Point of the Game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Oliverquinn, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Oliverquinn

I mean, don't get me wrong I'm loving it. However, what's the point of the game if theres no victory? Just endless pushing, me and a few real friends dominated Terran and kept pretty much the whole map red, as well as having the other two continents almost fully red and yet nothing happened.

Am I doing it wrong? I'm yet to see a win.
  2. Garrix

Why do you play Battlefield? Why do you play Call of Duty? Why do you play any online FPS? Why do you play any computer game?
    • Up x 2
  3. Tactics

There are no winners in war, only losers.
  4. Oliverquinn

TO WIN, to work for an objective that ultimately gives me a nice onscreen pop up "YOU ARE VICTORIOUS!"

Not to push push push push push push for 6 hours on end.
  5. renegadeknight

Your pretty much suppose to lock all conts. After that you pretty much can consider yourself the victor and the game continues on wards. You won't get anything special, but you pretty much won and can go ahead and brag and such. Pretty much the name of the game is to conquer, you don't need SOE telling you if you won or not. You will know when you have won.
    • Up x 2
  6. Gavyne

If you are "loving it" and having fun, that's the point of the game. For that, I'd say they're quite successful.
    • Up x 1
  7. Sikab

Interesting. When i was young we played to have Fun... Winning or Losing or just Passing time... Didn't matter since we were doing it together as friends.

When did the youth changed so much?
    • Up x 1
  8. Gavyne

That's CoD/BF's way, and these games are quite short and they are not persistent. This is a MMOFPS, it's persistent so you can keep going if you want to. Just a different style, different theme. You're working your characters and getting upgrades while having fun. That's the point. You don't need a scoreboard at the end showing you that you won in a persistent game worlds. But there is a leaderboard if you really need to flex your epeen.
    • Up x 1
  9. Oliverquinn

I'm 22, not really that young. I was just wondering I'm not complaining.
  10. wolfva

The Roman Empire would beg to differ.

Well, they would if they hadn't been conquered by a bunch of very happy barbarians who, much like the Romans before them, didn't feel like losers...

The point's to have fun. Or this. One of the two.
  11. Ravens

endless war.
  12. Jestunhi

The point in entertainment is to have fun.
  13. Macfan89

Yes, and no.
    Yes, you are wrong to expect an "end." Many people forget that one of the things that truly sets PlanetSide 2 appart from other online FPSers (aside from the scale) is the absence of "matches". Almost all other shooters consist of the idea of playing for a certain amount of time, and finishing with a screen that displays everyone's score and which team "won" or "lost" or if the match ended in a draw. But there's no real way to ultimately "win" or "loose" in PlanetSide 2 the same way there is in other games. And you stumbled in to one of the rare cases where you and your friends had not only conquered an entire continent, but had few other places to go that were not already taken over.
    And No, because you were playing the game correctly. You played the game the way it's meant to be played. You used teamwork and you persevered and you kicked *** and took names and shoved the enemy back all the way to their Warpgates, and that's an incredible achievement. You won't get anything tangible for all that, but surely you have some fond memories of this epic campaign, don't you?
  14. Bags

The point of the game is to have fun.
  15. Ravenclaw

if you missing a "you are victorious screen" then your now workong on your objectives

have you never seen "Facility Captured" "Facility Secured"....

these ARE your victories, and they no wait time for your next match aka target.... plus you have the ultimate victory of continent locks
  16. oOCKYOo

Take some screenshots, make a toast to taking the whole server, post your memories on some social network and be smug for 30 minutes then continue the fight.

If you expect a treat like a dog that just did a trick right for the 50th time then you're gonna be disappointed in this game :)
  17. PSpleyer

that wasnt really what happened to rome, for example the leader of the 'barbarians' had actually fought in the roman army most of his life, they became divided after years and years of corruption and over expansion

off topic, but it isnt really fun when big fights hit stalemates. it's always better if things are flowing.

the history in how the romans originally defeated the barbarians in 200, 100 bc, though, is extremely interesting
  18. Orbital_Butt

The point of the game is to make the guns put the bullets into people, ya turkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Rome
  19. Moxin

Its just the game mechanic, the decision of the developer of this game.

There are other fps or mmofps games out there who actaually delivered gameplay with a point, where you can conquer the whole server map or controll towns. Not sure why in 2012 all we get is improved graphics but game content development stucks.
  20. Vertrucio

So dominating a continent and getting a global benefit isn't a goal?

Taking a sprawling base from hundreds of other players isn't a goal?

There are plenty of goals in this game. You decide which you want to pursue.

Besides, this is only stage 1 of planetside 2. Planetside 1 was a mess when it first released, I know, I was there. The devs have already stated that they'll be doing more with taking control of continents. The thing they're waiting for is to finish making more continents. After all, it's a bit pointless to have a deep continent domination system with just 3 continents.