Performances tweaks that makes no sense at all

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Rantgen, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Rantgen

So, I posted a thread about how bad my game runs with my pc (amd 965, HD6870, 8 gig ram, 1080p with everything on low/off, 75% render quality)
    So, other than the fact that my game is GPU bound even though it's using 300 mg of vga memory (1gb max on the 6870), i was messing around with the graphics options in order to get rid of the horrible input lag that i get in game when going down to 30 fps in large scale battles.

Out of ideas, i tried enabling the "terrible" v-sync, and now my game feels like butter. Even when going down to low fps, i don't get so much input lag (i mean, there's still a delay, like i have an acceleration on the mouse, and a delay to the keyboard Keys), and obv there's no more screen tearing.
    Another thing is that i knew that vsync lock your fps to 60, and when it goes under 60 it locks you to 30 fps. The fps counter (alt+f) says instead that i often go to 40/50.

So, what the hell is wrong with the ingame vsync? Why enabling that gives me better performances instead of making the input lag worse?
  2. FunBotan

I don't see any logical reason for vsync to make lag worse in modern games with time-based animations (someone correct me if i'm wrong). It's just when people can't solve a problem rationlally they begin to look for patterns that usually make no sense.
    If tweaking game input settings doesn't affect the input lag, the reason is more likely to be in the direction of drivers/harware rather than FPS, imho.