Planetside 2 Constantly Crashing

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by SoggyPoons, Jul 28, 2013.

1. SoggyPoons

System Specs:
    GPU: nVidia GTX 680
    CPU: Intel i7 3770k
    RAM: 16GB something something
    Motherboard: Gigabyte H61N-USB3

I run Planetside 2 on mostly max settings, with Textures being on Ultra, Draw Distance of 6000 and PhysX on Medium. (everything else is highest/turned on where applicable ).
    I have had several problems running the game (such as random frame lag, even when just at warpgate). I do use the nVidia GeForce experience optimize function, however the only difference is that it recommends High Texture setting instead of ultra. My problem is that with either option, the game will always crash spontaneously. It won't come up with a "PS2.exe is not responding", it just disappears.

I was assuming it may be due to the memory allocation (lots of "high quality" textures to load = crash?) but that couldn't be on my part, this rig is pretty solid. Is it a current development problem? If not, how can I work around this?
  2. fumz

Why such a high draw distance? I've read (repeatedly) that even the default 4000 is overkill, even for pilots.

As to your issue: turn off physx. It's broken.
  3. SoggyPoons

Because I like to stand on cliff edges and stare into forever.

So that's causing the crashes? That's a major shame, it really does add to the atmosphere of the game. As for the quality settings, are they all fine?
  4. fumz

Ultra textures are actually faster because they're not compressed.Your settings are fine. The only questionable thing would be Experience. If you're having issues with 32X.XX drivers commonly doled out advice is to not install the audio, update, experience, or 3d driver; just go with the gpu driver and physx. "Optimal" is relative.

I have been reading there are a lot of guys who're getting "out of memory" error, despite having lot of ram. Oddly, most of the people with this problem have 4GB's or 16, like you. I don't think I've seen someone with 8GB's chime in, but, I don't read every thread, so who knows?

In your ps2 directory see if there's an file name outofmemory.txt?
  5. SoggyPoons

I do have the outofmemory.txt in my PS2 directory (not sure what that indicates).
    As for the driver, yes I'm currently on 320.xx.

So what can I do for now? I'll give turning off PhysX completely and see how that works
  6. fumz

You're going to have to submit a support ticket to deal with the outofmemory issue. There's no SOE guide on how to deal with it on the forums, which is... wow... bad.

In the meantime, if it were me I'd remove all traces of nvidia drivers and all that other crap installed with it and start clean, this time only do physx and the driver, and select clean install: http://www.overclock.net/t/1150443/how-to-remove-your-nvidia-gpu-drivers

I've been switching up drivers with each gpu release in a fight to maintain good fps, and some have clearly been better with some patches than others; however, from reading other forums I'm fairly certain my experience with the 700 series probably won't apply to the 600 series? I can say that if you're going to use 322.18 then use a different physx version than the one that comes bundled with the driver... 322.18 physx is broken too.

The 322.18 driver however remains the best; it's got the greatest color depth, it's the smoothest, and is the fastest... this is on 780 sc acx. I know a lot of guys have complained about that driver, and yes, there are some issues, but I haven't seen them. If you're worried about texture flickering in BF3, there's a way to clear that up (flush the game's texture cache). 326.01's have been the second fastest, but they're not as smooth as the 18's, and they dropped ~ 10fps for me on this patch. As for the current whql set (322.49), they've been the worst. They were bad 322.39 beta, bad 322.49 beta and bad 322.49 whql... but again, that's just been my experience. Most guys with 600 and 500 series cards swear by 314.22, so you might want to grab a copy of those? Also heard good things about 326.19 and 326.29. I've ran them all, at least on my end they could not touch the 18's.
  7. The Wounded

I was playing on ultra and the game kept crashing without generating an error report or giving me a message, turning it down to high fixed the crashing.

No idea why it's happening since it just closes the game and i'm back on the desktop.

This is with the latest nvidia drivers on a GTX 560 TI 448, I do have the out of memory txt file in my PS2 folder.
  8. xVirtue

Turn off particles / PhysX and lower draw distance as well as render quality.
  9. Whiskey Victor

Just looking for another thread to confirm a fix (so far) for me:

Turn off full screen mode. Try windowed as large as you can get it.
  10. korben44

Hello folks,

Same problem here, games keeps crashing over and over with no error message, (Intel I5, GTX 650ti, 8gig Ram)
    Ive tried several settings, reinstalling the game, checking files, no changes yet,

Ive opened a Support ticket and lighted a candle.

The good thing about it, is that your are not alone bro!
  11. Badpitt

There's a few threads running on this forum reporting / griping about the same technical issue. I had no problems running ultra settings until the small patch hit on Friday. Played last night for an hour with draw distance turned down to 3000, game seemed stable. Wish SOE would pick up pace on a 64 bit version plus in-game ultra graphics settings.
  12. Artifex78

As already mentioned by someone else start with disabling PhysX. If that doesn't help switch to the latest 314.xx driver.

I had regular lock-ups (not PS2 related) with 320.xx (and above) drivers on my GTX 480.
  13. Maxwest

I have the exact same problem. People tell me to disable PhysX, only I have no idea how.
  14. Artifex78

Sorry, don't have the game's UI in front of me. Try Settings \ Graphics ..GPU Physics or something like that.
  15. ALeviathan

The problem there isn't 1 fix for all. What works for 1 may not work for the next. To save yourself some time, I'll list what I can remember fixes from different people.

Turn PhysX off
    Use 314.21 or .22 drivers
    Nothing on Ultra
    Stand alone i.e. not using Steam to run the game
    A profile set up for PS2 in the Nvidia control panel so it's not running on Global settings
    Swapping from full screen to full screen window to windowed
    Un park your CPU cores
    Using over clocking software for the CPU ( Always manually do it)
    Making sure CPU over clock is stable and or dropping down a notch
    Turn off Aero and Aero Peak
    Disabling useless back ground programs
    Uninstall display drivers. Use a driver cleaner to clean out old drivers in safe mode. Manually delete old driver folder. Install new drivers.