[Suggestion] Population Bonus is Backwards

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WetPatch, Mar 9, 2013.

1. WetPatch

I think SOE have gotten the Population bonus backwards, so here is my suggestion which i know i'm going to get flamed for by some people.

Here it is instead of +% exp for the lower populated faction, which doesn,t really make any difference because your out numbered and out gunned so you don't really benefit from it, so i think it should be -% exp for the Over Populated Faction, which would encourage them to switch to a map with a more equal balance, instead of camping the lower factions warp gate and getting full exp for killing them.
  2. KAHR-Alpha

And if there isn't any?
  3. hunder

this sound fun
  4. Richard [PG]

Yes, you're going to be flamed for this because it's a bad idea. Simple.
  5. Xale

Not sure thats advisable. Fewer targets tends to mean less XP in the first place.

They do however need to normalize resource gain. If a faction has 50% pop, and the two others 25% - then the resource gain for the larger faction should (in this case) be half.

Mathematics and logic behind it should be fairly obvious.
  6. MadGelo

short answer: NO !
    Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Never gonna happen anyway.
    penalty = lots of angry people.
    bonus = no angry people and some happy people.
  7. WalrusJones

I would love to see a benefit be applied to being the underdogs....
    In fact, 10-20% less XP for people farming smaller factions sounds almost perfect to me.
  8. WetPatch

I agree with you there, ive been on the end of a gate lock and had zero resources to fight back with because the all the continents resources are going to the Locker who can then produce a endless supply of armor.
  9. WetPatch

Why is it?
  10. Aisar

Cuzz there's going to be a lot of really pissed off people who don't appreciate being told they have to move off the map they want to play on because the reward for their effort is being reduced. Giving incentive is better than taking it away. I don't want to to be penalized because I want to play on a map where I have the advantage. Like...who do you think you are man? (that's sarcasm, btw).
  11. Ganelon

Of course, punish the players who happened to choose the highest populated faction because it's obviously all their fault.
  12. hunder

the fun think is only tr thinks this is bad idea lol
  13. Vaphell

fewer targets is often offset by the speedy caps so it's not much of a discouragement for many. People like being on the winning side so no-change-at-all with no targets is good enough, you actually need a true penalty to strengthen self-correcting forces in the system.

Faction about to be gated should get fat bonuses to cap xp to encourage reinforcements from other continents and pushing out, and i mean 3digits fat, like +X00%. You really need to entice players to stay when they are outnumbered 5:1 as they risk being farmed hard for no gain at all, without any hope for killing anybody.

Currently the system is very prone to snowballing, winning faction gets more resources for toys and fewer defenders standing in its way, who discouraged leave the continent in droves. It should be the opposite, last few territories should mean an a very tough, extremely uphill battle.
  14. Aisar

Not our fault we have the coolest looking ESF, MAX, weapons in general, super high rates of fire, the best looking color scheme, the creed of strength and unity, no man left behind (I think I made that one up), etc, etc, and so forth. Nope, we were born this way man.
  15. Aquilae

I play VS on connery and we've been outnumbered forever.

I'm vehemently against this.

bonuses are good. penalties are not. especially penalties for people that you can't control. TR and NC should be able to fight on indar all they want, punishing them just because there aren't many VS is unfair and lame. they can't make more VS log on, they can't make their own faction's guys log off.

and it would be totally ineffectual as well. unless you make the penalties cripplingly high, it's still going to be more xp to stay on indar where the big fights are than switch to an empty esamir / amerish. so ultimately this change would solve nothing and just piss alot of people off.
  16. Necron

How are you going to make that idea work on my server, where, for the last few weeks, two of the largest VS and TR outfits have had a non-aggression pact and have been actively trying to gate the NC?
  17. WetPatch

Few of your outfit mates make alts on TR and join 1 of the pact outfits and actively attack the VS pact. You gotta light the match to start the fire.

On topic though, how does population bonus have anything to do with your problem?
  18. Necron

Because we often have a pop advantage on paper, but have to fight both TR and VS so in reality we are outnumbered.
  19. Madmojo

Penalties are more effective than incentives.
  20. BlueSkies

bad idea is bad.