper and I dislike this. That really should tell you something...
  18. MisterSlim

Wraith Flash
    Primary Function: A 60 second cloaked battering ram that fires explosives and travels at 100kph.
    Secondary Function: A ladder. Try using the ladder-mode to get into those hard-to-reach places. Let it act like a footstool to find a foothold in the side of the tree.
  19. K0NFL1QT

I'll try that. On the point of using flashes; do you think the Racer or Surger is the better frame? Racer increases acceleration and overall momentum which increases your ability to climb through hitting an incline with sheer speed, while the Surger seems to be a slower, more consistent climb.
  20. MisterSlim

It really depends on the landscape, but more importantly, it depends on you. If you're skilled at hitting the slopes just right and getting those sick jumps that land you on top of hills, then by all means, the Racer chassis is for you. I, on the other hand, prefer Surger for most things (Although on Esamir, I've found the Racer Chassis to be amazing in just about all circumstances). All in all, I'd say that more extreme areas can be reached with Racer, but that will require a good bit of practice, whereas Surger seems better for all-around use.