Post useful things that only infiltrators can do

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Dragonblood, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Dragonblood

Hi, can we make this thread about what infiltrators can do to contribute to the metagame.

1. Hacking enemy turrets to prevent them to shoot at your invading teammates.
    2. Using that turret to shoot defending tanks from behind.
    3. Using that turret to prevent hostile reinforcement from other bases (especially Sunderers).
    4.Upgrading your wraith with fury to hunt down damaged tanks.
    5. Upgrading your wraith with fury to lay waste to camping infantry.
    6. Sniping hostile rocket launcher campers.
    7. Spawning a Sunderer in the enemy base.
    8. Giving Vision to your teammates by spamming upgraded recon darts.

Any further ideas?
  2. Ztiller

I dislike the "Only [class] can do" talk generally, because it severely limits your creativity.

By that definition, the Light Assault can't do anything that any other class can.

The only truly "unique" utility of the classes are the Tools and Abilities. We can hack, medics can revive, Engineers can repair. We can also spam recon darts, but other classes can have vehicle radars. Engineers can provide ammo, but other classes can use Infantry terminals. Medics can heal, but other classes can use Medkits.

That does nto mean that the Infiltrator recon tool, Engineer ammo pack and Medic heal tool isn't ******* awesome to have at your side.

I prefer to talk about where the classes Excel. For example, only the infiltrator is capable of taking out large groups of enemies undetected. That does not mean that a HA couldn't have gone in there guns blazing and killed them all just as well.

Instead of thinking about what only we can do, think about what we do better than the others.
  3. Dragonblood

WE don't excel at point capturing in a hard CQC fight. That's for sure.
  4. Dr. Euthanasia

Aside from the obvious "hacking terminals", you pretty much got everything. Sniping is rarely useful beyond slowing down Heavy Assault squads during an armor zerg, and our cloak doesn't give us a quantifiable combat advantage in close range. Even if it's easier to flank as an Infiltrator compared to other classes (a fact which I think many people love to exaggerate to a ridiculous degree), it's still possible as anyone and a fair argument can be made that the increased risk of detection is more than made up for by the increase in firepower. One Infiltrator behind an enemy squad versus one Heavy Assault with a pump-action shotgun is no contest.

Also:
    Ignoring the obvious retaliation to this statement about how the jetpack does allow the Light Assault to travel to otherwise completely unreachable areas, the class also happens to be the only one in this game with access to Concussion Grenades, which are dramatically more effective than frags during coordinated attacks.
  5. Dragonblood

naaah, I wouldn't want to play LA as main class. Except from the C4 dropping on tanks and sunderers, I wouldn't know what to do.
  6. OddChelsea

Have the sexiest pants.
  7. MuNrOe

Catch phoenix rockets with their heads.
  8. Dragonblood

Yeah, if I should ever leave the TR, then to play a female Vanu Infiltrator.

Pah, Phoenix missles..I shoot those with my sniper rifle. XD
  9. Dalistro

They are good at tenderizing enemies for your team mates. :p
  10. m44v

grief your team by not using a useful class.
  11. MintiFresh

They're more annoying than every other class, while being far less of a threat at the same time. That counts, right?
  12. Maleficus04

Not to be too nit-picky, but, Light Assaults get Flash and Smoke grenades; Heavy Assault gets concussion.
  13. Plague Rat

Besides what's already been mentioned, my two favorites:
    - Use EMP grenades to halve the health of everything in a large area as well as turn off all their IFF indicators (which can be hilarious to watch if everyone is wearing varied camo)
    - Use the Wraith Cloak and play a game of "Crazy Taxi: Explosive Ordinance Edition", where you pick up someone with mines or C4 in your rumble seat and take them to lay mine fields in really funny places, like in the middle of a tank rush, or do a hit and run on an enemy sundy, decloak to give them the chance to stick with C4, and zip out.
    • Up x 2
  14. Dr. Euthanasia

Wait, really? Augh. Shows how much I play the other classes, I guess.

Flash grenades are pretty good all the same, though.
  15. UnholyForager

I can't speak much for Infiltrating-Infiltrators, but as far as sniping goes, the main advantage they provide is denying the enemy the use of cover in a defensive position. Running through an open field trying to attack a squad situated behind some rock or tree with only their heads poking out is no easy feat, until your sniper puts a bullet in their head, or at least suppresses them long enough for you to run up to them. Unsurprisingly, this is related to one of the biggest complaints about the phoenix launcher, but that's another discussion.

I don't know for sure, but I feel the reason why a lot of people say snipers are useless is because a lot of people who try playing a sniper are really bad at it.
  16. Ghostloadout

17. Zinus

watching the smoldering debris of enemy turrets/terminals.
    watching enemy sundy as it spawns infinite amount of troops.
    watching scout radar outperform sensor dart in every way.

:(

edit: well to be honest. inf is probably the best class for assaulting and taking a small point (when there aren't that many players around). Once it becomes crowded inf becomes a worse version of LA.
    • Up x 1
  18. m44v

And LA with a shotgun can do this better.
  19. Ripshaft

You're skipping a step, abstract to literally what is available to the infil, then build strategy on top of that, if that's what you're after.
  20. OldMaster80

The problem with Infiltrator is:
    1. Every freaking Infiltrator in the game can counterhack what you've done in 3 seconds.
    2. When base is very crowded this is just not possible. And even if you manage to get to a turret without dying 120 times and you start shooting then everyone will know where you are.
    3. Same as above.
    4. This can be fun, but it's a very limited role and it takes a ton of cert points. Nevertheless everyone with a Fury can hunt down tanks.
    5. No need to be an Infiltrator to camp infantry with Fury.
    6. Phonenix campers can do the same with you, and not every Infiltrator is a sniper.
    7. That's true, but also very sad. Hacking a terminal takes only 3-4 seconds then everyone can spawn a Sunderer. This is very fast action, and it's such that a good team only needs 1 Infiltrator. Once you spawned a Sunderer no one needs your skills anymore.
    8. Recon darts are just crap, as the Scout Radar is cheaper and more effective (and everyone can have it).

What we need is devs to improve what we already have and add something new to the game. We must be spies, recon troopers and saboteurs.
    - We need a new target inside bases that's only for Infiltrators. Something that only we can do, or that we can definitely do better than others. That could be some kind of advantage in overcharging / destroying generators, or something else.
    - We need the Stalker Suite to make decent recognitions inside enemy territory.
    - We need the Recon Dart to be more effective and cheaper than the Flash Scout Radar.
    - We need our EMP grenades to be more effective on Infantry and also affect vehicles. Or at least we need a new kind of EMP / Microwave weapon the disrupt / disturb vehicles.
    - We need the Decoy Grenades to be fixed as the red blip does not appear on the minimap.
    - We need a coordinates marker for the upload on the map coordinates for the team ("I've found their Sunderer, I'm pinpointing that on the map!")
    - We need overall better hacking mechanics, and counterhacking should take much longer.