Personal Rules of Engagement?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Meeka, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Meeka

Are there any personal rules of engagement, above and beyond the game mechanics, you follow in Planetside 2?

Here's a few that I seem live by...

1. If I am in a tank, I will never fire at infantry on or near a spawn room unless they are firing at me; MAXes and Heavies and Engineer AV Turrets will be fired on only if they engage me first.

2. If I encounter a Sunderer while in a tank, I will never farm it. My mission is to destroy it as immediately as possible. I won't engage infantry surrounding it unless they are a threat to my destroy the Sunderer (such as LAs or Engineers running at me, Heavies, MAXes, etc).

3. I will not 'refrain from destroying a Sunderer' just so people around me can farm it. I will destroy it, regardless of your feelings about it.

4. While sometimes I find myself in a over-populated base; I tend to avoid being on the "zerg side". I'd rather fight an equal numbers or a battle where I am outnumbered... zerging is for those who don't want thick XP.

5. As a sniper, I generally don't like long distance sniping; I find it boring and time consuming... instead, I like to do things close range. I can do distance real well when I wanna, but I prefer not to.

6. If I'm sniping a vehicle terminal to prevent people from pulling vehicles, I generally won't shoot the same person twice unless they send me a hate tell. If you're at a terminal and I shoot you once... you're safe to go to the terminal and pull a vehicle, I won't do it again. If you start looking for me for more than a brief moment, however, I will shoot you again.

7. Lock on weapons are the defacto counter against A2G ESFs; you will be blown up. :p
    • Up x 4
  2. Liewec123

currently...
    someone flying an ESF far away from combat and seemingly scanning the area is obviously looking for pumpkins,
    don't be a d%%k! leave them alone. ;)
    • Up x 1
  3. ColonelChingles

If I blow up another tank and the crew bails, I won't shoot them unless they have an AV MANA turret, Archer, or are charging me (I assume they have mines). If they run away, I go after other tanks.

If I stumble across an Infiltrator in the woods who's not engaging friendlies, I don't shoot them. I flash my lights and chase them about. We might even do some impromptu Lightning surfing.

I do shoot almost everything else though. Infantry don't get a pass from me because often enough they're a greater threat than enemy tanks!
  4. LodeTria

I destroy sunderers if the enemy has too much population. Otherwise I will destroy them once our factions reaches it but doesn't kill it.
  5. TheShrapnelKing

Too honorabru.

No mercy. Kill all enemies on sight no matter where or when.
    • Up x 2
  6. HadesR

On my alt ..

I only Fight VS :p
  7. Call-Me-Kenneth

i never farm infantry as a tank or air. i always prioritize targets like sunderers or well positioned tanks.

as infil, i never target random infantry, only support. that is, killing kamikaze LAs, medics who are good at their job, Heavies doing AP, Engineers on turrets or repairing (specially pet engineers near maxes) and other infils.

in general i try not to kill for the sake of killing, if im holding a lane as a Heavy its because we have to stop them from moving forward. if you try to, you get the hose.

i also avoid engaging newbs too much, its really unfair. every time i kill a lvl1 after he drop podded in some random place i always send a tell welcoming them to planetside and tell them to stick with the pack for a while. i try not to sound snide about it, i would really hate to give new players a bad impression of the game and its players. i also don't engage small two/ three men groups whom i can tell are just a group of friends having fun capping a base fighting other noobs from my faction. it makes me feel like a bully.

i try to look for good players/outfits and look for a fight there. i've had some pretty tense and long (15 minutes+) lane fights only then the game gets good. specially if it ends in a stalemate, i like those.

same when flying or driving a tank. i don't do stupid thinks like flying a Stealth ESF up to a tank just to drop as a drifter LA and look for a cheap kill. thats pretty lame, but i do love some dive bombing to get them to stop farming my blues.

same, i hate it when my gunner gets fixated on a player hopping about when there's other targets on the field. but the moment they drop a mine or tower they are fair game.
  8. belthazor3457

I have a personal rule not to teamkill sunderers to put one in its place unless I've seen them attempting to damage friendly vehicles or their positioning is so bad it's a tactical necessity.
  9. Hammerlock

i try to snipe hostile snipers and repair/heal everything that call for a engi/medic
  10. Elkybam

I try not to play heavy assault unless the enemy is spewing them out constantly or if I need to auraxium some weapons.

