[Suggestion] Please remove dying in Planetside

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Exitus Acta Probat, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Exitus Acta Probat

Getting killed is not "in the spirt of gameplay" everyone should win and get a ribbon equally, losing should be neutral.

Please make it when you would die, that instead you lay down and goto sleep to wake up refreshed in 10 seconds... Mkay
  2. DooDooBreff

1/10
    • Up x 3
  3. vitanidb

10 seconds? Oh hello no. 5 seconds is fine.
  4. UserWithNoName

In fact, letting people have guns is a bit dangerous -- someone could get hurt, and it's not fair on those who only bring knives to the gunfights.
  5. 1Tap2Tap

But that´s exactly what happens right now.

People are not getting hurt (no blood, see?), instead people fall asleep if their constitution reaches 0, and to accelerate the regeneration phase, your nanite body cells get disassembled and reassembled in a cryochamber where you wake up again to continue your work.

The issue it get´s counted as "death" is a bug in the API, SOE/DBG planned to include the concept of death first but then realized in doesn´t fit the concept of a wargame.

But SOE/DBG, following their tradition, never fixed the API bug.

Those lazy buggers.
  6. WeRelic

So... This?
  7. S7ntheR

Marx aproves of this.
  8. stalkish

I assume this is a response to the threads about the new loading pics.

Let me ask you this:
    Scenario: You sent your dog to the vet to be put down.

Question: What would you prefer / what is more humane?
    • the vet using a blunt knife to stab your dog to death
    • the vet using the usual painless 'go to sleep' drug
    Thats the 'problem' people have. Its not the death, its the way its performed.
    Assasinations, even cartoon like images in a game, can cause the same feelings of unease in people as the vet would.
    Does it seem logical to those who dont get those feelings? Sure, it can do ye, but it doesnt mean you cant try to understand their thoughts.

Making a troll thread about it is fine for a laugh, but these people do have a valid concern. Whether its shared by the devs is questionable, doubtful really considering they have added them to the game, but often things like this are overlooked, they're only human afterall.
    In a game that has limited the violence, and has removed the blood and gore in order to obtain cetain age ratings in the gaming world, these concerns should absolutely be brought to the forefront.
  9. Syllabear

1/10? I think a chihuahua with brain cancer can have more humor.
  10. WeRelic

While I agree with your reasoning on the perception of method, I think people are far too fragile these days. Its a piece of artwork depicting fictional characters on a fictional planet "killing" another fictional character who is, for all intents and purposes, entirely immortal.

Seeing as 10 year olds can play a game like CS:GO without repercussions, the rating system is utterly meaningless.
  11. Exitus Acta Probat

You mean if I send a in game picture of my pet from Sim City to the trash-can/delete, because niether the picture nor the game the picture is based on is real.

If my feelings were hurt from the deletion of the in game picture of my pet in Sim City then I really shouldn't be playing video games to begin with, much less one about war where the goal is to kill as many enemies as you can preferably in a spectacular fashion and deriving much enjoyment from said killing.
  12. stalkish

I was using a real life example of the feelings people have when seing the pics.

I wasnt justifying their position, or am going to justify yours.
    I was simply trying to explain their feelings on the situation.

Like i said before, its not the killing, its not the death, its not that its a computer game, its that they feel the act they are seeing is inappropriate, thats all.

Whether or not people die in this game is irrelevant, and tbh, the glorification of getting as many kills as possible has gone way too far in this game. I disagree that its the main goal.
  13. William Petersen

It's not about 'spirit' of the game, but representation of it. The splash screens should be *exciting*, they should show you what the game is like. 10 guys standing around in a circle jerk executing a single enemy is not exciting, it doesn't represent what happens in game (usually). It's just lame. The art is well done. I'm not particularly bothered by the imagery itself, I just think the splash screen should make me excited to play the game. Seeing 10 of my comrades killing one enemy is not exciting. Seeing 10 of my enemies killing one of my comrades is not exciting.
  14. stalkish

Agreed, the rating system is silly, no1 rates the news for example and thats real life shizzle.

Having said that, why are people so insulted at others not liking the pic?
    What ive noticed is, the people who dislike it, exaplin why they dislike it, and in a reasonable way, and tbh i can understand their complaints, perhaps not totally agreed, but i understand why they have a gripe.

The people who disagree jump to conclusions about who the others are or what they stand for, become abusive and defensive, and dont actually engage in a discussion at all, they just throw insults around and use phrases like 'political correctness', without actualy knowing what they mean.
  15. Scr1nRusher

The SJW's are invading forumside.

This is like if the Tyranids invading the Eye of Terror
  16. WeRelic

I can understand those that are touting the "It doesn't fit the game" argument, and I pretty much agree with that assessment, despite liking the artwork itself.

As for those that are saying that it's "inappropriate", or arguing along those lines, I feel that they're just being overly sensitive, as much of this generation is wont to do. I could understand if it were showing them killing a civilian but in the game's lore, there are no civilians, and death is only temporary. Through that lens, "killing" an enemy soldier is actually more humane than holding him prisoner for eternity. These are fictional, immortal beings we're talking about, not human beings.

I don't know, I guess I'm too thick-skinned for our current culture, but I feel there are far better topics to discuss than the perceived inappropriateness of the splash screen images, and the people complaining about it are being pedantic for the sake of pedantry. I don't mean to pass judgement on these people, but someone needs to be honest with them.

I'm not sure whether I fall into the camp of becoming abusive/defensive, but if it seems that way, it's unintended. My dry writing style has been misconstrued as malice in the past, so I apologize if thats the case here. I hold no malice for those that dislike the image, nor for their opinions, but even those insults are valid discussion, if for no other reason than to poke fun at the ludicrousness of what they're rallying against.

If you weren't referencing me at all, well then, ignore my projections :p
  17. stalkish

Is there a more relevant topic than that of which everyone wants to speak?

My critique wasnt directed at you individualy, although ,thats also what i meant by defensive, people arnt complaining for the sake of complaining thats being a little derogatory to them, they do actualy feel they way they say they do. 1 person complaining has only been a member since Monday, so clearly felt compelled to create an account to mention it.
    I just dont understand this need to belittle the opinions of the people who feel this way, simple discussion is enough.
    (actualy forget the above, i must have a vice on my brain, this is the internet....)

On a slightly related topic:
    Why has everyone assumed the TR are executing, or about to execute the guy, perhaps he is just a prisoner being portrayed to the enemy and they have no intention of killing him?
    Maybe its an empty suit of armour they took off a dead heavy and the TR have made a propaganda picture for their warpgate?
  18. William Petersen

[IMG]
  19. WeRelic

Pedantry: Excessive concern with minor details and rules.

The splash screen is a minor problem, thus, people are being pedants. I don't use words I don't understand, so you can lose that misconception about me.

Either way, I've said my piece. When you guys want to have a discussion about something useful, let me know.
  20. customer548

This "minor problem" is the first thing people have to face when they log in, is the last thing they have to see when they log out, and a thing people have to see multiple times during their gameplay session.

The frequency of the disturbance isn't "minor"...so that's not a "minor" problem.
    You also wrote 10 comments in threads about this "minor problem". It seems you like to talk about "useless things" in the end.