Planning to get a new rig

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by WaiZen, Jun 27, 2013.

1. WaiZen

Hey!

As the title says, I'm planning to get myself a new rig, my current PC is just...er.. Bad. I never get higher than 20 FPS in Big battles.
    Anyway, I got a budget of £1500 and after some research I concluded to get those:

- Power Supply: Corsair Gaming Series 600W PSU
    - CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K - Overclocked @ 4.4Ghz.
    - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-D3HP
    - Cooler: Akasa Nero 3 V2 CPU Cooler
    - RAM: 8GB Kingston Genesis DDR3 1866MHz
    - Hard Drive: 1 TB HDD and 120GB SSD
    - GPU: ATI 7970 x2 3Gb HIS IceQ

What do you guys think of this rig and what could be improved?

Thanks for your time

Edit: I forgot to ask, is 600W sufficient for such rig?
  2. NaySayer

Is the psu the corsair gs600?
  3. WaiZen

Yeah, it is.
  4. BoomBoom4You

Nice machine, I bought something very similar recently, but the game is poorly optimized for multi-core processors. I have all my settings on "high" and regularly dip to 40 fps in large battles, sometimes even breaching the 30s (it has to be getting really crazy). I think that's awful for the specs you listed, but just a heads up to not freak out if the same happens to you. It's not your machine, it's the game.

In "normal" and small battles I'm around 70-80 fps, and in isolated areas in the 100's.
  5. Addsome

All I would suggest is to get a higher wattage psu. 750W should be good.
    • Up x 1
  6. CoRePuLsE

try using the "unparking" tool if you haven't already, it makes a difference most of the time.

-------------------------

nice rig build there op, although i agree with Addsome that you should get a PSU with a higher wattage or else you might have problems with USB ports not supplying enough power to devices or some other annoying thing.
  7. NaySayer

8. Irathi

Nice rig you choose.

Be aware though that the new intel 4000 series are quite warm (like 10-20c warmer than the previous gen) and doesn't really perform much better than the old 3000 series. My recommendation would be to get a 3570K.

Is this your GPU ? http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-726.shtml
    Then yes 600 W will do the job nicely, they suggest 500W or more. I would suggest you stick with 600W if you need to save the money or get 800W if you consider running a crossfire setup later. Buying anything in 650-750W would be a waste for your current setup and could be too little for a crossfire setup.

Btw when you say "ATI 7970 x2 3Gb HIS IceQ " it sounds like it is a dual GPU, making it a 7990. I think the card you reffered to is the IceQx2 which refers to a dual-fan-cooler. 600W would not be enough for a 7970X2 (7990)

A lot of people will suggest you get 700W or more, but it is a waste for a single GPU build and not enough for a crossfire. I personally have a 550W that has now lasted for 5 years soon, at first it was running a phenom ii X4 and a HD4870, now i run a FX-8320 and HD7950. Not exactly the least power-hungry setup.. Still it runs fine.

My wife even has a HD4870 crossfire setup now with the phenom II on the same 550W psu, never any stability issues unless i OC and run 3dmark on it (which almost always stress the system for 100W more than a normal game).
  9. AnotherNoob

I would suggest that you take this kind of question to a hardware forum such as tom's hardware or linus tech tips, you will get much more reliable answers there.
  10. WaiZen

Yeah, It's exactly that GPU; I wish I still could edit my post :(. Anyway, I've been looking around some gaming PC's and it seems 600W is fairly good as you say, so thanks.
    I did but I was looking to get some input from people that are playing PS2 with such rig.

Thanks, I'll have a look.
  11. Irathi

Cooler master / corsair are nice also chieftech. Choose an expensive 600W over an inexpensive 650W/700W even though they might cost the same. Go for at least 80plus bronze. Make certain it has the correct connections (they do mostly).