Please do not go through with implants in their current form.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by drhead, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Camycamera

yeah, at first i was okay with it, then i see there needs serious changes.
  2. illgot

These implants are a direct upgrade and basically break infiltrators. Implants go in I may leave. Once a company becomes too greedy I start losing interest quickly.
  3. Goretzu

Intrinsically they are not (as in PS1).

However they are when the are based on rentable income that is boosted by paying or just by paying directly.
    • Up x 1
  4. Goretzu

Only if you think understanding how F2P montization policies work is "asinine". :confused:
  5. Averath

If Implant go in, in their current form, I'm uninstalling Planetside 2 and not looking back. It makes me sad that I'll have wasted money on what could have been a good game, but something as blatantly game-breaking as this is enough to completely ruin the game for casual players who don't have money to throw around.
    • Up x 2
  6. Goretzu

Implants are rentable, if they were permenant like weapons there wouldn't be this issue.

You buy an implant for say 12 hours for 100 certs, then you have spend another 100 cert after those hours and another and another. A new player (or just a player with small amounts of play time) is unlikely to be able to afford that cert-wise (and certainly won't be able to save certs for other things).

So they end up either being at a significant disadvantage or having to pay for implants one way or another.
  7. huldu

Implants like the ones in ps1? In a game that uses a "f2p" model... hilarious.
  8. Tradewind

"Monetization" is such a moot issue. It's not like you need to pay a dollar for anything. You're not stuck being gated for things like abilities or levels unless you pay money for them.

I get that they're only rented...not sure where you're assuming I'm not. Though we don't know for how long. If it's anything like boosts, 12 hours is unlikely. Maybe 24h minimum, but 3 days is more likely if we're sticking with a possible 100 cert cost.

The point is that a "new player" is not going to gain as much from buying implants as they would from spending those certs on their early abilities and weapon upgrades. Things that are going to have an overall and lasting benefit to their gameplay with or without implants.
  9. cfnz

Higby has already suggested implants will last for "hours, not days" and have a low cost. We currently have 1hr +50% XP and resource boosts valued at 75 and 125 SC respectively (if the wiki is accurate). Whether that is considered "low" is pretty subjective though.
  10. rayvon

I dont think they are pay to win but I dont think any thought whatsoever has gone into them either.
  11. illgot

Lol 75 certs for 1 hour implant. I really hope this greedy *** company tries this pricing.

125 SC, isn't that one dollar and twenty five cents an hour base value? Wow, a bit expensive.
  12. Konfuzfanten

Implants in their current from is just too powerful. Bad idea.
  13. Goretzu

Indeed, you can not pay and be at a disadvantage, hence P2W(BYMNW).

24 hours was what they were suggesting orginally.

But that's exactly the point new player (and player with less time) either have to P2W(BYMNW) or they operate at a disadvantage.
  14. Kanil

No, not really. Everything else you can buy doesn't expire, so... why does this?
  15. Kevorkian

Wrong. Implants are P2W.

You give my ZOE immunity to Concusion/Flash grenades. Or Regeneration Implant, so I can equip Kinetic Armor instead of Nanite Repair. Tell me how you balance that. I've got the certs and SC to fuel frequent implant usage.

Prior to Implant introduction, things were relatively fair and even between paying and free players. Now with resource changes and implants giving bonuses that are "required", this game has turned into P2W.... big time.
  16. drhead

I'll try to address some of the dissenting opinions:

Not in the conventional sense. Yes, I can earn them with certs. I am also offered a choice between earning and paying for weapons. However, the key difference is that these implants are direct upgrades, while weapons aren't. You start with a weapon in every slot for every vehicle and every class. There is nothing that can be bought with station cash that is a direct upgrade or that fills an otherwise empty slot. This is what implants do.

The problem is that the implants have no downsides and can be acquired with SC. It has, until now, been standard that everything that can be purchased with Station Cash is never a direct upgrade.

I agree that the implants' functions are also in need of reworking, though I think the best way to do this is through adding a downside to each implant. These downsides could be unique or general. Maybe something like this could work:

Awareness: auto-spots enemies who damage you or that you damage
    Downside: Reduction in helmet density made necessary by the implant causes headshots to do more damage to you (2.5x as opposed to 2.0x, which I think is something that Infiltrators would like considering how nanoweave would not protect against headshots from a bolt-action if someone is using this implant)

Battle Hardened: reduces camera shake from explosions and flinch
    Downside: Increases recoil, and nearby explosions cause you to temporarily move slower, similarly to what would happen if you jumped repeatedly.

Clear Vision: Protects against concussion and flash grenade
    Downside: Reduction in hipfire accuracy.
    EMP Shielding: Protects against EMP Grenade effects
    Downside: Interference reduces the distance at which you can see radar blips and spotted enemies.
    Enhanced Targeting: increases the range that you can see enemy health bars and names
    Downside: Personally, I think this implant should be standard behavior, though I think that an increase in weapon switch time would be okay.
    EOD HUD: Allows you to detect enemy explosives in a short radius around you
    Downside: Reduces movement speed.
    Regeneration: Slowly regenerates health over time when not in combat
    Downside: Shields stay down for an additional two seconds before recharging.
    Safe Landing: Reduces fall damage
    Downside: Reduces acceleration on foot.
    Sensor Shield: Makes you undetected on enemy radar/motion sensors
    Downside: You cannot see enemy radar blips, except from sound. Does not stop you from showing up on radar from firing an unsilenced weapon.
    Thermal Reduction: Prevents the wearer from being highlighted by thermal vision
    Downside: Reduced movement speed.