Player Render Distance

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Pingonaut, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Pingonaut

The render distance for infantry is terrible, is there a way to change this? Sniping is really frustrating when players pop in and out of rendering when they're really not all that far away.

I know I've seen this problem come up before, I've not heard anything about it for a few weeks, though. Is this a known problem?
    • Up x 1
  2. Hydragarium

Nope.

The drawing distance for soldiers and vehicles is handled dynamically depending on how many are near you - more people, shorter distance. No way of overriding it.
  3. Pingonaut

That's too bad. Is it just me that has the problem?
  4. Leer

Not just you. It's been around for a while and people seem to have stopped talking about it. Not because it isn't an issue just not much we can do.
  5. nukularZ

Yep, and everyone suffers it equally. I wish something like could be client-side, as my computer could handle the extra players no problem, but I also understand it would be me a HUGE advantage as an infiltrator. Players would either be forced to turn up the render count and lag, or get shot players outside of their distance.

All we can do on this one is the same as everyone else - wait for CPU optimizations.
  6. Fishpoke

It's a game breaking issue, I'm done with this game until this is resolved.

Grab a tank to push back enemy zerg> Can't see any soliders but tank is getting shot> Mag mow people till you explode

That's about the only effective strategy in a fight that has more than 2 squads. Ridiculous.
  7. Leer

This sounds like you have an extremely short rending distance in crowds? You can edit the userOptions.ini and change render distance from -1 to something like 3000 or 5000. I believe that the -1 setting lets the game guess how much to show depending on CPU/GPU usage and can reduce the distance you see people in order to keep frame rates up. When you hardcode a number it forces longer distance rendering and the size of a FPS impact will depend on your hardware. Worth a test.
  8. Puppy

Having a render distance of 9999 doesn't make a difference. When infantry can see libs 400m away and a lib has to be about 40-80m away to see infantry (which results in dying extremely fast if no one has taken out the anti air).
  9. Puppy

I'd like to point out, I would rather see player sized squares at any distance then nothing at all. It doesn't have to look good. It just has to be visible.
    • Up x 1
  10. Hydragarium

I don't think it is as much a question of the model detail as it is the number of models themselves - more people, more data that needs to be synced. Hit detection is client side (to avoid people feeling cheated from missing all of the time - it works both ways though as you'll often be killed after turning corners for no apparant reason)
    • Up x 1
  11. Puppy

Maybe that is the case. If so I hope they find a way to fix it up still because this game isn't fun in it's current state because of this and two other reasons.)
  12. Arcanum

Even if that was the main problem I don't know if they would allow that change.
  13. Nikushimi

No, its server side.

Its not even a "rendering" issue, Reality is the server is just not sending you the information.
    • Up x 1
  14. FightingFirst

They said they are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. I believe it may come in this big January update which is also supposed to help with FPS/cpu optimisation..
    FF
  15. JohnnyBftw

Snipers really suffer in big battles. I scope down an enemy and shortly after poof he dissappears. Taking blind shots where he vanished doesn't help either.
  16. Puppy

I suppose your right...
  17. Hydragarium

You and me both - this game is very dependent on long range spotting.
  18. John Doe

There's about 1 thread a day about this. SOE doesn't respond and doesn't sticky any of them, so who knows if they ever plan on fixing the damn thing. This has been known since half way through beta.

This is a game breaker, though. I realize that it's a tough technical issue to fix, but it's sort of central to the game.
  19. Leer

That is true however the topic I replied to was about about not rendering in large crowds as a result of the software (i think -1) controlling the render distance. Over riding this in useroptions can help (sometimes as you pointed out) but but it kills frames. The system does treat AIR, ground vehicles and infantry different. I haven't really seen any good technical explanation for it but assume that fast moving "AIR" needs to render so much in advice as it is gobbling up terrain and ground objects quickly. Even when movign slowly the game needs to be ready for speed increases. I don't know as I only did limited program design years and years ago. Having said that i was never in a project as big or advanced like that and i'm not a coder.