please dear god, FIX THE STUTTERING!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ExarRazor, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ExarRazor

i can deal with render problems for now
    i can deal with imbalanced weapons and vehicles
    i can deal with the myriad of bugs that effect gameplay, sometimes in hilarious ways
    i can even deal with aimbotters, speedhackers, ESP users

what i cant deal with is the godawful stuttering.
    this is LITERALLY breaking my ability to play the game
    ive tried everything i can possibly think of, and went googling to try some things i havent
    i've turned every setting down as low as it will go
    ive turned every setting up as high as it will go
    ive used settings in-between these
    ive deleted and reinstalled just about everything relating to gameplay i possibly can multiple times, the game client, drivers, various types of software

ive pushed my cpu and gpu clocks to extremely unsafe levels, ive turned off every single service my computer doesnt absolutely require to run, ive set priorites and core affinities.

but i cannot play the game with such massive drops in fps every second, often jumping from 60+ down to as low as 1 fps any time look in the general direction of so much as a fist fight between 2 people.

please for the love of whatever omniscient being you worship, FIX THE GOD DAMNED SUTTERING
    using the following hardware
    i5 3570k @4.5ghz
    GTX 650, 1202mhz base clock, 3000 memory clock
    750w corsair PSU
    8gb 1600 corsair vengeance ram
    asrock extreme 6 z77 motherboard
    1080p monitor (resolution changes didnt help either, went all the way down to the lowest possible setting and it didnt help)

edit: for the inevitable ******* who comes in here and says its my problem: no it's not. i was playing the game just fine prior to GU02 on the same computer with all ultra settings, not a single stuttering issue to be seen. GU02 comes out and bam! i can no longer play
    • Up x 6
  2. Lancelot

I'm in the same boat as you. I have two 680 GTX in SLI here and getting single digit sluttering sometimes, it started to happen only AFTER the GU2. Removing the SLI does not help at all. SOE really ****** this up!
  3. jiggaaa

im running on low rig after gu2 everything was fine after the hotfix it destroyed my game.
    heavy stuttering like every 3 seconds its so regular that i could even get used to it .
    please guys especially those who are only reading and not pushing this threat ! bump it and like the threatstarters comment , to push this fix forward. there are a lot more that have this issue please dont be quiet!
  4. jiggaaa

by the way i will start some monitoring while playing the game to look up where it hangs and will post this soon, if anyone of you has good tools for that please tell me ( programs to make diagrams and so on , everything that falls in your mind ) .
  5. Aldaris

Pretty much the same boat. My computer is just over 3 years old now, but was running the game just fine before GU2. Even after GU2 it was still ok, but for me something in the hotfixes killed the performance. I've stopped playing until it's fixed, and if it's not within the next month or so I'll be cancelling my account.
    • Up x 1
  6. jiggaaa

i have exactly the same issue ! the hotfix killed my gaming experience the gu2 was fine for me

and please do not forget to like the first post!
  7. Syncaidius

I had this exact problem until about 2 hotfixes ago. But since then, I get a totally different problem which still makes the game unplayable when it happens. The entire game world starts flickering constantly - the terrain, players, vehicles, etc.

This doesn't happen everytime, but when it does, nothing fixes it except restarting the client. Sometimes I can play for a good 2- 3hrs before it happens, other times it happens 5mins after starting.

System Specs:
    AMD Phenom II x4 @ 3.0Ghz
    8GB 1333Mhz RAM
    AMD/ASUS HD 7850 - 1GB GDDR5
    ASUS M4A87TD-EVO Motherboard (~ 3 years old now)
    Sound Blaster X-FI

Liked the OP anyhow, as I really hope they fix all these game-breaking issues.
  8. McJackson

I used to have horrible, nerve-wracking, scream-inducing stuttering just like you're describing. I don't know if this will be any help, but I'll share my experience in case someone can get something out of it. The thing is, I can only give pointers, since I'm not quite sure which tweak exactly helped me (I made all the tweaks at once). :D But in case you haven't tried some of these, I recommend.

1. I resetted all 3D graphics settings from nVidia control panel to default. I had forgot I had tweaked the global profile a lot in my quest to pretty up Skyrim.
    2. I also had forgotten I set the GpuPhysics-setting in UserOptions.ini from 0 to 1 when I first started playing PS2, to see if did affect anything at that time. I set it back to 0. I guess, since the GPU physics are still bugged, it could have done something ugly in the background.
    3. http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...rking-your-cpu-to-get-more-performance.53793/ Downloaded the Core Unparking application and unparked all CPU cores and restarted the computer.

After that, no more stuttering. It's like a completely new experience, smooth as butter. :)

I hope one of these helps, or you guys find some other solution that helps. I wouldn't wish that kind of stuttering even to the Vanu and Terran scum. ;)
  9. TintaBux

The problem is after the hot fixes they did SOE presume it's fixed and won't make any fixes/tweaks to the optimization/performance, despite at least half of us losing FPS after the much promised performance update, and a big chunk of people still suffering with poor performance which only came about after GU2.
  10. nickkeane

I have an AMD CPU that was having issues rendering the game effectively, and would suffer from frame rate drops and constant crashing. I thought it was the game, but then I found out that EPU, which is a program by ASUS integrated into their motherboard, was causing the crashing and stuttering when I set it off of its normal settings. It CAN still be on your end. They might have tweaked something that caused some CPU-related software on your computer to not interface well with the game. Make sure to check that you don't have any special settings in BIOS going on or are using special software that might be regulating your CPU (Turbo mode, Energy Saving Mode, heavy OC'ing, etc.).