I like to use any weapon that isn't mainstream as to how everyone uses (I revisited KSR-35/AMR-66/T32 Bull/EM1), just to add diversity and a "uniqueness" to the kill.

In my 700 hours of playtime total over 2 years, I've only played MAX for two hours and 13 minutes.
  11. RedArmy

when im using Mr Shotgun, try not to aim for the dick
    • Up x 1
  12. Taemien

The same ROE I use in every game with PVP:

Red = Dead.

I have enemies set as red. There is only two factions to me, the one I'm playing and the one I'm killing. And I will do everything within the rules to ensure my enemies go down.

I don't play fairly, nicely, or in some people's minds, honorably. I don't expect such in return. I want my opponents to bring their A game, I don't want them to hold back. I want them to use every dirty trick in the book. And I definitely do not want them to patronize me. If you beat me, you've beaten me. I don't make excuses. Even if you outnumber me, that just means you won socially which is still a skill. I expect the same in return to my defeated opponents. I don't want their excuses, just for them to try again.

But there is one thing I won't do. I won't taunt someone personally. An entire team, sure they are fair game (especially if they are holding back or being skittish). But person to person I don't see the point of. Its a waste of time and intrudes on my sense of competition. And this is due to my belief that competition isn't personal. Its a fun activity that brings out the best and potential in both sides.
    • Up x 1
  13. Eternaloptimist

I shoot everything that is enemy. The weaker or more disadvantaged the better. If you find yourself in a fair fight you haven't done your planning properly.
    • Up x 1
  14. Obscura

1. Always attempt to push during infantry fights when fighting a stalemate and my faction is bogged down trying to take the point. most of the time people will always push up with me, except when they don't lol. Nothing like just pulling a max suit and mashing F into 30 TR by myself
  15. FieldMarshall

A few of the rules i live by.

1. If someone snipes me, its a challenge. Change to sniper and duel them
    2. If you TK someone, no matter what you are doing let go of the controls click their name and send them a sorry tell. Even if it kills you.
    3. If a friendly MAX calls for repairs in the spawnroom and there are no Engineers. V-9 and change to engineer.
    4. If you play Medic and a friendly MAX calls for a medic when he needs repairs, put them on ignore.
    5. Its ok to shoot hovering Liberators through the spawnroom shields.
    6. Winning the alert doesent matter. At all.
    7. Its ok to kill the same BR1 over and over again in the same way. Eventually he will adapt and change to counter you, so you are actually teaching him instead of hand-holding by letting him live.
    8. Aim high.
    9. Ignore annoying people on voice without making a drama speech about putting them on ignore.
    10. Dont stop moving. Assume there is a sniper everywhere. Twitch when you stand still, and randomly often change direction when moving forward.
    • Up x 2
  16. Alan Kalane

One rule:
    Never zerg. It's boring and inefficient. Camped spawnroom/65% pop+ = I'm outta here
  17. JobiWan

I always try to go the other way from everybody else. If my faction is zerging, I'll skip to the next base or the one after that. Or one the other side of the map. If they're all spewing out of the spawn room charging like lemmings to a cap point, I'll go the other way round and flank from the side or the rear.

If I accidentally TK someone, if there's a sundy or terminal nearby I'll switch to med and revive them where practical. And always apologise for a TK.

If someone is farming in an ESF by hovering over a base they can't even cap, I'll make it my mission to get them to go away or kill them.

