[Guide] Planetside 2 Weapon Locker Budget series: TAR Review

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by IronTyrant, Aug 19, 2013.

1. IronTyrant

Hi again people, today i bring another review, this time the TR TAR assault riffle:
    check it out

In a nutshell:
    pros
    good rate of fire
    good hip fire
    easy to use in close ranges

cons
    bad recoil
    only viable up to medium ranges
    • Up x 2
  2. Kociboss

Solid choice for any TR medic. It's also the only TR AR with 0.75x ADS speed multiplier (except NS-11A ofc).

I created video response to your video in case people want to see some more gameplay :3

Your review is pretty much spot on.
  3. Epic High Five

Good video, but forgot:

pro:
    High ROF combined with free exmags.

That's what makes the difference for me imho. The Carnage BR properly kitted is a beast in the same ways but those extra 10 bullets are huge.

This is the best TR medic gun imho, and the only one I use.

edit - you can see the difference the exmags make @ 1:51. Any NC/VS gun and that'd be two kills tops, then the third kills you while you're reloading.

I run with a grip and find it accurate enough in bursts to kill people on the ground from a tower airpad with considerably less than a mag.
    • Up x 1
  4. IronTyrant

glad you raised that point pal did miss it :)
  5. IronTyrant

glad you liked it pal
  6. MadSeasonOfGrief

TAR or die was probably the best advice i've ever received as to what I should get as a primary for my medic XD
  7. Kyouki

Necro post
  8. Epic High Five

Still good advice. The TR have a great selection of ARs but you'd never know it because the TAR is the clear front runner.
  9. Kyouki

I recently got the auraxium with the TAR. Thing is OP with a foregrip. I'm currently using the NS-11P on my medic. The assault rifles are crazy good.
  10. Maleficus04

Heh. I use the TRV. I definitely think the TAR is a great gun, it's just not the gun for me. It's recoil is so foreign compared to the TRV that I can't hit sh*t reliably past 50 meters. The TRV on the other hand doesn't have as good of a hip fire CoF, but with an adv laser sight, it's almost exactly the same as a TAR without one, which is good enough for me. The extra 45 RPM is also nice. The .75 ADS modifier is basically a non-issue for me, because if I'm constantly moving while firing, at any point, I'm hip-firing. Otherwise, I move at intervals (while not ADS) just to try to throw people off at range.

Basically, I think it just depends on your play-style. I recommended the TAR to my friend because he almost never hip-fires, so in CQC, ADS he needs all of the movement speed he can get. And if he ever does need to hip-fire, it's great for that. The TAR's reload speed is also a nice bonus. I on the other hand, almost exclusively hip-fire inside of 8 meters, unless I get the drop on someone. At range I can control the TRV's recoil so much better that I can't imagine ever switching. Different flavors for different people. ;)