Please don't nerf the AV Turret

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Varennikov, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Varennikov

I agree with the limited deploys. I don't agree with nerfing the range. That is the only viable use of the weapon. At close range, you die too fast to use it. I think making the guidance a lot "straighter" and hard to turn, just a lot stiffer would be fine.

Alright, if you don't have to aim the AV turret at max range (eg a straight line shot), then that tank hasn't moved for a long time. Saying the AV turret doesn't require aiming is pretty odd to me. The only way I get kills is with good aim, most shots miss. The AV turret is really strong. I vote for a slower reload speed and stiffer guidance. Then it is easier to dodge.

I can kill tanks by myself at medium range with the AV turret. It takes about 4 or 5 hits and I typically get a position that I can hit the tanks in the rear. At extreme range, the AV turret is more of a support weapon. I did get 3 kills once in an extreme range shooting 'session,' but overall extreme range shots don't hit often. I was only getting kills because there was a battle going on causing damage to the vehicles in question. I really don't think the range should be nerfed. The range is IMO what makes this weapon fun to use. Using the AV turret in medium or close range is instant death. You'll even take some hits at long range. Just make the guidance harder, but still able to possibly hit things. I made this thread because I don't want the AV Turret to become the new NC MAX. Say what you want about the NC MAX... I used to use it months ago, but now the only weapons I use are my Dual Falcons. Falcon is better AI than the AI weapons. They nerfed the thing too much. I mainly play TR and I don't fear NC MAXes at all. They are a free kill to my Mercies. Even at close range.

How about making the AV turret not block damage? If you get hit by a tank at long range, you get hrut really really bad or killed. I don't know why the turret blocks damage anyways, its not like it's a brick wall or anything.
  2. [HH]Mered4

Here is a simple Idea:

Just fix the rendering issues, see how it fares and if the OPness is toned down....

THEN decide on a nerf.

The last time these blundering developers of ours tried to *uber-fix* an OP weapon, they nerfed it into the ground, and now noone except uber-skilled players use it. (If you haven't guessed, I am speaking of the lolpods)
  3. Messaiga

What? A lot of people use Lolpods.
  4. W0rthy

*mumbles something about SOE setting specific values on render distances clientside THAT WORK FLAWLESSLY so that all clients see the things they should see and maintaining good fps, whilst they work on performance rather than having people muck about with arbitrary values set in the ini giving varying game experiences*

Just reduce the damage instead. The range is the whole point of them. The amount of times i've been in a mag having an av turret shoot at me, turning around and instagibbing it and the guy on it.. well it's quite a lot.. And to offset the main guns drop over range is the challenge. If you make them too close they won't have a chance.. BUT if you make them closer be damn sure they are able to aim further downward or it's going to be.. icky..

Also;

If they nerf lockons too much (ground lockons will obviously be effected too) and oblivionize the av turret. It might cause a lot of problems for infantry. Vehicles in this game are incredibly strong as it is. Not saying it is overall but the very good players can just decimate people in a way not easy to find. Even with AP rounds on mag i've quite a few times taken out 5+ moving striker infantry in a row without missing and using IR smoke when they locked, to the point where i drove away because i felt sorry for them. OHK capabilities makes really skilled players obscenely overpowered. And given that vehicles take quite a bit to bring down.. AND GIVEN THAT the utility exploit bug on the vehicles is still intact (hopefully if we all report them they'll be dealt with).. Well.. I'd say do one thing at a time, and delay it on the AV turret if you ask me.

Better overall for the ingame experience.
  5. [HH]Mered4

*cough*

Care to clarify? If you are talking outfits, yeah they do. Many of the good pilots are in outfits.
    I am one of those who still uses lolpods, but I dont run with them all the time now, because its like throwing marshmellows at a tin can. Sometimes the thing will tip over, sometimes you just look stupid.
  6. Messaiga

I see plenty of rocket pods around, they're still great for what they are meant to do (Anti Tank, Anti-Infantry to an extent because of splash damage). It is just they cannot instagib a tank from the rear in a moments notice anymore, and they are not really High-Explosive.
  7. [HH]Mered4

Didnt notice the instagib.

Never happened to me that way. I always head plenty of warning. Heck, I argued against that nerf, but they went ahead with it.

And now...sigh.

Lets just not do to the AV turret what the devs did to lolpods.

That would just SUCK
  8. Messaiga

Lol the AV Turret does not need a massive nerf quite honestly, but what could be done is maybe increasing the size of the AV Turret, or limiting it's range to a certain distance from which it will then be un-guidable and go on the trajectory it was left at. The main problem of it is at a certain distance the engineer does not render, the AV Turret is absolutely tiny at range, and it technically has unlimited range, only based on what the render distance allows.
  9. [HH]Mered4

The ONLY change i am currently supporting is the fix for render distance - which, if I understand correctly, has been implemented somewhere. Everything else....heck ANYTHING else would be slowly creeping towards a nerf-to-death declaration. Which would be bad.

I think.

:p