PC build:Would these Build Specs. run PS2 on medium-high settings w/ good FPS

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by takshie, May 11, 2013.

1. Technologist

This is sort of interesting. In large battles (zergs) my GPU is absolutely maxed out and cooking at full load/fan and still at 80's-to 90's C. Today was a hot day and it hit 95C. But my CPU is barely breaking a sweat (20-25% usage) and not at all crying for mercy.

Why do you assume all systems run like your setup? If anything my GPU and CPU are doing the opposite of what you just posted and I'm always well over 100fps in big zergs.

I probably did 30 tweaks to get my system to run PS2 this fast. MARLI, unparked cores, ini changes, overclocking CPU and GPU, my monitor to 130hz, .exe running as Admin, process priority changed. Even the drivers to my video card have been tweaked so that my RAMDAC will run at 500Mhz not the maximum of 400.
  2. BlackDove

Wow... The Apple is right about what he's been saying.

And IDK how you're over 100fps in big zergs. I'm always CPU limited, the more players there are, considering the CPU is what does all of that, while the GPU just renders the frames and PhysX particles.

Contrary to what you claim to do, I underclock my GPU since there's an issue with 2D screens in PS2 loading GPU's like a power virus(see my overheating map and store screen threads). Since my single 660Ti is more than capable of rendering this game at max settings with PhysX on at 1920x1080, it doesn't really affect me negatively to underclock.
  3. SilverAura

Open task manager, then enter into a moderate sized battle. Press Alt+F and look straight up so your CPU is the bottleneck instead of your GPU. Now look at your framerate for a few seconds. Return to task manager and look at the line graphs. If your line graphs are anything less than 100%, your framerate could be better.

The fact that neither mid-ranged or high-ranged processors alike aren't making full use of the CPU is proof that the game is still unoptimized.

In short, just because you've got higher end hardware doesn't mean your hardware isn't suffering from the same issue we're all having. It's just not as noticeable (or a problem for you) until you're sinking below a comfortable framerate. Until then, I think it's a little unfair to assume that the people having problems are the cause of their own problems and not the game.

And look, no game is perfectly optimized. No one hear is expecting that. However with a game this massive and particularly hard on the CPU, it's expected that the game have more attention to getting as close to perfectly optimized as reasonably possible. It's like how engines such as Crytek are designed to be stunningly beautiful pay most of their attention to optimizing GPU usage as much as possible. Whatever the main attraction is, it's expected that the particular hardware responsible for pulling it off has top priority in being optimized well enough to actually do what it's expected to do, as efficient as possible.
  4. Technologist

I pretty much did this "a few days ago" (minus the battle) and recorded it. I was holding my Iphone while flying and switching windows so I pointed up into the sky and climbed so I wouldn't crash. Frame rate went to over 200FPS looks like 200-260fps (2560x1440P) and it stayed on GPU while climbing. I even brought up the processor load graphs so you can see the CPU load and my GPU temps and loads.

5. Technologist

The only time I see CPU instead of GPU (By way of ALT F) is the first 1-2 seconds when I enter the warp gate for the first time and when I try to record any type of video. (MSI Afterburner, twitch or built in recording)

During game play and large zergs it stays on GPU.
  6. BlackDove

The video recording thing, I can understand. However, I don't know how it says you're GPU limited in a large fight with the "normal" CPU you have.

Does your GPU load to 100% when you view a 2D screen like the people posting in my threads about the map/store page temperature issues? I'm curious since you record videos and post them. I've temporarily "fixed" it by reducing the power target of my GPU(GTX 660Ti) to 80%(still CPU limited with my i5-2320). If you can compare the GPU load playing vs in a map, menu or in game store page(anything 2D seems to do it), that'd be helpful.