Planeside 2 is not Call Of Duty

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mietz, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Mietz

It's just not.
  2. mercTanko

I havent seen anyone compare this game to CoD (i am still new to the forum - so i am sure there are people out there) - but how is showing 1 Flight video going to debunk the whole CoD-wannabe theory? what about the infantry battle in swiss cheese infrastructures.
  3. G1n

derp derp derping their way to PS2 near you:
    [IMG]
  4. Fox234

SOE already said PS2 took heavy influence from the popular shooters of today, namely CoD and BF3. Don't know why people try to deny it. SOE isn't shy about it.
  5. Emperor

If you wish to preserve your sanity, you should leave the forums. Leave the forums right now and never look back.

There are people on this board who think that CoD (often meaning MW2 and MW3, as they are hate-bandwagoneers who forget that Call of Duty actually had some good titles in the franchise) and BF3 are the only two FPS games that exist outside of PS2. There was a reason the beta forums were wiped; it was filled with non-stop "CALL OF PLANETFIELD" threads remarking about how their glorious promised sequel has been dumbed down for CoD and BF3 players.

I assume that, since you have not seen any of this yet, this must be your first five minutes on the forum. You should go. It's not good to stay here.
    • Up x 1
  6. Pyreal Rabbit

lol

6 yos with glasses. I wonder if their eyes still make tears from all the zombie TV staring they do.
  7. Freyar

This isn't Planetside One. The sooner people realize that and get over it, the sooner we can move on to introduce new improvements.
  8. Moises J.Ramos

I agree. BF3= Dumbdown for CoD.... PS2 =Dumb Down for CoD/BF3 players. Gladly waiting for PS1 F2P
    • Up x 1
  9. iGamer1990

if its a fps game ofcourse people gonna compare it too COD which i dont really understand
  10. G1n

The reason people compare this to CoD is indicative of their age, some older gents on here would say it borrowed from CS.
    • Up x 1
  11. Goats

You are exactly the kind of person he is talking about. You do realize he's not agreeing with you, right?
  12. mercTanko

haha i spent more than 5 minutes here, more like a few hours.. haha. The forum traffic wasnt high so i can see why i havent seen a CoD post yet.

Don't get me wrong, i witnessed BF3 becoming a dumbed down version of BF2 (in terms of sticking to the core gameplay) to cater to CoD players too - it isnt just me. So with this, i can appreciate people not wanting their games (PS2) dumbed down or stream lined even if i disagree with them. People who compare and complain are coming from somewhere it would be arrogant to ignore their concerns - i ignore the obvious non-constructive rants.
  13. gunshooter

why do planetside 2 players think they're above CoD or something when PS2 is a clone of CoD's cousin, Battlefield 3?
  14. Freyar

Naturally Call of Duty iterated on CS.

Part of the problem here is that CoD does well because of it's framerate. PS2 is VERY enjoyable in combat at 60FPS (I've been lucky and managed to stay stable for about two minutes while fending off TR from a watchtower.) However, with PS2 dipping lower more often due to CPU chokes, that "smoothness" and the usability factor kind of wears off.

30-40 with CoD styled mechanics is doable, whereas 60 with CoD styled mechanics is how it manages to do well. I've got to admit, modern shooters have absolutely killed my interest in PS1's older mechanics. I can't stand having a static weapon, I can't stand having such a limited draw distance (and that problem DOES extend to PS2 as well), and I find myself more frustrated when I try to go back to it than actually enjoying my time.

That said, I do miss the HART.
  15. Emperor

It's not exactly age, it just seems like people who played Planetside 1 have minimal experience with other FPS games within the past decade or so. If PS2 is to be compared to any BF game, 2142 is the closest. In fact Higby himself said in the Gamespot stream, I believe it was, that the game is closer to Battlefield 2 than BF3.

Comments like "swiss-cheese facilities and no doors" harken back to old deathmatch-style maps where situational awareness was paramount. (Something I notice lacking from the majority of the playerbase in this game) Last I saw, CoD and Battlefield never had jump pads, which were a staple in deathmatch games back in the late 90s. Regenerating shields were popularized by Halo, which came out in 2001. This game borrows a lot from a ton of different FPS predecessors, yet what's the one thing you hear on this forum? "PS2 HAS A MODERN DESIGN, BF3 AND CoD!"
  16. Mietz

serious thread for serious people
  17. Moises J.Ramos

Let's see

Planetside 2:Loadouts, Capping all day
    Battlefield/CoD:Loadouts, Capping all Day

Planetside 1:No loadouts
  18. Freyar

If you had them set up as favorites, you did. Similar setup.
  19. Lethalspoon

I've definitely favored Battlefield over CoD, myself, but to say that this game just mimics one and/or the other is just silly. You can see that rather than trying to take the successful elements of the other franchise and reskin them, SOE has understood what made other games work, and try and put that into PS2.

1) You have huge maps, and who doesn't like that? I know Battlefield 2/3 had large maps, and that was a lot of fun.
    2) You can hot drop into the action, and just as easily log off when your done. Pretty sure CoD had the same idea about their multiplayer.
    3) Any sane person will realize that after playing ANY Tribes game, jet packs are a must in any game set in the future.
    4) Teamwork is highly encouraged. It's difficult, but not impossible, to run around without ever joining a squad, or working with your team, but you'll never be able to capture a Tech Lab without doing your part.

I could go on, but the message here is that no one game has had these key features, and compiling them into one game really creates a whole new experience that you can't really compare any one game to.
  20. TeknoBug

More like BF3 than CoD.