Pop lock + high population = never cap a continent

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by {joer, Mar 9, 2013.

1. {joer

This mechanic has got to change. You have a three way fight. You can't cap a continent if anyone wants to defend it, no matter how well organized you are since once the population hits the cut off you can't bring in more people.

Currently I can't even get in the queue for Esamir on Matherson, and you can't beat two factions with one unless the other guys just don't show up. Something that doesn't happen on higher population servers.

It just makes the "meta" game all the more pointless.

2am continent caps are not fun.
  2. Jaquio

I think one thing that hurts is that you can re-take captured territory immediately.

It makes it kind of frustrating when you fight for a base, and take it over, go around and repair everything, everyone takes vehicles and moves to the next base, and one or two people who hid in the base re-cap it behind the enemy lines.

I'd love to see a 5-10 minute cooldown so that bases can't be re-capped immediately.

This came to mind when we were fighting TR on Indar. Myself and a handful of others capped Sandstone Gulch against a group of determined TR defenders. Eventually we pinned them down, cleared out the base, capped it, everyone got resupplied, a sunderer was made, and we moved out. By the time we had made it to the next base, I see that Sandstone Gulch is being re-taken, probably by some TR who zipped over in a Mossie. I recognize that defense is important, but there's a difference between defending a base while you play and pulling guard duty.
    • Up x 1
  3. Ratsle

It will get easier when they add more continents and people get more spread out.
  4. Phyr

This is the problem.
  5. Vertabrae

Who cares about capping a continent anyways? I'm just happy that there are decent sized battles everywhere I go.
  6. Hague

Fundamentlally there is no personal incentive to encourage people to capture continents. If you added something tangible to the locking, like say a global faction xp bonus or a SC discount. Basically the mechanic as it stands now doesn't encourage a player to really care about continent locking. Resource cost reductions are not a great incentive.
  7. BlueSkies

We had that for awhile in beta... I do kinda miss it.
  8. JohnnyOmaha

I do.
  9. HadesR

Hard to win continents > Cont's flipping every 5 mins

Now victories need to be earned ...
  10. Vertabrae

You might, but your in the minority. Right now there is no real point to capping a cont, with the slight exception being Indar because of infantry resources being by far the most used.
  11. Delta102

I think his point was more that they aren't earned, they're accomplished through ghost capping at off server hours or by a faction with a population advantage.

On topic though I don't see this as an issue, if they implement continent locking with a continental lattice system you will be able to isolate factions and not have perpetual 3 ways all the time. So I think it is a bit to early to say this is a problem just yet, if it really is one at all.
  12. LibertyRevolution

You ever play risk? You don't leave just 1 army on a spot at the front line..
    Leave a squad there.. have them stay there until the rest of your platoon caps the adjacent areas so that base cannot be capped.
  13. Jaquio

But at a certain point you're no longer playing a game. You're performing guard duty. You're doing a job for no pay.

I just think, for the sake of fun and inspiring more fights, the game would simulate the idea that we're leaving people on guard duty to prevent immediate re-capping by lone wolves, without having to actually make it someone's job. This is supposed to be a game, not a simulation.

Another solution would be to allow engineers to plant automated turrets. A few automated turrets and a few AP mines would be good to prevent lone wolf ghost re-capping, but not enough to stop an actual squad movement.
  14. Scorponok

yea i wonder why they bothered merging servers...doesnt help the issue adding more continents spreading people out..they should just have left them on the old servers then...that would spread them out better.
  15. Frosty The Pyro

resource atrition, when you own most of the continent you can simply throw away vehicles one after another, the defenders who will not own most of the contenent will burn through thier stored resources quickly and once that is done the side with vehicles will be able to compensate for being outnumbered, at least if they are organized.
  16. Scorponok

well thats the benefit of being a sub...increased resoruces...and if you have a buff implant, you can easily get a 100% increased buff total ^^
  17. Katana

Or it'll just mean more continents are ghost continents....
    • Up x 1