[Suggestion] Please undo lightning control changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Okaydan, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Okaydan

Okay, this is a semi-rant/request post. Please undo the lightning control changes that were implemented with the "tank handling improvement" last patch.

So here is the deal. When driving a lightning (with racer) I like to go full speed and circle around my targets. I do this by continuously pressing W to stay top speed and D or S to turn. When my turns are not sharp enough, I release W and instead press S, causing the lightning to drift. This increases the sharpness of the turn while remaining at decent speeds, at the cost of not really being able to turn the opposite direction quickly (drifting to the left prevents you from suddenly changing to right).

That's all fine and dandy. Worked my way to lightning auraxium like this, 160+h. But then, since the last patch I noticed my driving went to ****. I started colliding with rocks and trees. First, I thought my keyboard got problems with stuck A or D keys maybe. Then I noticed the controls were not doing what they are supposed to do. Finally I found out, that they changed the way inverted reverse controls work.

Why was this not mentioned in the patch notes?

What used to be the case with inverted reverse controls: when the lightning moves forward, D steers to the right, and A to the left. When the lightning reverses, so the the A and D controls. So when you're turning around your own axis with A, you go left. Press S slightly, and it will start turning right instead.
    But now THE CONTROLS GET INVERTED THE MOMENT YOU PRESS S REGARDLESS OF SPEED OR DIRECTION!
    So when I am drifting around, I press S to brake efficiently, BUT THIS IMMEDIATELY INVERSES THE A AND D CONTROLS SO I GO IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION INSTEAD. This is causing a lot of confusion, often making me bump into things, losing track of my target and, in two cases, flipping my lightning.

Why was this changed?

Now, you might think, why not use space (hand brake) to drift? That works to a certain degree, but somehow it feels like a weaker brake. Also, when using space to brake, you're likely to keep your finger on W as well, reducing the brake effect even more. Thirdly, this is a pain for my muscle memory and causes me to divert my attention to driving, rather than killing.

TL;DR: undo the inverse reverse controls for the lightning (and I think vanguard and prowler too, but they're not very good at drifting anyways). Or at least make it optional. Seriously, I have to relearn driving the lightning again for no apparent reason.

And while you're at it, return the lightning's mass to what it was before, too. It's not realistic to have a lightning do two 360's when getting bumped by a sundy. And I managed to flip my lightning more in the past week than in the couple of months before that... BUT THOSE CONTROLS ARE PRIORITY!
    • Up x 1