Planetside 2 Crashing my Enitire Network.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Moz, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Moz

Ok so this is a new one on me.

After the latest patch I have started getting a very strange issue, PS2 is taking down my entire network.

I did a little search and found this:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/planetside-crashing-the-internet.48735/

This is indeed what i am getting, the DSL light on my fibre router goes out and no device on my network can access the internet. I shut the game and a short while later it comes back up.

The bottom post says the fix is to disable voice comms. He is 100% correct, i disabled my voice comms and no more DSL dump outs.

This would be all good, however my outfit sometimes runs open platoons where we communicate via ingame comms so i could really use a fix for this issue.

Does anyone know of any fix so i can get my ingame comms working?

Cheers.
  2. Moz

Anybody?

Really dont want to have to open a support ticket.
  3. baka

Possibly not a help, but you could give QoS a try. If your DSL router allows it, turn on QoS and set the maximum upload and download rates. It might help your router control the connection that your machine is using better. It may do nothing, too.
    I have never seen this issue myself with the comms, but I am also on a cable connection.
  4. PWGuy93

Interesting... I've had the same issue three times in the past 8 days and thought I was one of the phone tech messing with the local wiring. The symptoms you describe are identical to what I have experienced.
  5. tigerchips

6. tigerchips

Okay, happened again, it's nothing to do with ports, unless one of the ports is changing dynamically.
  7. Napsterbater

Port Forwarding or Port Triggering is for inbound connections, Every port PS2 uses is outbound it does not use or require any Inbound ports, setting any is a waste of time.
  8. ItsYourCPUDontWorry

Wow, this is strange. Over the past few weeks, my laptop's Wifi has been randomly disconnecting. I thought it was a router problem at first but every other computer and device in my house is working fine. The disconnection problems started happening when I downloaded one of the last two patches but I can't remember which one exactly (Haven't used my laptop that much over the last few weeks), although, I think it probably started during the Valkyrie update.

My connection is fine until I start playing the game and then it just starts disconnecting periodically. Whenever I stop playing the game for a certain amount of time my connection returns to normal (It takes a while) and I don't have to worry about disconnects as much. I have only noticed the disconnection hiccups happening once I launch Planetside 2.

UPDATE: While typing this out, I decided to start up other games and applications and didn't get any connection problems. I haven't had a chance to play Planetside 2 lately so I will see what happens the next time I log a session. I can't stress enough, however, that every single time I started having disconnection problems, they started while I was in the middle of playing PS2 and would continue for a very long time afterwards (It seemed to take hours for my connection to become consistent), and then return to normal.

If I have enough time this week, I will take a look at my laptop and try to find out what the problem is, but I'm almost certain it has something to do with PS2.
  9. Sliced

I've had this problem in the past.
    Comms on this game have never worked properly since beta.
    I later turned it off (a few weeks into beta) and left it off and since then this problem has never come back.
    Lowering the sound doesn't work, you have to disable it completely.
  10. Aaren

They do apparently:

From here. Not sure really what you can do about it if your modem/router is having issues handling the dynamic shifts. Disabling in game VOip may be your only option until SOE see's fit to bless you with a fix.
  11. t31os

If you have a separate modem and router, try a direct connection to the modem just for a brief session and see if it's ok. If you do indeed have them separate and the problem disappears, then it's a simple case of *get a better router*. My previous router needed at least 1 reboot a week because it couldn't flush out old connections very well, since replaced and not required a reboot in quite some time now. I'm not suggesting you have bad hardware, simply suggesting it's something worth trying if you can.

What hardware are you using for your connection by the way? Is it ISP supplied or your own, or a mixture of the two?
  12. Napsterbater

If your router/modem is crashing its a bug with your equipment, even if PS2 was sending out some kind of bad packet it should be dropped by the equipment not crash it.

This has happened before with other games and applications its generally a problem with that router/modem handling a legit packet/connection wrongly and crashing itself.

See if your router/modem has any VoIP settings like ALG or "Application Helper" settings (not QOS), and disable them.

Better yet post the model of your modem/router.
  13. tigerchips

Alg or dos settings won't do anything, tried those a while back.

I turned off VOIP, can't say i've had the problem since then, although there was one time where it desynced but it went back to normal straight away.

I have a Huawei Echolife 532. I've recently had problems with dropped packets, so i lowered both my MTU Values to 1400, and that fixed it. Maybe this game doesn't like a high MTU value.

Had to create my own batch file to find this packet loss.

Basically, what it does is open Windows media player and plays a sound file (radar sound) everytime i get packet loss. So i can play the game and know instantly if i get dropped packets.
  14. Napsterbater

DSL with PPPoE has a max MTU of 1492, no PPPoE its 1500. Generally default it best.

No matter the MTU setting it will not affect pings unless you set the payload size option.

Planetside 2 also uses very small packets for game and audio data, 554 bytes max per packet in my test, well below the 1400 you set so it would not have changed anything.

TL:DR MTU will not affect packet loss.

Can you pull up the DSL Line stats from the Modem showing DSL SNR and ATTN?
  15. Amodin

After the Sept 16th patch, PS2 now hard locks my computer, then force reboots it. There is something network related on this last patch, because what I am finding is the application is crashing the network card on my computer. The Peer Network Resolution Protocol is being dumped by PS2, hard locking the system and then forcing the computer to reboot because PS2 won't let is restart.