If someone is obviously AFK or looking at the map, I'll still kill them, because they should have hidden better.
  18. Sh4n4yn4y

As a pilot:
    1. I don't hover farm, I unload a clip of hellfires and/or machine gun rounds in a flyby, and then go round for another attack. I also usually go for a more carpet bombing approach, too. My aim isn't to get kills, it's to soften the enemy, and push them into buildings so my allies can push forward. I will only hover 'farm' when supporting allies trying to get into a biolab. I will float outside and unleash hell through that doorway. On the same note, I refuse to use a hover frame. Racer all the way.

2. I won't touch coyotes. They are the weapons of scum. I don't care how many times I get shot down, I will keep gunning for people using coyotes.

3. If an enemy aircraft comes into the battle, I will engage. Even though I am a mediocre hover waltzer (Never got the reverse maneuver down properly), I will go after them. I particularly like it when they run. Everyone knows that if you run, you're dead.

Infantry:

1. I tend to play LA, unless I am supporting MAXes, or holding a point with a turret. As such, I have access to one of the most hated tactics. C4 Fairying. However, I will only use it on tanks that are just asking for it with terrible positioning. MAX clusters, and clusters of medics. Once again, I'm not after the kills, I just want to break the stalemate those clusters cause.

2. If I am an engineer, I will focus on making sure those MAXes stay alive. I will follow them through a hail of bullets (Using them as shields, if possible), but I will continue repairing and resupplying them to my dying breath.

3. Only MAX I pull is burster, and then I will unleash hell on anything that tries to attack my armor column.

Tanks:

1. Be very careful of friendly fire. Although I won't be held accountable for morons who stand behind my tank in a battle. The game gives you a thousand warnings about how stupid that is.

2. Go after those blasted shriekers the NC love using so much. Go after them with a vengeance. Oh, you're hiding behind that hill with your cursed shrieking missiles, trying to blow up tanks that are retreating for repairs? SHRIEK THIS *****. *Python HEAT to the face*

Most importantly though: I play for my team, not my personal KDR, points or bragging rights. Most of my tactics are simply to help my Empire push forward. If I only got 1 kill on my lolpod run, but cause the cluster to cower in fear, and damaged their shields enough for my team to kill them, I'm happy. I don't care about my killstreaks. You want killstreaks and score, go play any other FPS. Planetside is a combined arms game.

Also, don't get angry when I get killed by something. I mean, I just got murdered by a HA, a Sniper, a liberator or a C4 fairy. So what, I respawn, and I try again. I also specifically flank around to kill the people ambushing my team.

When approaching a massive battle, stop a moment to admire the sound effects. To watch the line of tanks advancing through a storm of tracers. Watch the pretty lights at night.

^That was a much longer post than I expected. Lol.^

*Edit*
    After just reading another "OP this, please NERF" thread. I refuse to complain something is OP. I mean, I've been playing since Planetside 1 days, I suffered through all the OP things, and I took a kind of twisted pleasure out of it. It always felt more... cool when I had to run for cover the second I saw a liberator, for instance. Now you can pretty much jump up and down and shoot your carbine at them for lolz.
    • Up x 1
  19. Khallixtus

I only really have two.

1) I only kill NC on my VS alt.

2) I try not to repeatedly farm new players.
  20. customer548

- Don't farm BR1 to 10 solo new players. Whisper them to leave. If they keep on coming in solo again and again, just leave the place. The guy will be happy to capture the base by himself.
    - When a cool guy from your friendlist is solo dueling more than 1 of your teammates, don't shoot and leave in order to give him a rest.
    - If a guy had to fight to clear a generator room and that you're just following him, let him activate or diffuse the generator.
    - Always try to apologize when you TK in silly ways. Even 10 minutes later.
    - When a vehicule TK you more than one time without any apologize, go C4.
    - If an opponent owns you in a fair and unexpected way, congratulate him.
    - Pull a Max only if you have bo other alternative (Once in a week).
    - Shotguns are only allowed for defending overcrowded towers.
    - Play as an HA only when you need it (5 times in a week).
    - Give protection to Engis who repair generators.
    - Shoot Maxes in the head only.
    - Avoid cheezy ways to victory.
    - Stop dying in stupid ways.
    - Don't play VS.
    • Up x 1