Players abusing the term "OP"

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wind_Walker, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Wind_Walker

Seriously.

I've seen quite a few misguided quips about X being OP compared to Y, and many (and I mean MANY) complaints to the developers asking to nerf X. The newer players may be at fault here, but there needs to be clarification.

There is NO OP faction or weapon. I started out in VS, moved to TR alt, and have an NC alt. Honestly, each faction is pretty well balanced save for a few outliers, and even then they still arent UP/OP.

A lot of weapons on all factions have been nerfed to a shadow of their former glory because of this. They're definitely still usable, but it's underwhelming at best. There were a few places where this was justified, but there were a lot more that were implemented for nothing more than to appease the complaints.

I've also noticed most of the nerf/buff calls are from those that either want to maintain their high K/D, or those that want to gain a high K/D. Why these two things are important, idk.

I wanna keep this civil for the sake of the more mature players. Please, no flame wars here.

So TL:DR; the term OP is being tossed around more than a hot potato with STDs. What are your thoughts on this, and what have you heard that's "OP" recently?
  2. Daigons

GateKeepers are OP.
    • Up x 8
  3. Imp C Bravo

People can say X Y Z all day. Without good arguments and reasonable support for their claims they will be ignored by the devs. Crying OP all the time won't affect gameplay. I highly doubt that any weapon in this game was ever changed because of the dirty diaper belly aching.
    • Up x 1
  4. Dennisz125

I think they are tired of dying from same weapons over and over again
    But here's my idea, nerf all weapons that are cost over 1000 certs and buff weapons that are cost under or equal 650 certs
  5. PasitheeVS

I don't really know what you want to reach?
    Do you want us to call (let's say) 90% of the Weapons UP and the other 10% perfectly balanced?
    Yeah, this is so logical makes balancing discussions so much easier. Not.

I agree that it's up to the Point of View if e.g. the HA is totally OP or the other classes are totally UP.
    I prefer SMG-Inf atm for example (with EMP grenade *cough*).

All in all, the game is asymetrical and that's good.
    However it requires a lot of balancing work and some things suddenly become OP and need adjustments
    (e.g. the pre-nerf-PPA when Hossin went live, Gatekeeper, Prowler, Claymore), others are totally useless and need adjustments (e.g. Phaseshift, Lasher) those however won't affect gameplay that much because they're not used and other things were, are and will be OP forever (Aircrafts, Maxes).

Also, who are you to forbid others to call OP things OP?
    And tell things like "everyone calling something OP has tentacles and r4pes children and kitten with them"
  6. KirthGersen

7. FieldMarshall

It feels like most people who call something OP have only played one faction.
  8. Jubikus

Different means either OP or UP.
  9. Liewec123

i disagree, i play all 3,
    i play NC, ravens are OP
    i play vanu, BG is OP
    i play TR, GK is OP

though i quite like the game having asymmetrical balance, of those 3 i think the only one that needs a small tune is GK,
    factions should have things that are better and things that are worse than the others.
    :)
    • Up x 1
  10. Eternaloptimist

Each faction has an OP weapon.............Balance achieved! Hurray!

But I do agree with the serious point Liewec and other make. A claim without a supporting argument is just a whine and selective comparisons are unrepresentative and self-serving.
  11. Taemien

This is what I tell those people:

1. Login to PS2 Players
    2. Go to their character
    3. Click Killboard
    4. Filter by deaths on the timeline
    5. Count the number of times said weapon killed them

If the number is higher than LMGs, Carbines, and Assault Rifles combined, then it might be OP.

Most times the number accounts for less than 5%, if the weapon even appeared in their last 100 deaths.

Try it, you'll be surprised how LITTLE you are killed by things like Vehicles.
  12. Demigan

You are forgetting something important: battlefield choice.

Players do not fight in open fields between the tanks often. Why? Because that's almost a guaranteed death. They avoid 70% of the map because they can only fight on 30% of it without getting their behind kicked (these number change based on the continent ofcourse).

How do players fight? They spawn, pick a fight they have more chance of getting XP and stats (IE not where vehicles are) and do battle. They die often and quickly due to infantry weapons because the spawns are often close to each other, cluttering your deathlist with infantry weapons.
    Are the infantry weapons more powerful than the vehicle weapons? You can't tell from just the deathlist. If infantry can avoid vehicles altogether then there's no way to tell if the vehicle weapons are more powerful because they didn't get a chance to score kills.

