PPA Through vehicle shields

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tentakewls, May 18, 2014.

1. Tentakewls

As some of you may know, the PPA is one of the few vehicle weapons that can go through vehicle shields. I've always assume this was an oversight from SOE and because PPA wasn't popular I didn't care much. However, now that the PPA is becoming more popular, I keep finding that people use it to shoot trough vehicle shields which while being protected from harm by said shield, which I find particularly aggravating when it's a vehicle attacking a base, since the shields from the defender end up protecting the attacker instead.
    So, is this an exploit?
    • Up x 6
  2. z1967

Its only supposed to block AV weapons, so SKyguard rounds also pass through it. Regardless, they should probably fix this before it gets serious in any way shape or form.
  3. Elrobochanco

Pretty sure all the other AI tank weapons go through as well (the marauder, canister, and maybe even kobalt). As long as it can't hurt an armored target, I think it's fair game to go through the shield currently.
    • Up x 2
  4. Tentakewls

I just tested the canister on the PTS and doesn't go through shields, haven't tested the marauder but I never seen it done.

Did more testing, the fury, marauder and kobalt don't go through shields, pretty sure the basilisk and bulldog don't either, which means only the PPA and Skyguard do.
    • Up x 3
  5. lNeBl

Any gun that doesnt do AV damage should go through the shield.
    • Up x 1
  6. Nepau

PPA is classified as a AI weapon, which is why it goes though the shield, just like Small arms/ Colbalt. If people find it a problem I wouldnt be against it if it removed the explosive damage ( only direct hits work) though the shield, but I do think it should retain the same AI ability that the other AI weapons have.
  7. Tentakewls

The rest of the AI weapons don't seem to go through shields.
    • Up x 3
  8. IamDH

Are you talking about vehicle gate shields or the shield below the biolab kind?
  9. Nepau

My question though, out of all those weapons your testing there, which ones can damage vehicles? I don't know about the Canister, but only the Skyguard can do damage, and even then the odds of it being a threat though a shield is minimal. PPA can only damage Infantry, it is classified as Small arms, like an LMG or Colbalt.
  10. Frosty The Pyro

actualy PPA and marauder deal "anti light armor" damage, and m85-canaster deals "vehicle shotgun (canister)" damage, both of which do real nice damage to harassers and flashes (and maybe ESFs) as per PU2.

the fact that the kobolt does NOT fire through shields surprised the hell out of me, I actually put one on my sundie explicitly to provide AI fire support to an attacking force once, only to find its shots blocked.

thus the things that fire though vehicle shields are

infantry small arms
    PPA
    Skyguard (can hurt vehicles)
    AI phalanx turrets (can hurt vehicles)
  11. Tentakewls

PPA damages vehicles and goes through shields, Kobalt can't and doesn't go through shields. I'm pretty sure this was an oversight from SOE. It was OK before when PPAs where rare but now that Saron got nerfed they are extremely popular it's becoming a problem.
    • Up x 4
  12. Tentakewls

The ones on AMP stations with the big tank drawing on it.
  13. lNeBl

PPA can't damage vehicles other than light vehicles which any weapon, including the kobalt, can damage :p It is strange the Kobalt doesnt go through the shield.
    • Up x 1
  14. Sauce Sausage.

Is that on PTS only? becouse i have a kobalt in my vanguard and i can shoot trough shields, i can say that kobalts are better than PPA, not only becouse i get more kills with it than PPA, but becouse it can shoot eveywhere, saving me from ESF's a couple of times.
  15. Nepau

You really haven't use these weapons for a while have you. That or your thinking about the Light vehicles that everything damage:

16. DramaticExit

The canister didn't last time I used it (about a week ago).
  17. Taemien

If the Kobalt or Canister can't go through the Shields, neither should the PPA. If the PPA is intended to go through the shield, so can both the Kobalt and the Canister.

Watch what you wish for, VS. Remember what happened when you didn't argue for a MAX charge buff.
  18. Codex561

And the skyguard? If its a bug, I love it!
  19. Elrobochanco

Honestly I think I need to test it now, what I was told from others was non heavy armor damaging weapons (small arms), so I didn't think basilisks or skyguards would go through.

Also I feel like there might be some confusion in this thread. I mean vehicle shields (that's the ones on the edges of amp stations) not the bar shields over say the vehicle bay at an amp station.
    • Up x 1
  20. Alarox

IMO, no weapons should go through shields.
    • Up x 1