Planetside 2 uses SOE uninstaller which doesn't work

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by FriendlyHuman, Nov 6, 2019.

1. FriendlyHuman

Issue Reproduction:
    1. Install game with PS2_setup.exe. You have correct uninstaller. And you get correct DBG record at Programs and Features
    2. Try to update. Your uninstaller (and maybe some other files?) changes on SOE ones. And you get second SOE record at Programs and Features
    As a consequence, you can't delete the game by normal means. Tested on Windows 7 x64 SP1

Workaround:
    Use PS2_setup.exe again to get correct uninstaller. Though it most probably won't delete SOE records.
    Maybe you can delete the game through steam but I didn't check this.

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/bb66qh/soe_uninstaller_instead_of_dbg_cant_delete_the/
    • Up x 2
  2. dom11990

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately it does not resolve my problem. I downloaded ps2_setup.exe fresh from the website, ran it and selected uninstall, same error.

Next I tried repair, then ran setup again, selected uninstall, same error. Lastly I went into the the add/remove programs, clicked uninstall... same error.

Please. Help.
  3. FriendlyHuman

Use "Repair" to get correct uninstaller. Close launcher before it downloaded incorrect uninstaller. Then use uninstaller in the game folder.
    • Up x 1
  4. dom11990

Thank you! That worked! To get rid of the duplicate entry open the "uninstall a program" window via the control panel (not the Windows 10 Add/Remove, the traditional W7 one). Click uninstall and it will ask to remove the entry after failing to uninstall.

cheers
    dom
  5. OldPittie

Dont work with my copy :( Looks lika a problem with the Visual C++ Redistributble.

EDIT: Ah! Now I get it, sorry. The launcher should be closed bevore it starts to download.
  6. Redfeather1975

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

Please for ****'s sake help me.
  7. Redfeather1975

I am sorry, I understand now. The planetside 2 launcher updates the game and replaces the uninstaller file with the incorrect one and it can no longer uninstall and windows gets two entries of planetside 2 in the program list. That is exactly what's happened to me.

[IMG]