PS2 not responding well to variations in clock speed seems to be a recurring theme since GU2. Tune it down to the stock multiplier and voltages temporarily and see if it works any better.

Make sure to let me know if that did anything.
  11. nickkeane

Is the 3.0GHz stock or overclocked?

Do you have CPU adjusting software like EPU that came with the ASUS mobo on your computer? If you do, make sure it's disabled or set to default settings.
  12. ExarRazor

so i messed with a few more settings and had a smallish patch downloaded upon logging in
    i never had anything like EPU running, so that wasnt a factor
    my energy plan was on 'high performance'

i did however reset every tab under nvidia control panel for like, the third time, but this time i went through global settings and game-specific settings alike

i was able to play around near the crown/ti alloys region, with several enemy platoon hexes around, and no stutter.

i'll have to wait till prime time to see if it actually works, but so far i was able to participate in multiple platoon battles without stuttering.

hopefully it's fixed. guess ill see later
    • Up x 1
  13. Civilunit

I searched around with youtube, believe it or not I fixed the problem by disabling hyperthreading on my motherboard in the bios. I actually got to play for a while 2 hours without any stuttering problems...little lag in big fights but I could actually shoot people. This did not seem to effect the performance of the PC at all, frame rates still stayed solid.

However my second computer has hyperthreading enabled and it doesn't stutter, but it has a less powerful CPU. maybe its just an issue with high end computers, my primary computer has an over clocked I7. its really stupid to have to change bios settings for this game, I have never had to make changes to my computer for any other game I play.

It is a really easy and quick thing to try though.
  14. Naceo

The issues might be the OC and windows 7 in general. I've read somewere that some games like to sync their events to some windows 7 service that times itself based on the clock rate. However for the life of me I can't find it anymore.

EDIT: I just had a crazy Idea on when this flashing bug last happend to me, I might be able to reproduce it and *fix* it on command. Damn it, i'm nowhere near my compy now.
  15. Kylln

I'm fairly certain that the stuttering problem, at least for me, starts to happen when my CPU gets close to running too hot. Overclocking has been a known issue for this game, I believe for getting out of sync with SOE's servers, but this game really , really works the CPU and makes it run hot. I opened the side door of the case and put a big box fan blowing directly on to the mobo, no more stuttering. I also put the CPU back to a normal setting and not overclocking anymore... runs smooth as silk now. I also have the CPU process PhysX, which is a setting you can do in the NVIDIA control panel.
    i7 cpu

P.S. I can't deal with the aimbotters , they need to be castrated
  16. Alesteex

I'm still getting stuttering as well. It's extremely annoying and frustrating seeing my frame rates go from 50-90 and then drop to a sudden 10-14 at seemingly random intervals. Maybe it's lag? I don't know. But it happens on a regular basis. I have an i7-965@3.8 ghz, gtx 680 graphics card, and 12GB DDR1600 ram. The game is even installed on an SSD drive. Even now I'm contemplating a new CPU and Motherboard to see if it will overcome it.
  17. Kylln

It's not your computer, it's the game. Every patch with it's "fixes" also breaks things. But hey, we got new shotguns!
  18. Syncaidius

Its stock. I don't use any CPU adjustment software since, I really haven't found a game that maxes the CPU out. The only thing that has done so is a Minecraft server I hosted for a few people with a bunch of mods installed... but servers are like that (resource hungry monsters).

CPU isn't my problem with this game (the game takes ~ 50% cpu or less), its just the damn flickering bug. From what I've seen and heard it existed in the beta, and thats long before I started playing. Why is it even still here?

I just get this annoying feeling that PS2 will end up going the same way SWG (and Matrix Online) went. SOE will patch it, nerf/simplify stuff along the way, introduce more bugs instead of fixing the important ones, then eventually shut it down when its not making them enough money. Its a long time ago... but I used to love SWG and MXO... SOE killed them both.
    • Up x 1
  19. -a4-

Your problem (yes, sorry, it is your problem - you have it, I'm just trying to help you with it) is likely to be a symptom of bottlenecking. A few years ago I would have suggested defragmenting your magnetic hard drive and checking your pagefile size. I am guessing that you are using SSD(s) - but you didn't say. I don't think you'll get much sympathy or help from SOE when you may have pushed your CPU/RAM beyond their capabilities.

I suspect the bottleneck is occuring between your CPU and RAM

The i5 3750K has a Max Turbo Frequency of 3.8GHz (not a physical limit but an indicator).
    The i5 3750K has a Max Memory Bandwidth of 25.6 GB/s (a physical limit which you may have exceeded with your overclocking).

"8gb 1600 corsair vengeance ram"
    There are several varieties of Corsair PC3-12800 (speed rating 1600MHz) RAM, with different voltage and latencies. Memory bandwidth calculations can't be completely accurate without knowing which specific RAM you are using and what voltage/speeds you may have overclocked it to.
    Basically,
    Rated Memory Frequency x 64 x 2 divided by 8 = Memory Bandwidth
    1600 x 64 x 2 / 8 = 25600 or 25.6 GB/s
    If you are running your RAM faster than 1600 MHz, the CPU's cache probably can't keep up.
  20. Partiesplayin

Same issue here STuttttttttttterrrrrrr no matter what settings . ITs a game issue for sure . Will it be fixed who knows....
    amd fx8350oc ghz edition oc to 4519.81 mhz
    Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3h rev.4.0 MoBo
    Sapphire 7870oc ghz edition Overclockes like a mofo
    8gb g-skills ram 1600mhz
    windows 7 64 Bit