Now look at the kills and deaths in the sparse open field battles where infantry and tanks fight alongside each other. And I mean open field and not "infantry is hiding in good cover next to an open field while tanks do battle close to them". From what I see, tanks get much more kills than infantry in those battles.
    • Up x 1
  13. Taemien

Here's the thing, there's nothing in open fields to fight over. Infantry can usually sneak around or over the 'main fight'. And even if vehicles turn around and go back to the base, walls, buildings, and other structures prevent them from defending their control point. The inverse is also true, if vehicles have nothing to prevent them from pushing forward, they likewise face walls, buildings and structures that prevent them from direclty affecting the base capture. Their only recourse is to maybe bombard a spawn room (we all can agree this isn't a favorable use of tanks, for victims and tank user's alike).

So to answer the question, yes in the current game where fighting is mostly done with infantry weapons, they are stronger. They are stronger simply because the environments that matter, is where infantry weapons shine.

Imagine if this changed? Imagine if infantry weapons dealt half the kills and vehicles the other half? And in places where it wasn't just a farm.

Well you and I both know Forumside would go ballistic. The ironic thing is that vehicle users would likewise be complaining because they would be dying more too. Especially those who don't use their vehicles properly, as tools, not farming agents.
  14. Armcross

I wish I am OP but I'm not.
  15. Demigan

Spawn locations.

The moment the attackers try to move up to set up Sunderer spawnlocations there's a vehicular battle needed to get close enough and secure a place for the Sunderer. The only times when this is tough is when A: there's an AV nest at the base and no cover to get closer or B: when the defenders have vehicles of their own.

One of the reasons why people think that vehicles mean so little in the meta is because the attackers almost always have the vehicular advantage and they can push through to set up Sunderers almost instantly. This is because tanks are so powerful that infantry often can't prevent Sunderers from being placed. And the moment the Sunderers are down the infantry battle continues.
    Likewise, vehicles are important for the defenders to hunt down and destroy Sunderers. With the vehicular disadvantage and the lack of incentive for players to get tanks at the next base this doesn't happen often, however.

Now look at Quartz Ridge and Indar Excavation. Because of the distance between the two there's ample of time to get vehicles before the attackers arrive. Both bases also have access to MBT's, making it a relatively even battle (Quartz Ridge is easier with more safe Sunderer locations ofcourse). And there you really see how vehicular combat is necessary to win, and how powerful it is.

They aren't stronger, it's just that they are more easily matched to the defenders. It's hard to get a large enough vehicle team together to push away the attackers. It's easy to spawn an equal amount of infantry to match the attackers. This means these battles take longer and cause much more bloodshed simply because players will die for hours on end making no progress in capturing a base. Vehicles make almost instant progress and cause the enemy to avoid them quickly, meaning fewer deaths.

There's fewer vehicles pulled than infantry used, so I would say that vehicles would cause many more kills than infantry weapons in that case.
    Yes, that's also a factor: how many are used? If we had the Redeemer (UT version or Kane's Wrath doesn't matter to me) but only one player per faction could use it, it would still only mean a teeny, tiny fraction of the total kills made. Would that make the weapon powerless? It's a freaking player-guided tactical nuke that insta-kills anything in it's massive AOE (or a giant robot with 2-shot=MBT kill canon, 2 variable weapon mounts on the shoulders and a disruption machine that causes all IFF tags to look hostile so people do a lot of friendly fire). Ofcourse it would be powerful! It's statistics would just not be high enough to show a difference.

Forumside goes ballistic at anything. Make a thread about how a digital watch display is better than an oldschool one and you'll get a massive battle between two groups instantly, with a third group as a possibility thrown in.
  16. Ronin Oni

Blindly make changes based on cert cost even though cert cost is NOT in direct relation to power already?

Yeah, that sounds like an excellent idea.....
  17. Dennisz125

In sarcastic way or in serious way because I'm getting tired of griding certs and I'm always using stock weapons in all the battles I encounter.
  18. Khallixtus

Right. Some things in factions are OP. However, the important thing is that the FACTIONS are BALANCED. TR have weaker LMGs, but compensate by having much better ARs. Vanu don't have anything OP, it's just that the Betelgeuse and Orion are the only strong weapons, but people overdo it way too much. The Lashers are weak unless used in an organised manner. Two lashers on a door and nothing short of a MAX is waling through it.

The NC have stronger MAXes (maybe not statistically stronger, but can be used to storm and crash points better) with them being able to fill their roles a little bit better, and Ravens just being really annoying whizzers that still hurt. Their LMGs are good, not OP good, but good in skilled hands. They are offset by... a weaker playerbase? Stats show that they have less high ranked players and a lot more low ranked players than other factions. Also, their other weapon categories, Snipers and ARs mostly, are nothing special.

Factions are balanced. Game is good. Whiners will be whiners. Play the game. Have fun. If not having fun, stop playing this game.

Done.